Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car passed NCT two weeks ago and steering wobble above 80kmh

• 02-07-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I bought a used car which passed NCT just 14 days ago. I drove the car before buying at 50/60km speed road and it seemed fine. but after buying two days later, I drove on motorway, as soon it hits 80-90km speed the front right side and steering starts vibrating/wobbling it gets worse at speed about 100. After doing little search on internet, I assume it could b buckled alloys, damaged tyres, alignment, wheel balancing, right side arm etc etc.
    But I really wondering, how come this car passed the NCT. When I buy this car I assumed, with NCT, all main safety features would be tested and certified to highest standard. This fault does not seem occur after test, just in 13 days, infact the car was at stand still since after the test.
    So basically, I bought a dangerous car, which is really a serious risk on road to me and every other road user, but certified as safe tested vehicle, it feels some part of the car will blow away, if I did not bring down speed below 70km.
    Does not NCT check if the steering or body of the car will shake above 80km speed?
    I rang my mechanic and he is busy till Friday, and now I am just scared to drive this car in case something happened.
    any solution guys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Relax its just a wheel out of balance, weights can fall off, get a tyre place to balance your wheels about 20 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You could have just lost a wheel balancing weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Similar happened our Peugeot 2 months after NCT .

It was the wishbone was damaged .- and it passed NCT .

Dangerous to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

1. Go to a tyre shop
    2. Ask them to balance your front wheels.
    3. Pay them the cost - prob E20 for 2 wheels
    4. Test the success by driving at 100km/hr

The NCT, as you may not know, has no way of driving every car at 100km/hr. Furthermore this is not a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It could just be that the wheels need to be rebalanced, any tyre centre will check and balance them for you if needed. I think you may be overacting a little and just need to take a deep breath and then relax. It doesn't mean you have been sold a death trap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Bigus wrote: »
    get a tyre place to balance your wheels about 20 euro

If even, tenner more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

foxhill wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I bought a used car which passed NCT just 14 days ago. I drove the car before buying at 50/60km speed road and it seemed fine. but after buying two days later, I drove on motorway, as soon it hits 80-90km speed the front right side and steering starts vibrating/wobbling it gets worse at speed about 100. After doing little search on internet, I assume it could b buckled alloys, damaged tyres, alignment, wheel balancing, right side arm etc etc.
    But I really wondering, how come this car passed the NCT. When I buy this car I assumed, with NCT, all main safety features would be tested and certified to highest standard. This fault does not seem occur after test, just in 13 days, infact the car was at stand still since after the test.
    So basically, I bought a dangerous car, which is really a serious risk on road to me and every other road user, but certified as safe tested vehicle, it feels some part of the car will blow away, if I did not bring down speed below 70km.
    Does not NCT check if the steering or body of the car will shake above 80km speed?
    I rang my mechanic and he is busy till Friday, and now I am just scared to drive this car in case something happened.
    any solution guys?

NCT bascially means it safe on the day. 2 years is a long time between tests.

My old car had a slint kink in the Alloy as well, passed the NCT, but would cause a wooble too once it went over 110k. Even with a recent tracking, and recently balanced tyres.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Get the wheels balanced first could be as simple as that, then go from there the nct don't check for buckles on wheels, how could they know it wobbles at high speed, they do check bushes, suspension, wheel bearing for play, and also visual check of the under body, so it's probably something simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭foxhill

Guys, thank you very much for replies. TBH, I dnt give a fly feck, as long it is driving, I was only worried after reading other peoples comments about body shaking and steering wobble, how dangerous it could be.
    anyway, I am going to mechanic/tyre shop on Thursday or Friday. will post back faults/results

Advertisement