Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Lunch/Dinner in Cork City

Options
  • 03-07-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Every time I'm in town I rack my brain to think of a good place for healthy reasonably priced feed. I always draw blanks and end up in one of the many unhealthy joints we have in the city. Am I not thinking of somewhere? Anywhere in Cork City you can get a healthy reasonably priced feed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

theglobe wrote: »
    Every time I'm in town I rack my brain to think of a good place for healthy reasonably priced feed. I always draw blanks and end up in one of the many unhealthy joints we have in the city. Am I not thinking of somewhere? Anywhere in Cork City you can get a healthy reasonably priced feed?

Not sure about the price,,but Quay Co-Op on Sullivan's Quay do all veggie/vegan foods.

Probably a few more spots around,,but that's the only one I'd know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Ah thanks. Had heard of that but forgot about it. Must check it out. Ended up getting the 2 for 1 deal with a friend in wagamamas today, they try to present a bit of a healthy vibe. Chicken Katsu curry 1200 calories :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

theglobe wrote: »
    Chicken Katsu curry 1200 calories :rolleyes:

Anything is as healthy as you make it, Wagamama does have several salad options as well as probably 20 dishes that is lower on calories than the katsu... When you choose deep fried chicken... :p

You may want to try Orso though, they look like they have some very good, healthy options. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I second the recommendation for Orso on Pembrooke street. Don't know about calories but the ingredients are very fresh, tasty and healthy - ok, some of the sauces are probably loaded with tasty 'bad' stuff ;) Love their hot food options for lunch. Haven't tried their baguettes/sandwiches (www.orso.ie)

Cafe Gusto is another great lunch spot. Again, no idea of calorie details but there's always and nice selection of options with tasty fresh ingredients (www.cafegusto.com/)

The restaurant up in the English market is another great option. Freshest of ingredients and lots of choice. Probably the healthiest of the 3 I've mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Not sure about the price,,but Quay Co-Op on Sullivan's Quay do all veggie/vegan foods..

good food but pricy. A bite to eat costs €10 - €12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can eat healthy most places, unless you are going for fast food every time.

What about the farmgate in the market.

The Electric has a fish bar upstairs, can't get much healthier than simple fish.

It all depends on what you consider healthy, good value and what is a good feed?

For some it's no carbs, for others it's veggie, others is skipping dessert, others it's just fewer chips.

pwurple wrote: »
    The Electric has a fish bar upstairs, can't get much healthier than simple fish.

The Electric has excellent food but it's not what I'd call "healthy food". It's big portions, plenty of sauces, probably all cooked in butter etc. I once had a potato side that was stuffed with yummy cheese. Ya know, your typical nice restaurant but just not especially 'healthy'. I haven't eaten in the fish bar yet but while fish is healthy, it all depends on how it is cooked and what sides accompany it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Bacchus wrote: »
    The Electric has excellent food but it's not what I'd call "healthy food". It's big portions, plenty of sauces, probably all cooked in butter etc. I once had a potato side that was stuffed with yummy cheese. Ya know, your typical nice restaurant but just not especially 'healthy'. I haven't eaten in the fish bar yet but while fish is healthy, it all depends on how it is cooked and what sides accompany it.

That's my point. You can make healthy or unhealthy choices anywhere.
    If you choose the sauce laden meat with cheesy spuds, over the other item on the menu... chicken salad with mango dressing... of course the first one is worse for you.

The fish bar does things like cerviche, seared tuna, raw oysters.
    Veg is usually has a choice, something like runner beans with lemon juice. They always have a side salad option instead of the veg too.

I don't know how any of those would be called unhealthy.

Go for the deep fried prawns, dipped in mayo, and that's a different story (although a delicious one!).

If the OP is looking for a place with guaranteed lack of temptation, I'd say he's out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Amicus is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

doovdela wrote: »
    Amicus is good?

+1 for Amicus!! And reasonable enough too for an early bird etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

louloumc89 wrote: »
    Bobas, cafe on MacCurtain street. Just opened up...

Had a quick look on their facebook page and while there are no menus having everything locally sourced and their sheer enthusiasm for food has me convinced, adding this one to my list. Thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Try cafebardeli Academy Street (I think). Very tasty, healthy and reasonable. I love it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

doovdela wrote: »
    Amicus is good?

Awful.

I think it's harsh to say Amicus is awful. It's not as good as it used to be but it does a decent lunch with generous portions. Again, like The Electric (excepting the new fish bar which I have not tried), I don't think it's a restaurant that belongs on a "healthy lunch/dinner" thread. I get the argument that you can pick healthier options from the menu but in that case everything bar McDonalds and their kind could be listed on this thread. I'm sure Scoozies offer up a salad option somewhere on their menu too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bacchus wrote: »
    I think it's harsh to say Amicus is awful. It's not as good as it used to be

It must be worse than I thought so. I was basing my review on experiences I had there several years ago. Truly awful food and service - both times.

:) I've had lunch there twice since the new year... including New Years Day actually. I found the staff pleasant and as I said, the food was good and in generous portions. It's not 'fine dining' but it's good food. Mind you, on the second of my trips there the food was quite slow coming out to us and I remember thinking our waitress must have fcuked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

OP, looks like you're looking for "Very Health Food" on Douglas Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I don't think the food of any restaurant is going to be particularly healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

for food on the go what about the salad bar at the stall across from K O'Connell's in the English Market... nice salad options along with sandwichs/rolls....dam tasty, get lunch there on a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Armaiti

I like Orso too. They have a good variety of interesting healthy options (not just the classic salad) and you can tell they use fresh ingredients.
    I've been there twice and I loved it. They have also a nice organic coffee.

Maybe it's the first thing that come to mind because they have pasta, but I also suggest Italee in Oliver Plunkett (near Hickey's). Their food is excellent and they don't use junk sauces and similar stuff. I think that maybe some pasta made with fresh & organic ingredients could be better than a super creamy soup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement