Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short hours to qualify for FIS

Options
  • 02-07-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

My head is completely fried over this. I work for an organisation funded by the HSE. My contracted hours are 35 per fortnight (17.5 per week) and I have no prospect of them being increased - I have asked. My husband is on JA and we have two small children. Even with the Haddington Road situation my hours would only increase to 37 per fortnight (18.5 per week), therefore still short a half an hour. (I can of course choose to take a pay cut rather than work the extra hours meaning a cut of 30 euro per fortnight after tax)

My question is this. Is it possible for me to make up the shortage of hours by getting a couple of hours work with someone, say, my father who is self employed. What would the implications for him be? I presume I would also have to produce payslips from this employment etc. We really are at our wits end, like a lot of people. MABS have looked at our income & expenditure and apparently there isn't any more we could do to save money.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

kedrek1 wrote: »
    My head is completely fried over this. I work for an organisation funded by the HSE. My contracted hours are 35 per fortnight (17.5 per week) and I have no prospect of them being increased - I have asked. My husband is on JA and we have two small children. Even with the Haddington Road situation my hours would only increase to 37 per fortnight (18.5 per week), therefore still short a half an hour. (I can of course choose to take a pay cut rather than work the extra hours meaning a cut of 30 euro per fortnight after tax)

My question is this. Is it possible for me to make up the shortage of hours by getting a couple of hours work with someone, say, my father who is self employed. What would the implications for him be? I presume I would also have to produce payslips from this employment etc. We really are at our wits end, like a lot of people. MABS have looked at our income & expenditure and apparently there isn't any more we could do to save money.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
    You can get a second job to bring you over the threshold of minimum 19 hours per week or your husband could get a job and both jobs can be combined to get 19 hours.
    If you decide to to work with your father ,your claim will be sent to an DSP inspector and all paper work would need to be produced to show you are actually employed by him and paying any relevant tax's/contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you other employment is with a family member then your case will be assessed by an inspector, this seems to delay things. Also the inspector can call to the employer in some situations, this is from the FIS first time applying thread on here.

Have you e-mailed FIS just in case there are any ways around this? Do you every cover holiday, could FIS take an average of your toatl hours worked last year?

Some shops offer 4 hr contracts, esp for Sunday work.

Could you do 1 shift per week for a care agency?

Babysit for 1 night per week, but it would have to be in the person's home and they would have to pay your PRSI etc (probably wouldn't earn enough to warrant this).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kedrek1

Thanks for your answers. It looks like working for my Dad is a non runner as anything I do for him I do from home and is cash in hand (nominal amount!). My other half is going mad from looking for work (he has been unemployed for 6 and a half years). Anything he's "qualified" for only pays minimum wage and there's no way that would allow us to put a second car on the road or pay full cost childcare (we currently avail of community childcare subvention for the youngest for 5 half days). I'm amazed we have managed to keep our heads above water this long but it's looking like we're about to hit a brick wall...

Fingers crossed we'll manage to sort something out.

Advertisement