Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "flatline" Athlone Half Marathon – Sat 14th Sept 2013, 11am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Why am I missing this?

Best of luck everyone especially Antomagoo! Don't forget to relax and smile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Ok bedtime for me. Just did 13.1 @ race pace wearing race gear to make sure and it's looking good...reckon the legs are just there. just have to hope the new gels Ive never tried before don't make the tummy sad at 6 miles... ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

TRR wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out the last time Peckham calculated results for a boards team competition (2010) he ripped Shels and myself off. Now as you all know I wouldn't bang on about things like this but It was a bloody disgrace. Funnily enough peckham's team won. You might be all right this year with him on the side lines ;)

The bloody disgrace is your unwillingness to name a date for when you'll put that trophy back up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Larapist ;)

Cant help thinking of Tobias Funke from Arrested Development when I see this team name

tumblr_lx9mclhaKj1qimz76o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mo2ecka2dz1rrrrj1o1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Team names:rolleyes: - Running Steady or Slow Runners? - don't really cut it.

How about Winners?*

Good luck everyone, don't have all the beer drunk before I finish.

*What is it they say? - pride comes before a fall:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

See ye at the Start (and Finish) line! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

quinlivan wrote: »
    See ye at the Start (and Finish) line! :)

90 degree left at the 13 mile mark then all out sprint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Where do I pick up my trophy???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Flyer

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Where do I pick up my trophy???? :D

Well done everybody. Great race. Don't know where all you boardies are. Looking forward to seeing results.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Athlone 1/2 2013 Massive PB by nearly 15minutes:D 1:59:20:D Previous PB 2:14:09 in Bohermeen. Excellent race, well organized, even managed to arrange nice weather! Big thanks to the 2hr pacers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Athlone 1/2 21013 Massive PB by nearly 15minutes:D 1:59:20:D Previous PB 2:14:09 in Bohermeen. Excellent race, well organized, even managed to arrange nice weather! Big thanks to the 2hr pacers!!

Well done on breaking the 2 hr mark shortstuff

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

1;58:08. Started with the 1:50 pacer with a plan for 1:55. Was around 2 minutes under pace for the first half then started to feel the effects from there on.

Happy to get in around the previous PB. Very supportive crowd the whole way round, well organised, and never has none alcoholic beer tasted as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

1:37:47 chip time so a 5 minute PB.

Kept it at 1:40 pace which felt easy until halfway then picked it up to a steady effort for the second half. Faded a bit over the last two k's but managed to hold it together until the end.

Funny thing is, I struggle to hold this pace for 20 minutes when training alone but can hold it for nearly 100 minutes today. Just goes to show how much difference race day makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

1.44.57 .. up to 16k i was grand comfortable even, then for some reason for the next 2 or 3k it was hard work.. woke up with about 2k to go but found it hard to push on.. at a guess id say not enough really long runs done ..heat was possibly a factor, up early 2 hour drive , nothing to drink all day til the first water station.. anyway its a pb .. christ i have to do twice that distance in 6 weeks !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Very well done to all the boardsies today. Some great running done and quite a few prize winners among us (not me of course!)

For myself, a PB by almost three minutes so I'm totally chuffed. Was doubting if even match my PB and reckoned my "estimate" on the table was a big ask. But there you go. Sometimes it all works out. 1:52:54 on the Garmin.

Great course, well organised, lovely weather (maybe a bit too sunny!) And the beer went down a treat at the end.
    Congrats to the organisers.
    I will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

1.40.52. 3 min + PB

Started around 4.50km pace until near the main road and then pushed on.

Very pleased with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

pointer28 wrote: »
    1:37:47 chip time so a 5 minute PB.

Kept it at 1:40 pace which felt easy until halfway then picked it up to a steady effort for the second half. Faded a bit over the last two k's but managed to hold it together until the end.

Funny thing is, I struggle to hold this pace for 20 minutes when training alone but can hold it for nearly 100 minutes today. Just goes to show how much difference race day makes.

GRRRRR.. 7 seconds behind you, If I had known that was you I'd have thrown my shoes at ya :D:D

Happy enough with finishing 1:37:54, found it quite warm in places.. Had some finish line celebrations in mind, but when it came to it I was to knackered to do anything :)

Was a good auld race though, just had to watch out for some of the road surfaces in spots but not to bad...
    Oh, and who kidnapped the 1:40 pacer!!! Got a shock when I seen pacers for all the other times and none for my target 1:40 :D Probably a blessing in disguise and went out on the tails of the 1:35 guys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I can't believe we reduced pistol to bulimia....sorry bud!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

martyboy48 wrote: »
    GRRRRR.. 7 seconds behind you, If I had known that was you I'd have thrown my shoes at ya :D:D

Happy enough with finishing 1:37:54, found it quite warm in places.. Had some finish line celebrations in mind, but when it came to it I was to knackered to do anything :)

Was a good auld race though, just had to watch out for some of the road surfaces in spots but not to bad...
    Oh, and who kidnapped the 1:40 pacer!!! Got a shock when I seen pacers for all the other times and none for my target 1:40 :D Probably a blessing in disguise and went out on the tails of the 1:35 guys..

That was the chip time, my official race time was 1:38:11 unfortunately.

Still, went out this morning not feeling great at all and doubting whether I was good for a 1:40 so happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

1:21 flat for me, maybe a second under.. Never felt great during it but thanks to blockic got the best outta what was there today.. Beer at the end was a nice touch and marthastews beautiful buns (of the chocolate variety) and epic enthusiasm after winning the marathon couldn't but have me leaving feeling happy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Not a good day for me.:( Poor race strategy but more to the point not enough fitness in the bag saw me come in 2:02:35; some seven mins down on my PB. Sorry RunForestRun. Nobody to blame but myself.

But what a well organised race! The race director and committee have got a template to run a race that every other race director should get a copy of. Well signposted from the M6, parking was quick and easy, flew through registration, a true flat course, organised waves and a load of other things that would take too long to list here.

Entered this on the spur of the moment just for a change from the Phoenix Park Half. Glad I did now despite the poor run. Will be back next year with proper training done to get that PB.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

eek!! - Humble pie time
    slowsteady wrote: »
    How about a credit limit of a max of 1 minute better than predicted time to account for any sandbaggers out there (there must be some:p)?
    I put in a 2 min PB as my goal but managed a 4 min one instead:eek::o:o:o

Yippee!!:)

McMillan had my marathon time from Longford 3 weeks ago giving me a half of 1:43 but I knew I was better than that, just not that much.

Sincere thanks to the 1:35 pacers who got me there with 6 seconds to spare. Cramps in both calves in the last couple of miles but their cajoling and encouragement got me home - sorry I couldn't muster a sprint guys. I was completely wasted at the finish and by the time I came to I couldn't see them to thank them personally - job well done lads.

Perfect day, weather and race, well done Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have to say it was a super race for €20 and one you couldn't really fault, Ill definitely be back. Course was good but maybe not as pancake flat as advertised

I wasn't racing myself as I am just comng back from injury but I had a good run I am happy with.

Only gripe (a vary minor one) was having the prize giving at 3pm in a hotel.. Common practise would be to have it in the hall soon after the race. I had to attend the prize giving (since someone I was traveling down with won a prize ;)) and it was a pity to see so many of the winners had already gone home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

78 mins for me. Not quite the target :rolleyes: Not too worry though pretty happy with how I ran. Seriously good running by a bunch of boardsies today. Impressive stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Spectacular blow up for me: 1:43:34.

If you're bored you can read all about it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Not a great day for me. 1:57ish chip time. Was doing ok till mile 7 when a horrendous cramp hit. Puked around mile 8 and followed it up with several bouts of dry retching and a final puke at mile 11. After that, the only goal was to finish in less than two hours. Need to rethink my nutrition strategy.... Apart from that, good race. A good course, although I did feel those cambered country road in my achilles on the way home. Great organisation - no messing with parking, easy registration, great water stations. Will probably be back next year for a rematch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Absolutely delighted with my time: 1:44:19! I had set myself the ambitious time of 1:45 which was a 7min PB improvement - So happy to have done it :)

How was everyone else's race?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

drquirky wrote: »
    78 mins for me. Not quite the target :rolleyes: Not too worry though pretty happy with how I ran. Seriously good running by a bunch of boardsies today. Impressive stuff.

Great result today all the same though!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Very well organised race, fair play to all involved.

Sorry Flyer didn't hit the target. No chip times up yet but gun time was 1:37:54.

Mixed feelings about the result, at one stage I was well on for sub 1:36 but legs started to cramp really badly just after 10 mile mark & I couldn't maintain the pace. Still PB by 4 mins but reckon I could have gone quicker.

Cheers to Meno for the encouragement towards the end & big thanks to Pronator for all the training advice. Hopefully back next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bitter-sweet feelings about today's race. Had hoped to run 1:15:xx and finished up with 1:16:04. It's a PB by over a minute (and I somehow still managed to bag an old man's prize), but those five seconds are the difference between a good personal result and one I'd be entirely happy with. It means I'll have to have another go at a half marathon at some stage.

To the race organizers:
    Don't change anything. You got it spot-on. Don't tinker with the recipe, don't change the price. As long as you are making enough money from the race, keep it just the same and you'll have a recipe that will last for many succesful years.

Advertisement