Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Options in Corrandulla Galway

• 02-07-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any idea of the options for broadband in the Corrandulla area of Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

iPhone. wrote: »
    Has anyone got any idea of the options for broadband in the Corrandulla area of Galway?

Should be able to get DSL there, however it's only 8Mbs that is available.
    Failing that Airwire http://www.airwire.ie/ is available too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

bealtine wrote: »
    Should be able to get DSL there, however it's only 8Mbs that is available.
    Failing that Airwire http://www.airwire.ie/ is available too.

Thanks for that, airwire seems pretty expensive and their speeds pretty slow.

Do you have any real time information as to what speeds can be got in the area on the phone line from that 8Mb package?

Thanks for that, airwire seems pretty expensive and their speeds pretty slow.

Do you have any real time information as to what speeds can be got in the area on the phone line from that 8Mb package?

No such thing as the speed delivered depends on how far you are from the exchange...but the max you can get is "upto" 8Mbs

Basically what I am trying to garner is if you are living in the area and are speaking from a position of fact, can you give me an idea of what speed for example you can get and your distance from the exchange?

It would be a point of reference or yardstick then for me to try figure out the likely speeds available from where I need it.

Does anyone know where the exchange that serves Gortroe is located?

• Advertisement

Basically what I am trying to garner is if you are living in the area and are speaking from a position of fact, can you give me an idea of what speed for example you can get and your distance from the exchange?

It would be a point of reference or yardstick then for me to try figure out the likely speeds available from where I need it.

No I don't live in the area...but the physics are the same if you live in Dublin or Clifden... See this graph : https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/19162/261013.jpg

Does anyone know where the exchange that serves Gortroe is located?

Gortroe is served from Athenry which is also an 8Mb exchange

Thanks for that, I realise it's distance related, but what I am trying to find out is an idea of the speeds being achieved in the Gortroe area, not hypothetical but real time.

approx 5.8KM from Athenry then, so the speeds would be pretty much at their limit, between 1 and 2 mb probably.

Thanks for the help Bealtaine.

Thanks for that, I realise it's distance related, but what I am trying to find out is an idea of the speeds being achieved in the Gortroe area, not hypothetical but real time.

You'll have to ask your neighbours that question...

Facts and physics aren't "hypothetical" and are the same in Gortroe as everywhere else. The only thing specific to your area would be the quality of the copper in the ground but that's usually fairly consistent...

• Advertisement

approx 5.8KM from Athenry then, so the speeds would be pretty much at their limit, between 1 and 2 mb probably.

Thanks for the help Bealtaine.

At that distance I doubt they'll even supply broadband sorry to say as it's "out of range"

OK, just took a look at the map again, are you sure Athenry exchange serves Gortroe, Corrandulla? Because thats over 24KM away from Gortroe.

Advertisement