Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescued greyhounds

• 02-07-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Anybody got a rescued greyhound? I was wondering how easy they are to housetrain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭fits

Rubecula wrote: »
    Anybody got a rescued greyhound? I was wondering how easy they are to housetrain?

very easy. You might not have to housetrain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Rubecula wrote: »

Greyhounds (as dogs go) are wonderful to house train. They are used to a structured day and tend to adapt very well to their owners routines. They make great pets-My sister was asked to take care of a retired racer on a temporary basis...6 years later, they are still together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Extremely easy, that's if you have to do it at all.

Most are kennel trained already so usually adapt to house living quickly. Just make sure you have an extra couch - you'll need somewhere to sit :D

Just go back to first principles, take outside on a regular basis and praise, praise, praise when they go. The dog will soon get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I was thinking of getting two at one time for company when I have to leave the house, is this a good idea?

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you for your very helpful and prompt replies :)

I don't see why not, lots of the sighthound rescues will probably have a couple that are already paired up :)

Just remember that they will need to be left inside out of sight when you go out.

Oh yay, I do love it when people adopt greyhounds :D

• Advertisement

I do really like them to be honest, always have liked the leggy types of dogs. Wolfhounds are lovely but very expensive and Greyhounds are just as lovely and need someone to care for them. And as I don't have little furry animals (cats or such) I think greyhounds would be ideal. There are a fair few around here and I see them being walked along forest paths and along beaches and suchlike. I almost find it too hard to not go over and pet them. (With owner's permission of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

I have a greyhound and a whipet living very happily together. They are both rescues and are the best of friends. Even sharing a bed at night even though they each have there iwn

Both were very easy to house train but both can be an absolute disaster to get in to the garden if it is cold or raining. To the point they will literally squash themselves against the closed door refusing to move. They have both had a few accidents on the floor on cold wet days.

Great dogs very affectionate and loyal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I wish you all the best with your future companion(s). Know what you mean about greyhounds popularity-my sister's girl came 2nd in "dog I would like to take home" at the local show and there were nearly 100 dogs there!!! If you have any other queries, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you all, I knew I had come to the right place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Oh I am jealous OP I love greyhounds, going to be my next dog :D My local rescue has the most gentle and gorgeous blue girl at the minute. She is just so fabulous I just want to bring her home.

Back on topic although I have no experience with them, I have heard they are extremely easy to train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

Great choice Op. I've been fostering sighthounds for the past two years. I don't even remember how many went through my house before been adopted, 12 or 13 I would say. They were all beautiful and gentle. Definitely thumb up for taking 2. You'll lose the sofa though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Like Micheleabc Im relatively new in the greyhound rescue world - about 3 years and I have fostered about 50 hounds since I started, usually for about 4 - 6 weeks but some for longer periods.

With the exception of two, they have been very easy to manage.

I would recommend getting a copy of Retired Greyhounds for Dummies before you get a hound as its a useful reference. Im also reading 'Dash - Bitch of the Year' which is about a guy who retired a grey straight from an owner. Many of the comments ring true about first time ownership of hounds.

If you are looking for rescues with work with greys look up the GRAI (Greyhound Rescue Association of Ireland) site - it an umbrella organisation which lists with most of the greyhound rescues in Ireland. Dont worry if there isnt one close to you most rescues will make every effort to get you a grey or two .

Any questions feel free to ask. And good luck and enjoy your search.

I think the OP may be in the UK but even so there's few Irish groups with sister groups in the UK and a few more with strong ties to UK sighthound rescues.

If you want a recommendation OP just PM me, we're not allowed discuss individual rescues here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Toulouse wrote: »
    I think the OP may be in the UK but even so there's few Irish groups with sister groups in the UK and a few more with strong ties to UK sighthound rescues.

If you want a recommendation OP just PM me, we're not allowed discuss individual rescues here.

ah hadnt noticed the Welsh address :)

And Toulouse is right many of the Irish rescues work with UK groups and Im sure you will have no problem finding one.

Not a problem Toulouse, and yes I live in Wales nowadays. There are rescue centres around here but I really needed advice of experienced folks before taking this step. I want to be fair to the dogs most of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They are incredibly easy dogs, but as with any rescue, there's always a settling in period at first and you might hit some bumps along the road. As they live in kennels they are used to the company of other dogs from birth and can get incredibly anxious if left alone without another doglet for company. When Josie first came, a year ago, my other dog Boo would have to sleep in the same room as her at night, or she wouldn't settle.

She had been through several foster homes and was unsettled. She watched me like a hawk and would get upset if left alone without me or Boo there, even for a few minutes. She is a million times better now.

Greyhounds are extremely nosy and get into everything - especially the bin! So keep the bin out of reach and keep your tabletops and worktops free of any food items too - they are expert counter surfers. :D

It only took a few weeks before she was fully toilet trained. I just gave her every opportunity to go outside to pee and I got her used to sleeping in a crate. I got an XXXL one online, from Jebb Tools. Whenever she was getting a treat, she had to "go into bed" for it. Consequently she ADORES her crate and still sleeps in it at night, atop a mountain of vet bed, with the door left open. A crate is the single best thing you can get your new greyhound, while they learn the ropes of living in a house and having boundaries! :D

Oh and it's true - you WILL lose the couch. :D They were born to hog couches. :D

Yep, some can have problems settling alright but imo it's never for long. If you are worried about this then I'd suggest finding a rescue that uses foster homes. That way you get a dog already used to house living and it frees up a space for another in kennels.

My own greyhound girl was fine though, took to it like a duck to water. She is a very laid back girl anyway but she came from an excellent trainer who minds the dogs very well. She is super nosy, well who could blame her with a big beautiful schnoz like hers. A few 'ah ahs' when she cruises along the counter or starts eyeing up what's on the table and she snaps out of it, she's not very food orientated anyway. I wouldn't leave anything out just in case though :)

I am loving these stories of your greyhounds. Thank you for sharing folks.

They get such unremitting praise and adulation that I just wanted you to be aware that of course, there will be niggles in their first weeks or months with you. Best to anticipate these things. Adopting from a rescue that fosters out their greyhounds is a great idea, thanks Toulouse! But even greys coming straight from kennels adapt remarkably quickly. You won't believe they weren't living on a couch all their lives. :D

Oh, the other thing is while two twenty minute walks a day is genuinely sufficient, that doesn't mean they just plod about and snooze the rest of the time. Josie is four and acts like a big puppy - she gets giddy and excited and does zoomies around the garden. :D And while they can do with as little exercise as already mentioned, that doesn't mean they won't join you on a long hike. We are just back from a two week holiday for the dogs in the countryside. Josie happily came on two-hour walks and never tired of it - although she would be comatose for the rest of the evening after it, unlike Boo, who was ready to go again! :D

If you have room in your heart for a rescued greyhound, please adopt a black one. They are the hardest of all to find homes for and the rescue will be so grateful. That's why I chose Josie, and I struck gold. :o

Pic is of my Dad, Josie, Boo and Gizmo on our holidays, half-way point on a hill walk. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Boomerang, your dogs are lovely and your dad looks proud as punch sitting in the middle of them! I definitely want a greyhound one day and a black one would be top of my list. I can never understand why people don't like black dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

. I can never understand why people don't like black dogs.

Me too! I have heard this many times but don't get it. Black staffies and black greyhounds are hardest to rehome, black greyhound for me next so. Will have a pair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Me three! Ive always had black dogs I remember the rescue I got Archie from told me this its bizarre!

There is deffo a greyhound in my future too at some stage I think they're beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Black staffies and black greyhounds are hardest to rehome

It's black any breed to be honest, black labs are slightly easier but not by much. I personally think a lot of it is to do with subconscious superstition, but also black dogs are really hard to photograph well, and it can be hard to see facial expressions on them if you're looking at them amidst a lot of dogs on a website or in a sanctuary. I always pray for good natural light when photographing the black dogs in the sanctuary, and a miracle for the ones that won't stay still!!!

I have a fawn lurcher pup in foster at the moment and he's really really sweet, so chilled out. A visitor asked if his legs were injured because when she came in he kind of crawled-stretched towards her with is tail going and trying to tip her with his paw, he just couldn't be bothered getting up :D

My last dog (Shep - yes I know not very original) was a black mongrel. His mother was the exact same to look at and was owned by an Aunt of mine. It's father was unknown and Shep had no takers from the litter. So we had him. We were dubious at first as my baby sister was terrified of dogs .... well she was until Shep came along. He was wonderful, and gentle from the off. We had him for 18 years, well my mum really had him as I was off in the armed forces, but he was still going strong when I returned to civilian life. I still have his photo up above my door in the house. Bless him, he passed away after a serious illness (we had no choice but to have the vet see that he was PTS. I was in university at the time taking my exams and my mum and my sister (yes the one scared of dogs) carried him between them in an old blanket with his favourite fluffy coat (My flying jacket) And that was it. That was nearly 25 years ago now, but I still shed a tear as I think about him. I have not had the courage (or the possibility) of having a dog since.

But my friend has two whippets and my best friend has a rescued Jack Russell. All three dogs are wonderful. I saw a mention for Greyhound rescue and went and bought a book about greyhounds. It was American but I assumed most things would be the same.

Now I am stuck at home, well away from work due to long term illness, so this could be the perfect time to start to look for a new companion or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I'm considering adopting a small greyhound that's currently in a rescue. I already have 2 cavaliers who get on like a house on fire and just wondering, as a general rule, how did people find their greyhound settling in with any dogs they already had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I'm considering adopting a small greyhound that's currently in a rescue. I already have 2 cavaliers who get on like a house on fire and just wondering, as a general rule, how did people find their greyhound settling in with any dogs they already had?
    There would be no harm asking the rescue if you can take the greyhound over the weekend or for a few days to see how it goes.

They tend to get on well with other dogs and not bothered but make a space where it is its place if you can so has some where to just lay down.
    Some jump and do this funny run in small gardens or rooms when excited so try make sure your other dogs don't get steeped on and hurt.

Inexile I've read the Dummies book and a few more, but my absolute favourite and by far the most helpful is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Retired-Greyhounds-Guide-Care-Understanding/dp/1847971652/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384640680&sr=8-1&keywords=retired+greyhound

OP, I would highly recommend you read this very readable book before taking the plunge. They are wonderfully laid-back, low-maintenance dogs, but that period of time while they are learning the ropes of living in a home is kinda like having an eight week old puppy on the loose! :D

I read this book 18 months after adopting my first grey and it would have been lovely to have had it in the beginning. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

OP, if you're in North Wales get in touch with the GRWE, thats where I got my gorgeous Lurcher who was actually rescued from Ireland. They tend to go to Ireland quite a lot and bring the hounds back over to the UK so they don't get PTS.
    They will also have a list of the current hounds for rehoming with a really good description of their personality and whether they are good with cats etc.
    It warms the cockles when I hear people want to adopt greys. They are just such gentle creatures but I back the other comments about the sofa. You will definitely need a spare for yourself. ;)
    40 mile an hour couch potato is their well earned nickname.

p.s, to mods, I know we're not supposed to mention rescues but thought in this instance seeing as they had been mentioned that it was ok if they weren't in Ireland. Hope thats ok

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to this for me :) I will need to go back into hospital for a while so I have put it on a back burner while I get well. But I will let you know how I get on :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement