Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "flatline" Athlone Half Marathon – Sat 14th Sept 2013, 11am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marinahussey

Hi,

Can someone help me ??

I really want to run the half marathon in Athlone on 14th Sept 2013 but I have missed the registration date. If anyone knows of a cancellation I would be happy to take that place and I would also be only too happy to pay the registration fee.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Hi,

Can someone help me ??

I really want to run the half marathon in Athlone on 14th Sept 2013 but I have missed the registration date. If anyone knows of a cancellation I would be happy to take that place and I would also be only too happy to pay the registration fee.

Thanks in advance.
    Pm your email address and I'll send you my registration as I had to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marinahussey

Woo hooo got sorted!!! So happy I'm doing the half marathon in Athlone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

If by chance anyone has registered but cannot run this, I'd gladly buy your number from you. I was hoping to run Dublin half but can't now, and Charleville on 22nd doesn't suit either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Heard something new about the course yesterday. I know its advertised as flat, so good place for PBs, but have been told its twisty (bar the first couple and last kms), narrow in places, and alot of country lanes, so can be quite congested, this is turn could effect PBs.

Anyone with any local knowledge, or previous runners comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Heard something new about the course yesterday. I know its advertised as flat, so good place for PBs, but have been told its twisty (bar the first couple and last kms), narrow in places, and alot of country lanes, so can be quite congested, this is turn could effect PBs.

Blockic ran it last year and had nothing but good things to say about it so we are all expecting PBs based on that.

...no pressure Blockic!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Here's someone's route in Garmin Connect. Apart from the darting turns around the 7km mark, it looks pretty straight. But yep, it looks like it largely takes place on country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

belcarra wrote: »
    Blockic ran it last year and had nothing but good things to say about it so we are all expecting PBs based on that.

...no pressure Blockic!!:p

I had no issues with congestion at around 1:30 pace last year apart from a bit at the start for about half a mile (like most races). Didn't effect me and was better to start a tad slower anyway. Yes the route is mainly on quiet FLAT bog roads, with a mile or two on a national road which you run on the hard shoulder for and it's sectioned off.

I can't comment at congestion at other time spans though as I wasn't there! :D

How are our teams looking Peckham? need to get some banter going! 10 days out!

I mapped the route in Google Maps, so you can grab the [Street View] icon and drop it on various parts of the route for a 'look-see'. There are three areas of very minor roads ('bothrins', complete with grassy strip in the middle of the road). The first is the short detour loop, at Oldtown, and the second is on the Bog Road, while the last is around 10 miles, into the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Have been meaning to get round to this, but real world stuff keeps getting in the way.

In the interests of full transparency, here is what I did.

1) I copied the information from the latest table (as posted by Tom Joad on 31 August) into Excel.

2) I copied positions 19 to 36 into a second column and ordered this from slowest to fastest times

3) I then paired up the relevant individuals, ordered them based on combined projected finish time, and gave each one a seeding

Here they are. Some interesting teams!

Undoubtedly I've done something wrong, and the link to the Google Document probably won't work. Let me know!

Let battle/banter commence

Peckham wrote: »
    Undoubtedly I've done something wrong
    Yeah, I've spotted a mistake already. :mad:

Yeah, I've spotted a mistake already. :mad:

Replicate what I did and see if you get a different team! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

maybe a case of "the lady doth protest too much"

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Seeded 2nd:eek: - all of a sudden those niggles from Longford have turned into serious injuries:D.

Oh, the pressure, the pressure:P

How are you feeling Dublin runner?

I've also updated the spreadsheet with the list of usernames where I don't know the real identify (needed to calculate the results). Apologies if I've met you before and should know who you are.

A further column is included of those who, judging by their PM to me, think that I'm someone else.

Great stuff Peckham.

I'll take 5th seed for sure and will now hound RedRunners training log for the next 10 days! :D

Can't wait to take down some of those teams! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Howdy Peckham! Lets kick some ASS!

will there be age grading.......ahem......cough..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Already starting to think I could run quicker!

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

will there be age grading.......ahem......cough..

There's been quite enough segregation already thank you very much ;)

might do us a favour.....especially you.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

slowsteady wrote: »
    Seeded 2nd:eek: - all of a sudden those niggles from Longford have turned into serious injuries:D.

Oh, the pressure, the pressure:P

I hear ya, 3rd seeding has rightly made we weak at the knees :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Peckham wrote: »
    A further column is included of those who, judging by their PM to me, think that I'm someone else.

haha don't mind her, she doesn't know who she is half the time herself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

after doing a very slow 16k in 1.30 plus last night..im may have overshot with 1.45 .. it was meant to be slow but it felt too much like hard work at times..
    i count more than 30 taking part in this would it be an idea to nominate a meeting point / time and try and meet up and get a group photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Who is this Claralara one I've been paired with? Hope she can run fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

At the risk of making a complete balls of things I'm out.
    Took 4 days off after a familiar niggle on Thursday. Did club session last night and niggle returned - today I'm walking with a limp!
    200k in 2 weeks + cold + long haul flights = injury (I'm old too)
    Going to physio tomorrow but experience before is a min of 2 weeks off + 1 easy week.
    Means Eindhoven marathon is definitely out and probably Dublin too.

At the risk of making a complete balls of things I'm out.
    Took 4 days off after a familiar niggle on Thursday. Did club session last night and niggle returned - today I'm walking with a limp!
    200k in 2 weeks + cold + long haul flights = injury (I'm old too)
    Going to physio tomorrow but experience before is a min of 2 weeks off + 1 easy week.
    Means Eindhoven marathon is definitely out and probably Dublin too.
    Sorry to hear that. How you mend up soon.
    Sounds like we need to rejiggle the pairings. Maybe someone without a twisted sense of humour could do it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shannonterese

Paulie,
    I'm new here but would love to run in this half marathon. Is there any chance I can have your entry, that is if you have one. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Paulie,
    I'm new here but would love to run in this half marathon. Is there any chance I can have your entry, that is if you have one. Thanks.

I don't think that's allowed on boards but either way there's a few in my running club looking for an entry as far as I know. I'm only going to give it to somebody that can guarantee me a PB :)

Advertisement