Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread Ban

Options
  • 02-07-2013 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'd like to see what others opinions of thread bans are.

I think they are a very personal insult, and should be removed.
    The punishment being permanent shows the mod thinks you are incapable of learning your lesson.

If that was the case, surely a site ban would be more appropriate.

Of course a poster should be reprimanded if they over step the mark. But with leave to learn from their infraction and then continue to contribute to the boards community.

Cheers,

G.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

They're good where a normally well behaved user loses it when talking about certain topics in the forum. Our forum bans work in the same way, you can have someone whose posts are fine in the gaming or sports forums but they give people a lot of abuse in Politics for whatever reason. A forum ban is more appropriate than a siteban in this case normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

nesf wrote: »
    They're good where a normally well behaved user loses it when talking about certain topics in the forum. Our forum bans work in the same way, you can have someone whose posts are fine in the gaming or sports forums but they give people a lot of abuse in Politics for whatever reason. A forum ban is more appropriate than a siteban in this case normally.
    Does a thread ban count against a poster's record? Or is it just a 'behave yourself' type warning?

Does a thread ban count against a poster's record? Or is it just a 'behave yourself' type warning?

There's no formal record of thread bans. I can't tell if anyone has been thread banned or not at any point from a Soc forum by looking at their record for instance. It's the same with on-thread warnings, there is no record kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some forums might make a note of users banned from threads and keep it in mind for future use.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Gokei wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'd like to see what others opinions of thread bans are.

I think they are a very personal insult
    , and should be removed.

No offence, but this is ridiculous.

People should learn not to take mod actions personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

jordainius wrote: »
    No offence, but this is ridiculous.

People should learn not to take mod actions personally.
    None taken, what about the rest of my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

darced wrote: »
    I have never seen this happen, sometimes there may be a glib/smart Alec comment, but I would think personal digs are at the hen's teeth of the spectrum and should be nipped in the bud by Admin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

None taken, what about the rest of my post?

Fair enough, you have a point to an extent, there should be a time limit on a thread ban of no longer than a week or 3 days, rather than a permanent "Don't post in this thread again".

Its better to avoid handing out forum or site bans unless absolutely necessary. Lets say someone with a clear record over a few years of using the site regularly posts in After Hours, hasn't so much as a warning to his/her name, one day a new thread is started which this poster has strong views on and starts to become quite heated and oversteps the mark. Better to have the option of telling that poster stay away from this thread for 3/7 days rather than giving them an infraction which will forever stay on their record.

darced wrote: »

Well if somebody thinks a thread ban is a personal insult, that would be rather hard to do. At that rate, saying a poster was banned on thread would be a huge personal slur.

Thread bans were brought in by user request, users wanted something between closing threads due to personal spats and getting cards/bans. I think they work well in stopping threads get derailed and soap boxed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think they are a very personal insult, and should be removed.
    The punishment being permanent shows the mod thinks you are incapable of learning your lesson.

If that was the case, surely a site ban would be more appropriate.
    I think you are on your own if you think people are more insulted by a thread ban than a site ban.

A thread ban is an unofficial sanction which avoids having anything permanent on a user's record. Think of it like a barman refusing to serve an individual any more drink.

Thread bans are completely at the discretion of the mod, and don't necessarily have to be permanent. If someone feels, after a suitable 'sobering' period has passed, that they can keep their head in a thread they can always PM the mod to request permission to post again.

Dades wrote: »
    I think you are on your own if you think people are more insulted by a thread ban than a site ban.

A thread ban is an unofficial sanction which avoids having anything permanent on a user's record. Think of it like a barman refusing to serve an individual any more drink.

Thread bans are completely at the discretion of the mod, and don't necessarily have to be permanent. If someone feels, after a suitable 'sobering' period has passed, that they can keep their head in a thread they can always PM the mod to request permission to post again.

I'm only referring to permanent thread bans.. the insult less in the implication that you are incapable of learning a lesson. As in my initial post, temporary thread, forum and site bans serve their purpose well.

I'm only referring to permanent thread bans.. the insult less in the implication that you are incapable of learning a lesson. As in my initial post, temporary thread, forum and site bans serve their purpose well.

Permanent thread bans are no different to permanent forum bans.

nesf wrote: »
    Permanent thread bans are no different to permanent forum bans.

Not really. Thread bans handed out for first offences, against forum bans which are handed out only after other avenues (temp thread bans, on thread warnings, yellow cards) have been exhausted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not really. Thread bans handed out for first offences, against forum bans which are handed out only after other avenues (temp thread bans, on thread warnings, yellow cards) have been exhausted.

I've never seen anyone thread banned for a first post on this site.

In my experience,thread bans are issued when a poster has been directed to rein themselves in but choose to ignore the mod request.

It's usually when someone is acting the bollox on a thread or deliberately trying to wind up other users.

Please post to some examples,even one example,where a user has been thread banned for their first comment in a thread,I reckon it is as rare as hens teeth tbh.

I've never seen anyone thread banned for a first post on this site.

In my experience,thread bans are issued when a poster has been directed to rein themselves in but choose to ignore the mod request.

It's usually when someone is acting the bollox on a thread or deliberately trying to wind up other users.

Please post to some examples,even one example,where a user has been thread banned for their first comment in a thread,I reckon it is as rare as hens teeth tbh.
    Specifics? Not going to happen. Questioning a mod decision it's a cardable offence.

If I get an assurance from one of the admins posting here that I won't be infracted for quoting a mod decision, I'll link it when I get to a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You only get carded for questioning a mod decision if you do it on the thread where the action was taken. It's taking a discussion off topic, that's why it's not allowed. Posting it here is not an issue.

humanji wrote: »
    You only get carded for questioning a mod decision if you do it on the thread where the action was taken. It's taking a discussion off topic, that's why it's not allowed. Posting it here is not an issue.

Cheers for that. I'll link when I get to a laptop later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'll link it when I get to a laptop.
    I hope your general thoughts on threads-bans aren't based on one particular incident.

An improper use of a thread-ban is the same as an improper use of a card or a forum ban. It doesn't mean that, as a tool of moderation, it should be discarded - just used better. I'm sure many who have avoided cards or forum-bans would agree.

I've permanently banned people for a single post. Now, in fairness, you've really got to be taking the piss for this to happen to you, or be a spammer.

• Advertisement

I simply asked for members opinions on permanent thread bans.

I had no interest in quoting examples until called on to do so.

I think we're all in agreement that as a punishment for a single offence they are past the higher end of the spectrum. That's it really.
    Thanks all for the input.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This seems to be getting needlessly confrontational. I simply asked for members opinions on permanent thread bans.

I think we're all in agreement that as a punishment for a single offence they are past the higher end of the spectrum. That's it really. Thanks.

Are you confusing a thread ban with a forum ban perhaps?

I think we're all in agreement that as a punishment for a single offence they are past the higher end of the spectrum. That's it really.
    Thanks all for the input.

I don't think so at all as it doesn't show on your record at all, a yellow card does.

Spear wrote: »
    Are you confusing a thread ban with a forum ban perhaps?

No. I was lurking on a thread when a mod posted, quoting all posts he was infracting, his closing comment,

"Those infracted, do not post in this thread again"

He didn't give them a chance to inwardly digest the initial infraction, permanently banning them from the thread. Insinuating that they are incapable of learning from the initial warning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No. I was lurking on a thread when a mod posted, quoting all posts he was infracting, his closing comment,

"Those infracted, do not post in this thread again"

He didn't give them a chance to inwardly digest the initial infraction, permanently banning them from the thread. Insinuating that they are incapable of learning from the initial warning.

If they haven't been able to refrain from doing something worthy of the infraction, then a thread ban can often be to protect those users from themselves and doing something warranting stronger action.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Is a post in another thread bringing up the fact that a poster has been threadbanned considered trolling/baiting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would say it is unnecessary and depending on the context inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thread bans are not tracked, and for the most part depend on other posters reporting the user if they do choose to re-post in the thread

For the most part they're actually a fair intermediary step from a warning/infraction to a full on forum ban. The length of a thread ban is rarely specified since most threads fizzle out within a couple days. For longer threads, I suppose you could always PM the moderator and ask if its OK to rejoin the thread after an agreed upon cooldown period.

If you're insulted/embarrassed about a thread ban: well, thats a start. The whole point is to moderate user behavior to keep the forum running more constructively.
    MadsL wrote: »
    Is a post in another thread bringing up the fact that a poster has been threadbanned considered trolling/baiting?
    I'd think so. Unlike our other discussion about bringing up a posters old posts to refute and argument, I can't imagine a situation where the user's ban status is relevant to any in-forum discussion

MadsL wrote: »

It would depend completely on the context. Most of the time it's going to be used as a stick to bash someone over the head with but there's probably some legitimate instances where it's acceptable (e.g. someone who always gets thread banned from the abortion threads getting stuck into a new user and an old hand saying to the newbie to ignore them since they end up getting thread banned anyway is possible acceptable).

• Advertisement
Advertisement