Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "flatline" Athlone Half Marathon – Sat 14th Sept 2013, 11am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

At the risk of making a complete balls of things I'm out.
    Took 4 days off after a familiar niggle on Thursday. Did club session last night and niggle returned - today I'm walking with a limp!
    200k in 2 weeks + cold + long haul flights = injury (I'm old too)
    Going to physio tomorrow but experience before is a min of 2 weeks off + 1 easy week.
    Means Eindhoven marathon is definitely out and probably Dublin too.

thats bad news, sorry to hear that Paulie.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iarmhi1975

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Heard something new about the course yesterday. I know its advertised as flat, so good place for PBs, but have been told its twisty (bar the first couple and last kms), narrow in places, and alot of country lanes, so can be quite congested, this is turn could effect PBs.

Anyone with any local knowledge, or previous runners comment.

Hi Folk,

The course is run in the Shannon callows and across bog roads before joining the old Galway road and then back across country.

As already pointed out the start needed attention so we have added a start mat and we will section people off as per timings. We will try to give 15 seconds before each wave starts but as you all know people don't follow that instruction.

It is a 4 mile straight road into the village before you take a turn, then a section with a couple of turns but nothing that would be described as twisty. They are country roads and there is grass in the middle of some of them but we removed that last year(I dont think we can do that this year as we got in trouble for doing it last year)

We are told by county council that they will remove it for us. We will be cutting back hedging as we did in certain areas once we get the appropriate permissions. In the areas where it is narrow there will have been a very good spread of the runners. We have also limited numbers so that the course can take the numbers on the day. Its important to us as runners that people going for a PB have a right good go at it.

We have also been able to secure the old showgrounds beside the college for extra parking so an awful lot of the parking of the day will be within 200m of the race start and will be free.

We have a team working on the route and they will do everything they can to improve it. It is a PB route and there were PB's from 1:20 upwards last year.

Good luck to you all. Thanks for choosing the race. No issues answering any questions at all and welcome comments to help improve things. Its a work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Flyer

antomagoo wrote: »
    I hear ya, 3rd seeding has rightly made we weak at the knees :o

Pleased to meet you antomagoo! We're 3rd already. I did this last year - that will intimidate the opposition even more! If I post tips here they are only for you. Nobody else is to read them. Fine course - country roads but a PB always takes an effort. That's my encouragement!

iarmhi1975 wrote: »
    Hi Folk,

The course is run in the Shannon callows and across bog roads before joining the old Galway road and then back across country.

As already pointed out the start needed attention so we have added a start mat and we will section people off as per timings. We will try to give 15 seconds before each wave starts but as you all know people don't follow that instruction.

It is a 4 mile straight road into the village before you take a turn, then a section with a couple of turns but nothing that would be described as twisty. They are country roads and there is grass in the middle of some of them but we removed that last year(I dont think we can do that this year as we got in trouble for doing it last year)

We are told by county council that they will remove it for us. We will be cutting back hedging as we did in certain areas once we get the appropriate permissions. In the areas where it is narrow there will have been a very good spread of the runners. We have also limited numbers so that the course can take the numbers on the day. Its important to us as runners that people going for a PB have a right good go at it.

We have also been able to secure the old showgrounds beside the college for extra parking so an awful lot of the parking of the day will be within 200m of the race start and will be free.

We have a team working on the route and they will do everything they can to improve it. It is a PB route and there were PB's from 1:20 upwards last year.

Good luck to you all. Thanks for choosing the race. No issues answering any questions at all and welcome comments to help improve things. Its a work in progress.

You mentioned a start mat but the main problem at the start last year was that when runners walked to the start from registration the fast runners went to the front and the slower runners to the back. They then discovered the race was going in the opposite direction and it was difficult to change position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I don't think that's allowed on boards but either way there's a few in my running club looking for an entry as far as I know. I'm only going to give it to somebody that can guarantee me a PB :)
    I'm out myself at the minute :(. I messaged the Flatline guys on Facebook and they had no problem deferring my entry till next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

neilc wrote: »
    I'm out myself at the minute :(. I messaged the Flatline guys on Facebook and they had no problem deferring my entry till next year

Oh dear - hope you recover soon. If you don't get injured at least once a year you're not trying hard enough :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Who is this Claralara one I've been paired with? Hope she can run fast.

Jaybus Pete.... Don't go putting vaseline on your feet or she'll kill you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jaybus Pete.... Don't go putting vaseline on your feet or she'll kill you :D

She has already tracked me down on Book Face and issued various threats. If I didn't know better I'd nearly swear she was a stalker :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Flyer wrote: »
    Pleased to meet you antomagoo! We're 3rd already. I did this last year - that will intimidate the opposition even more! If I post tips here they are only for you. Nobody else is to read them. Fine course - country roads but a PB always takes an effort. That's my encouragement!

How ya Flyer, thanks for the encouragement but I've now got country roads by John Denver stuck in my head. And you can bet a pound to a pinch of ****e it will pop into my head on the first bog road we hit and stay there all the way to the finish. It will be like Kildare 2011 all over again when Jedward were at eurovision :mad:

You mentioned a start mat but the main problem at the start last year was that when runners walked to the start from registration the fast runners went to the front and the slower runners to the back. They then discovered the race was going in the opposite direction and it was difficult to change position.

We will be walking you around the back on the registration area so that you are facing the correct way. Pacers will already be in place at the start lines so that people can line up according to their pace.

But as you know yourself there is no way to stop for people who just dont follow instructions.

It all sounds logical doesnt it:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Recurrence of back problem has me in doubt now for 14th. Not ruling myself out yet but just thought I'd flag it here.Had been really looking forward to this too, would hate to miss it. Not having much luck this year with injuries:(

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

We will be walking you around the back on the registration area so that you are facing the correct way. Pacers will already be in place at the start lines so that people can line up according to their pace.

But as you know yourself there is no way to stop for people who just dont follow instructions.

It all sounds logical doesnt it:P

Well done, I ran this last year and found it to be a good route and a very well organised race. Any - although minor - issues that anyone might have had have been addressed. Lets hope we have a good day next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So, hows everybody doing?? Are ye all feeling confident going into this one? Team Pac-man/martyboy should be ready to go(although pac-man hasn't replied to thread since :D), and I have had my big race haircut/shave :D:D
    Won't be long now, I can see tears at the end of this one, and not tears of happiness!!!

Should make for a nice bit of banter if nothing else :)

Oh, and are any of ye still planning any cross the line celebrations/poses???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Team stass/cm is ready to kick ass :D

Can't see the first two teams being caught but we have 3rd place .....

emo67.gif

...... in the bag :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

damn straight. I'm even planning a haircut next Friday for the after race photo op.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Can't see the first two teams being caught but we have 3rd place

Over my collapsed rotterdam body ye might....other than that...no chance!! :D

Looking forward to looking down on RK in the team results also! ;)

blockic wrote: »

Flyer and antomagoo in third. Combine names to make Floo as in FLOW- it will feel so easy to keep this position.

We'll see your collapsed Rotterdam body and raise you Stass' dodgy Connemara ankle
    Flyer and antomagoo in third. Combine names to make Floo as in FLOW- it will feel so easy to keep this position.

The only place you two will be flowing is down the leaderboard :p

The only place you two will be flowing is down the leaderboard :p

BOOM! :D

statss wrote: »
    damn straight. I'm even planning a haircut next Friday for the after race photo op.

Ahead of you already got the haircut today. Do you get it? AHEAD ....HAIRCUT...no I guess you are a bit SLOW!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I need to get my partners a$$ in gear................

Anyway, by then RR will be injured :D

Dont underestimate the healing powers of the human body! Be afraid of Blocky and I.....be very afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Can't see the first two teams being caught but we have 3rd place .....

emo67.gif

Love the reverse psychology....

As 50% of team in 2nd place and having blown my legs in Longford and twice more this week, good recovery or some second hand calves are required, I can't speak for my partner but he(she?) might need to come good.

However, if I was to see you down the road a mile or two from the finish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

With all the banter and 'walk the walk' talk, I can see an Anchorman standoff between all the teams in Athlone on Saturday. :D People showing up branishing Foam Rollers, The Stick and tying up people in Kenesio tape!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

My ass is well in gear, just not necessarily top gear. Struggled to get out of 1st this morning :(

Anyway, with a name like RunningKing you'll surely make good on any time I lose. :D

pointer28 wrote: »
    Anyway, with a name like RunningKing you'll surely make good on any time I lose. :D

I wouldn't be too sure about that pointer

'not all that glitters is gold'

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

pointer28 wrote: »
    My ass is well in gear, just not necessarily top gear. Struggled to get out of 1st this morning :(

Maybe this one is more appropriate. (Might become permanent next year :pac: )

We have a video organised again for this years race. This league table has been noticed by all the guys on the team and is being watched with interest.

Could I have a few representative of Boards AC during registration to have a chat and explain all, lay down the gauntlet and all that.

Could I have a few representative of Boards AC during registration to have a chat and explain all, lay down the gauntlet and all that.

Great stuff I'll be around early anyway and will call over.

Lad's will be a good opportunity to get a group snap at this. How bout we meet in the registration hall at 10:15 for a pre race chat and pic? I'll wear my boards t-shirt so ye all know who we are!

• Advertisement

Great stuff I'll be around early anyway and will call over.

Lad's will be a good opportunity to get a group snap at this. How bout we meet in the registration hall at 10:15 for a pre race chat and pic? I'll wear my boards t-shirt so ye all know who we are!

I'll be the one on crutches and reeking of deep heat ;)

Advertisement