Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "flatline" Athlone Half Marathon – Sat 14th Sept 2013, 11am

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Yeah well, this is a stupid game........
    And I'm bringing my ball home.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Thanks dublin runner!

So, results are below. What looked like a really tight finish when I originally did these this morning, turned into an easy win with both dublin runner and slowsteady beating their predicted times (which 9 people in total managed to do).

Honourable mentions to qunlivan and Tom Joad, both of whom got within 4 seconds of their predicted time. The sandbagging award goes to pointer28 (almost 2 minutes ahead of predicted time).

Position|Time|Runners|Original seeding
    1|02:59:48|dublin runner & slowsteady|2
    2|03:04:32|blockic & quinlivan|3
    3|03:04:34|snailsong & Tom Joad|6
    4|03:05:30|RunningKing & pointer28|8
    5|03:05:39|robbicosta & Trampas|11
    6|03:07:06|Flyer & antomagoo|4
    7|03:07:09|Mr Stew & muppet man|10
    8|03:09:46|Krusty_Clown & Emer911|15
    9|03:10:14|pac_man & Martyboy48|5
    10|03:10:15|purceninho & woody1|13
    11|03:13:17|Tunguska & Mint Sauce|14
    12|03:14:57|Statss & career_move|7
    13|03:16:19|Claralara & Pistol_75|1
    14|03:16:43|drquirky & Racheljev|16
    15|03:24:32|RunForestRun & Geld|17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Peckham wrote: »
    Thanks dublin runner!

So, results are below. What looked like a really tight finish when I originally did these this morning, turned into an easy win with both dublin runner and slowsteady beating their predicted times (which 9 people in total managed to do).

Honourable mentions to qunlivan and Tom Joad, both of whom got within 4 seconds of their predicted time. The sandbagging award goes to pointer28 (almost 2 minutes ahead of predicted time).

The Number 1 seeds really did not live up to their billing, after going on TV before the race to boast about their impending victory and everything :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Cool, do I get a prize for that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

So as we found our scorecard in the bunker on the 18th......
    turned into an easy win with both dublin runner and slowsteady beating their predicted times
    The sandbagging award goes to pointer28 (almost 2 minutes ahead of predicted time).
    Are you sure I don't get that award as well, 1:58 is mighty close to 2 min:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Whoops sorry Statss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

pointer28 wrote: »
    Cool, do I get a prize for that :-)

Talk to TRR. He has the boards trophy.
    slowsteady wrote: »
    Are you sure I don't get that award as well, 1:58 is mighty close to 2 min:o

I have you down as being 1:35 better than predicted. The results were possibly calculated off gun rather than chip time (but I was consistent for everyone).

I have you down as being 1:35 better than predicted. The results were possibly calculated off gun rather than chip time (but I was consistent for everyone).
    Phew!! Thank the Lord for that. Now I don't have to feel too guilty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

slowsteady wrote: »
    Are you sure I don't get that award as well, 1:58 is mighty close to 2 minredface.png

Have ye not won by enough! :( ...The Sandbaggers shall be yere team name going forward! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

A runaway victory me thinks......:)

A serious well down to everyone. Don't know what's in more pain...my legs or my arm! The 1.25 pace group was not the place for the faint hearted. Elbows everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

menoscemo wrote: »
    The Number 1 seeds really did not live up to their billing, after going on TV before the race to boast about their impending victory and everything :p;)

They sure didn't totally down to me than CL who finished 3rd lady overall. Well done again CL. If only everyone wasn't afraid to tow the start line and face up to a challenge ;-)

You eat serious dust yesterday buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

9th... Fecking 9th!!!! I hate you all :D:D:D

Was good fun though , roll on next year I'll be targeting 1:37:55 :D ::D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    9th... Fecking 9th!!!! I hate you all :D:D:D

Was good fun though , roll on next year I'll be targeting 1:37:55 :D ::D
    I can feel the target being painted already.....my back is getting itchy......better pull on those runners again in the morning:)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Thanks dublin runner!

Well done blockic... 2nd place aint bad :D

And of course well done to everyone else too... Great race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Any booby prize for last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great bit of banter, well done Pointer, you saved my bacon!

Very well done to the deserved winners, super combined time.

And many thanks to Peckham, for taking time out of his busy week to put it all together, super stuff.

Well done all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Any booby prize for last?

No, you just end up looking like a booby! ;)

This race is turning into a who's who of boardsies. Shall we make it interesting with a team competition? Everyone ranked on likely finish time, fastest runner paired with least fast, 2nd fastest with 2nd least fast etc. Cumulative time (or placing?) for each team. Winners get pride and bragging rights.

+1 to RunningKings post above, thanks Peckham :)

I wonder if Peckham knew what he/she was letting him/herself in for :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Flyer wrote: »
    How do you get a boards t-shirt? Will they be on sale in Athlone at race?

Now is your chance Flyer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86558290

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

5 Stars from me also, I'd have to agree with all the posts above, the organisation was faultless and it's a race we'd definitely do again. The only thing I'd change (and Meno has already mentioned this) is the timing of the prize-giving.

@Muppetman, Mr Stew sends his apologies for letting team Muppetstew down, after the 10 miler in the Park he was confident of his goal (he ran 1.32.XX) but as lots of posters on here know only too well, sometimes things don't exactly go to plan:(

For anyone who wasn't tortured enough running the route once there's a very long-winded report on what it's like to run it twice over on my log..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509699&page=84

I do have one MAJOR COMPLAINT about the day.......
    I never got to meet Statts and see his beautiful hair;)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Athlone HM was an excellent race, the organisation was superb. There was virtually no queue for registration and all else seemed to go seamlessly.

My previous PB for half marathon was 1:56 is Connemara so had decided I would try to breach the 1:50 mark for this flatter surface. I went off very quick and with each mile I felt I was getting stronger, my mile times were dropping all the way up to 7miles. Including a few miles around the 7:40 mark and all the rest at around 8:00 - 8:15. I thought this was fine as I was feeling strong and thought that the time I had made up would allow me compensate near the end if I slowed up.

I slowed up in the last two miles spectacularly - around the 8:40 mark. I didnt feel particularly slow but my garmin was telling me different. I also think that seeing the slowing time added to my feeling of tiredness because I found the last mile incredibly difficult. Usually when I see the finish line I can muster up a burst of energy but even that wasnt possible.

I finished just over 1:49 (Whoop Whoop, over 7 minutes off my PB) but I felt disappointed with my poor "strategy" and it was a valuable lesson in consistent pacing.

Anyway I am still delighted and barring injury the hope of a sub 4hr for DCM is not looking unrealistic.

The race itself was excellent - great marshalling, plenty of waterstops (Great o be given sports bottles instead of cups) and the local residents were very supportive. The surface was a bit rough at times and I found myself concentrating on my footing more than on my actual running if that makes sense. But it certainly wasnt enough to take away from the race.

Also the Erdinger "Beer" at the end was lovely and went down a treat. I managed to do a 3 mile warm down about 20 minutes later so was happy to have gotten that under my belt too.

I think that the Athlone HM is going to be a stayer and go from strength to strength. The organisers, in my opinion need to change very very little, if anything at all.

Well done to all of us one here that ran it also.

Oh and Sunburn!! I got sunburn in middle of September!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Marthastew wrote: »
    @Muppetman, Mr Stew sends his apologies for letting team Muppetstew down, after the 10 miler in the Park he was confident of his goal (he ran 1.32.XX) but as lots of posters on here know only too well, sometimes things don't exactly go to plan:(

:) no bother at all... 'tis only a bit of fun... great race report, and well done on the first placing.

Muppet Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Flyer

blockic wrote: »

Thanks got name on list. Thanks to Peckham for fun. Antomagoo, no shame in that result. We'll keep our heads and knees up!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iarmhi1975

Aimman wrote: »
    I thought that too. I was doing the full marathon option and they would have been handy for our 17M point as we passed, but the only problem I had with them is that you need to take those gels with water for them to get absorbed properly, but there was no water option there until you got to the 10k marker station.

I ran into some problems in the second loop with the tummy (general bloating and cramps, not the Sonya O Sullivan type) and had to walk a good bit for the last 5 miles to finish. As the elites and front group were passing by, they knew I was doing the marathon and were giving plenty of 'Fair Play' and the like comments, but by the time I hit the last couple of miles, I was regularly mistaken for a half marathon runner who just went out too fast and blew up and got lots of encouragment from people passing telling me it was just a mile to go etc and hang in there. Was good to see the comraderie and support amongst runners. Mind you, I did also see a lot of HM runners that went out too fast and walking and then getting the pat on the back from random runners to get them running again.

For the price, it was great value and managed to enjoy a glass or two of the Eirdinger (which would have been ideal for me at mile 21 to sort out the tummy)

Excellent value for money.

Can I explain the High Five Gel rational to you all as you know at this stage we are runners ourselves and have certainly used gels ourselves. We didnt want gels and water together at a station as that would likely lead to congestion at a table and in situations like that you increase the risk of someone falling. Look at the ladies marathon in the Olympics.

We do not prescribe when you could use them so we provided them early enough in the race you could grab one or two and have them for when you needed them. We gave them to marathon runners at registration. The race briefing tells you when there are water stops and in the briefing before the race.

If you give them to everybody at the start people would have a problem. Anyway, you have the rational now. If we get High 5 on board next year we can look at this again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

pistol_75 wrote: »
    They sure didn't totally down to me than CL who finished 3rd lady overall. Well done again CL. If only everyone wasn't afraid to tow the start line and face up to a challenge ;-)

You eat serious dust yesterday buddy.

Cheers buddy! Well done to you too in fairness... I came close to blowing chunks at one stage and I don't think i would have been able to continue had I... nice!!

Ah it was a good tough run all round. There were some low points which required a bit of self cajoling but i managed to cross the line in 85:34. So the sub85 still needs a bagging, but I still ran a PB by almost 2 minutes for me which I think is a fairly decent result :) No sandbagging round these parts!! Was delighted to come 3rd to 2 big names in the game (albeit with a significant amount of minutes between us!!) Im actually midway through a classico CL race report so ill put it up during the week (for those who haven't had the pleasure before, my race reports are known to cure insomnia so be warned!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

PS Big thanks to Peckham for organising the teams, seedings and results!! I suspect a lot more time and effort went into it all than we'd appreciate.... so... Cheers Michael!! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

1:40:55 a 11min + pb

Well done to all the boardsies, some great results.

A very well organised race, well done to all involved.

Advertisement