Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New "Cheap" iPhones

• 02-07-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭

Oh I hope there's at least one with a darker shell

cheap_iphone_main_article_leak_1_1372666361_540x540.jpg?w=540&h=389cheap_iphone_main_article_leak_4_1372666476_540x540.jpg?w=540&h=332

Source

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

They look like modified iPod touch cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Even if it is the real thing, wasn't it part of apple's strategy to sell them in "upcoming markets/economies" (or whatever the correct term is). So India/china and countries like that? Don't think its in apple's plans to sell them anywhere in (western) Europe... There's always Internet shopping of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Not real

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

flyguy wrote: »
    Even if it is the real thing, wasn't it part of apple's strategy to sell them in "upcoming markets/economies" (or whatever the correct term is). So India/china and countries like that? Don't think its in apple's plans to sell them anywhere in (western) Europe... There's always Internet shopping of course.

Analysts are always coming up with silly stuff like that. No way it will happen. If they sell them, they'll sell them everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Every year the same rumours go around. Eventually one of them will probably be proven right, but I can't see them selling a phone at €99, or anything like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think 350-400 is a more likely price. The iPad Mini wasn't a "cheap iPad" and any potential lower-cost iPhone wouldn't be either. It will just be aimed at younger people who want something colourful and more durable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can't see it happening.

Too many people will see the "cheap" iPhone as funkier and more practical than the "premium" iPhone. And put a case on both and there's nothing to tell the difference between the two.

Certainly they wouldn't release one in an "S" year without knowing it would savage sales of their expensive model as a lot of people would prefer something new and shiny over something with a faster processor and better camera.

Apple have never had an issue with cannibalising themselves, though. As Jobs used to say, if we don't do it, somebody else will.

I suspect that as with the iPad Mini, the iPod Nano, the Mac Mini, the iPod Shuffle, etc, this new iPhone would satisfy a different part of the market rather than simply those looking for something cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think this will happen but I very much doubt they'll look as gaudy as the OPs picture. I could imagine Johnny Ive keeling over at the sight of those cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

My guess is the budget iPhone would most likely use the components of iPhone 4S, but with 4 inch screen and Lightning cable. This would mean all iPhone and iPod touch screens are 4 inch. So, when iPhone 5S comes out this year, Apple will sell only iPhone 5S, 5 and the budget iPhone (instead of the 4S).

It does make sense when you think about it. But if the budget iPhone does cost around 350-400 Euro, by then, you could probably get a new 5 at a slightly higher price. Interestingly, since the iPod touch (32GB) sells for 329 Euro, I'm guessing Apple is not going to offer a similar product at that price, so the budget iPhone will probably be just 16GB instead if it's under 400, so the 32GB option would probably be 100 Euro more.

Rumors do seem to indicate that the budget iPhone will come in different colours like the iPod touch, so they'll probably target a younger audience in their ads. Also, this would have a huge uptake in countries such as China and India who simply cannot afford the full price of an iPhone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement