Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imperial Stout (image heavy)

Options
  • 02-07-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Imperial Stout

I have put this up it may be of help to some users starting out , its how i make a kit ,not saying its perfect but it works for me .

I have been planning this one for a while now , finally made it on Thursday 27th of June, Its a 2 kit Version which i have done before ,

Ingredients

1 x Coopers Austrailian Bitter
    1 x Coopers Stout
    500g Extra dark Spraymalt
    1kg Dextrose
    1 Brew Enhancer
    120g Roasted Barley
    40g Fuggles hops

2 x safele 04 yeast 12g (instead of 7g yeasts that came with kits)

2bdf.jpg

I started by Sanitizing everything required with Starsan mix , filled a spare fermenter with 20ltrs of tap water.

I then Crushed half a Camden tablet to help remove clorine / cloramines &
    added it

I heated the 2 kit cans in warm water for 10 mins to help syrup pour easily.
    sulx.jpg

I got my 7 litre pot , added 1.5ltrs boiling treated water and 40g fuggles hops and left to simmer at 70c for 15mins
    6flp.jpg

I strained hops with sieve to seperate liquid from leaves etc.. to another smaller pot and

I added Roasted Barley to 1ltr treated water at 70c that barley smells lovely ,
    and then added both kits to 7 litre one
    Have to watch for boil over here the pot pushed to the limit:eek:
    cttr.jpg

I got my cordless drill and paint stirrer warmed up ;)

I added contents of both pots juice from hops in one , & and 2 kits + barley in other to Fermenter
    tcyv.jpg

And added 500g Extra dark Spraymalt , 1kg Dextrose & 1kg Brew Enhancer
    and 17ltrs of cold camden treated tap water

Then i let loose with Drill for 1 minute approx to help mix & aerate wort ,this method works great , i have'nt had a yeast fail yet .
    c5mz.jpg

I took sample and checked with hydrometer of O.G. 1084 :D
    wmmg.jpg

I checked Temp its 24c happy days ,so sprinkled yeast 2x12g safele04
    qryi.jpg
    vsdi.jpg

Put lid on ,ready to stash away .
    yppl.jpg

4 hours later it took off like a rocket , :eek:
    bz41.jpg

I will add to as it makes progress.

Michael

Edit : i checked a sample on 4/06 its at 1020 still bubbling away though .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Great post. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hows she goin' for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

I'm starting soon, and this is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to do. I knew it would be a step too far to go directly into all-grain but the idea of making myself a poxy Coopers kit just barely seemed worth the effort of sanitising everything and bottling.

Great post, looking forward to seeing the results. Do you have a target OG and ABV?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Great post, looking forward to seeing the results. Do you have a target OG and ABV?

Its at 1016 this morning ,thats 9% i think ,target is 1008-1010 over 10% , imperial stout is usually above 9 % ,i had a sneaky taste ,its coffee kind of .... Hops hide alc taste some what ,but it warms the throat certainly ,even at this stage..

Hows she goin' for you?

Still bubbling ,nicely ....

• Advertisement

Bottled it yesterday tastes quite good ,not as bitter as i thought it would be ,it finished 1014 from o.g of 1084 , 9.5% in 67 330ml bottles now stashed away for Christmas .

Had a bottle last night,its coming along nicely ,theres a kick to this one ,i think vanilla pods would have been a nice addition in secondary soaked in 80ml rum / whiskey 1st , i have a brown ale on at moment and done this with some cinnamon and tastes lovely from sample

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mister Burns

tteknulp wrote: »
    Had a bottle last night,its coming along nicely ,theres a kick to this one ,i think vanilla pods would have been a nice addition in secondary soaked in 80ml rum / whiskey 1st , i have a brown ale on at moment and done this with some cinnamon and tastes lovely from sample

Hey tteknulp
    Did you leave the barley in for the duration?

Hey tteknulp
    Did you leave the barley in for the duration?

Hi , i cold steeped 1st for 6 hours ,then poured into muslin bag in pot , then warm steep at 65c-70c for 30 mins ,you must be careful here as you can get unwanted tannins ,flavours it you exceed 70c + ,then remove barley after squeese in sieve ,after that simmer at boil point for 10 mins ,then use to wash malt from kit can into fermenter

Advertisement