Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "flatline" Athlone Half Marathon – Sat 14th Sept 2013, 11am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Isotonic beer = Non alcoholic Erdinger I'd suspect. It's also handed out at end of Berlin Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Peckham wrote: »
    Isotonic beer = Non alcoholic Erdinger I'd suspect. It's also handed out at end of Berlin Marathon

Erdinger to launch an isotonic beer into UK on-trade

Everyday's a school day

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

P!ss off :mad:

+1

I had planned to do this, but have just discovered I have some pesky domestic commitment to attend to that day :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

antomagoo wrote: »
    Anyone else notice this in the FAQ section of the website, or am I just dreaming

No your not dreaming did it last year and there is non alcoholic beer at finish line. Great race, so well run only thing I could fault was the start was a bit messy. But I think I read somewhere their changing that this year. Must sign up myself too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

DOCO12 wrote: »
    No your not dreaming did it last year and there is non alcoholic beer at finish line. Great race, so well run only thing I could fault was the start was a bit messy. But I think I read somewhere their changing that this year. Must sign up myself too :D

Contacted the organisers about the start this year as it was a bit messy and they are changing how it is accessed.

"Our plan is to walk you to the start area from the back of the registration hall as that way we get you all facing the right way and dont have any people caught in the wrong area. All this will be covered in the race briefing document when we have it finalised."

This should prevent the late runners bundling up at the front as the access will be from the back. Also they plan to set up sections at the start with the predicted times marked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 iarmhi1975

Hi Doco,

We are organising the start differently this year. There will be different sections for the different paces and we will have a starting mat also.

We will also be making sure that water tables in the earlier miles have the tables spread out more to help avoid congestion.

We have added High 5 gels added on course as well this year.

We have big support from Boards AC. Thank You. Also Marathon Club of Ireland as well as from many running clubs around the country.

Atmoshere is driven from the people that attend with a little help from us so we will be sorted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Is there any taytos :D

Good luck to ye all, should be a good one with the little friendly comp ye are planning :)

I signed up for a different half the day before this was posted so will sit this one out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Pronator wrote: »
    Lucky I registered the other day. With you now confirmed a Tsunami of entries are sure to follow😉

Reckon I'll do this aswell. Not a fan of the course the race series half takes so this would do the job instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

I'm in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Im in.... could be a big crowd heading for Athlone on the 14th

• Advertisement

Well this kind of took off!! :eek:

Facebook page says that the rate things are going they will reach capacity before close next Friday, so get in now if you're interested!

Should get a great team event going on here for some banter, loads are signed up.

I think someone has finally had their calling:

"We will have a best finish Line celebration Prize"

Pity TRR is sidelined at the moment. Maybe Aimman could be in with a shout! Get practising folks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Right - I'm in too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Okay, here it is - the boards.ie Athlone Half Marathon Team Challenge.

This is how it will work:

Step 1 - Sign up using the table below, indicating your username and projected finish time. Please specify this to an exact second so that we can avoid ties in the ranking.

Step 2 - Projected finish times will be subject to public scrutiny. Sandbaggers will be humiliated, over-optimistic dreamers will be subject to a more subtle form of humiliation. You may be requested to re-consider your projected time based on the general group feeling. Final arbitration rests with TRR (although he doesn't know that yet).

Step 3 - On Saturday 31st August (or whenever I get round to it shortly afterwards), those who have signed up will be ordered by projected finish time.

Step 4 - Fastest projected time will be paired with least fast projected time, 2nd fastest with 2nd least fastest. Pairings will then be published. If someone subsequently drops out due to injury or some meaningless domestic commitment, pairings will be readjusted. In the case of an odd number of entrants, I'll drop out of the challenge.

Step 5 - Two weeks of general banter will ensue and your training log will be monitored closely by your new best friend. This will undoubtedly continue around the start area on the day.

Step 6 - Run your heart out for the honour of your team on 14th September.

Step 7 - Winners will be announced once official finishing times are published. Winners will receive nothing as recognition of their achievement.

Username|Projected Finish Time|Current PB for reference|When PB set
    Peckham|1:19:42|1:21|Bohermeen 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff. Great for a bit of banter. I had a faster PB in Longford 2012 (only by 6 seconds mind) but I suspect the course was short so won't count it.
    This time is a big ask for me, ran 1:27:11 in National half on Monday.

menoscemo|1:24:49|1:26:32|Bohermeen 2013

Right, i'll nail my colours too i suppose. I'd happily take sub 80 and run but I reckon I could get close to 79 based on what I saw there last year and my run on Monday. I would like to think the route is 90 seconds faster.

menoscemo|1:24:49|1:26:32|Bohermeen 2013
    blockic|1:19:10|1:20:38|National Half 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I meant to put 1:24:59 :o

Must resist..... Must resist.........

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Must resist..... Must resist.........

Resistance is futile .... go on go on go on go on go on go on go on ;)

Have charleville lost a participant?! :D;)

• Advertisement

menoscemo|1:24:59|1:26:32|Bohermeen 2013

New table. Those 10 seconds could be vital :D

Well that didn't last long... ... I'm in :D

blockic wrote: »
    Have charleville lost a participant?! :D;)

:D Most likely ..... But charlevilles loss is rathfarnhams gain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I have an innate fear of tables, but I'll try to mess it up tomorrow, in entering my 1.32.36 from Clontarf '13 & a predicted time of 1.26.34..........

Ahem..........

RunningKing|1:26:34|1:32:36|Clontarf 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Wow, it's not like I was hinting or anything.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

RunForestRun|1:19:08|1:19:52|National Half 2013

I'm going to be going for a glorious last mile where Peckham is first to have sense and realise there's a marathon to be run in a few weeks. Blockic will dig in with half a mile to go before I catch up with him. In an act of supposed friendship and solidarity, I will let on that we should do a Krusty/KielyUnusual romantic stroll over the line together, but instead give him a hard shove to the ground before crossing the line. :D

I didnt' expect the sub-80 at the Nationals, and would be aiming to have more specific work done by mid-September, so this might be possible.

I'm going to be going for a glorious last mile where Peckham is first to have sense and realise there's a marathon to be run in a few weeks. Blockic will dig in with half a mile to go before I catch up with him. In an act of supposed friendship and solidarity, I will let on that we should do a Krusty/KielyUnusual romantic stroll over the line together, but instead give him a hard shove to the ground before crossing the line. :D

I didnt' expect the sub-80 at the Nationals, and would be aiming to have more specific work done by mid-September, so this might be possible.

Hmmm, your projected time seems a bit soft RFR, Might have to call in TRR on this one :P
    Peckham wrote: »
    Step 2 - Projected finish times will be subject to public scrutiny. Sandbaggers will be humiliated, over-optimistic dreamers will be subject to a more subtle form of humiliation. You may be requested to re-consider your projected time based on the general group feeling. Final arbitration rests with TRR (although he doesn't know that yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hmmm, your projected time seems a bit soft RFR, Might have to call in TRR on this one :P

Yup, he's sandbagging. Sub 78 of GTFO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Claralara|1:24:58|1:27:17|National Half 2013
    Digger|1:45|1:28:30|Bohermeen 2013

Advertisement