Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal, Where are ye? What are ye?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I visited Donegal last year as part of a roadtrip and I must say it is one of the most beautiful counties of Ireland but more to the point, im curious to know something....

I met some amazing characters on the way and some natives consider themselves Donegal first then Irish and some consider themselves Northern Irish?? Its almost like Donegal should be its own country :)

So my question is, whats your opinion of where you're from and where do you think Donegal should be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Well technically we are northern Ireland and have the northern most point (Malin) but we aren't Northern Ireland (very slight difference)

In my opinion the reason some of us class ourselves as Donegal first Irish second is the fact that since the partition in the 20's we have been effectively cut off from the rest of the country and kinda remained that way.

Transport was cut off with a large area of rail no longer in use (i believe Dublin-Belfast is the only cross boarder rail travel still) and Derry which was our main transport hub was cut off from us.

Even economically we were crippled as Derry again served as our main port and financial center.

So now with only a few km of border with the rest of the republic (or free state at the time) on the far bottom west of the country links to the new capital were stretched and (again my opinion) never fixed.

This has led to a constant feeling that we are the forgotten county and this has often been reinforced by the government offices themselves. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/donegal-wiped-off-crisis-hq-maps-26651587.html]Story

And even in minor things like Donegal not getting as much time on the Late Late as Dublin did or being left on in weather or news reports, or lack of investment (the western corridor is a prime example of this)

There was some talk in the last few years from politicians about making Donegal its own country (and despite it being all hot wind) but amazingly when discussed at length (in the pub) there was very few downsides.

When you mix all this together with the questions from people in your own country asking do you need a passport or asking about Sterling (most in jest but not all) it leaves us feeling forgotten.

I love my county and am proud of it, but lack of opportunities and infrastructure (good luck trying to figure out buses) gets to ya and even makes me think of leaving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I moved South from Northern Ireland into Ireland, but went further North as I did. Hope that makes sense.

As a Derry native, I have always had a very close affinity to Donegal, probably more so than to the rest of County Derry. I feel that the people of Donegal are more like me than those on towards Dungiven and Magherafelt etc. A lot of city folk feel this.

I have been living in Donegal now for over 13yrs, and I love it. I think sometimes we take the natural beauty of it for granted, but I do often find myself taking the odd look around roads I travel daily and seeing a view and thinking to myself just how nice it actually is. Its kinda like you might travel to far off fields in Ireland or other parts of the world, see a view and think its great, but you actually have those sorts of view every day where you live.

I find the people so friendly in Donegal, its almost like stepping back into a different time. Even as a Derry 'mucker' I was always made more than welcome by everyone I met over the years. Derry folk are renowned for their friendliness, but I think the Donegal people take it to a new level completely. One simple example is the raised finger! When I drive all around home, every other DL reg car that passes you will give you the 'raised finger'. A nice little hello. It might seem a small thing but you miss it when you go outside of the 'raised finger' areas. I find myself doing it to people in Derry the odd time, then have to think to myself "you're not at home now".

Admittedly our infrastructure is rubbish, we are forgotten when it comes to jobs and investment and generally starved of a lot of services. Where I live I can only dream of fibre powered broadband! But its no less a place for these failings. I have a lasting memory of getting a bus a couple of years ago in Donegal, and the bus driver kept the money in a washed out plastic ice cream tub. Where else would you get that! I know many will say its backward, but I thought it was great. A real step back in time by a county that doesn't comform to the rules. I often wondered what US or German tourists would think of it.

I am lucky that I live relatively close to the border, so I can have the best of both worlds. Many people moved into Donegal to avail of cheap housing during the boom years, and many couldn't wait to get back into the North. Not me though, I am a proud Derry man, but I feel at home now. Plus I have Donegal wains now who are obsessed with tractors, farms and the like, so I'm stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Donegal is in Ulster but is not part of Northern Ireland but is in the North of Ireland. It is one of the most beautiful places I know. I love it. The scenery almost throughout the whole county is breathtaking. It has hills, valleys, rivers, lakes, mountains, forests , farmland, bogland and miles of the most stunning beaches. The people are friendly and nighlife lively. The infrastructure has improved a little but compared to other areas of Ireland not enough. There is no rail network. Employment high therefore immigration high. It is in my opinion one of the most forgotten counties in Ireland but also one of the hidden gems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭club goldgrain

i heard its great for surfing?
    i have never been there,, maybe someday
    never surfed either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

As the old song goes - If I could I'd build a wall.......;-)

We are our own kind of people us Donegal folk, keep the'Gem' well hidden is what I say;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

I love Donegal. I agree with NIMAN, most people from Derry have a stronger connection to Donegal than the rest of the county. I haven't actually been to Donegal in several years because I was living abroad but I look forward to a road trip. Tullagh Bay is easily my most favourite beach there and the Poison Glen is an absolutely stunning area.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was at Dunree Fort a few years ago and overheard an American tourist mention to his elderly relative (either mother or mother-in-law) about Malin Head being the most Northernly point in Ireland.

She replied, "so I guess thats in Northern Ireland then".

"No, its in Southern Ireland but more North than Northern Ireland".

Cue questions like "how can it be more North than NI and still be in the South?" type questions. It lasted a good few minutes and in the end I was going to head off to my car to get her a map to help her see the light

But it made for an entertaining listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Thanks for replying everyone, I have a friend from Moville and have stayed there but taxi-ed to Derry for the night out. I've always said the more west you go in Ireland the friendlier the people are but now its occuring to me that its actually to more north-west you go :) I have a great respect for Donegal (and Derry :) )and the people from there. Its been a while since i had the pleasure but im mad to get back up there with a good camera. Its one of the places on this island that makes me realise how lucky I am to be Irish because of its sheer beauty.

also I want to have a pint with you all :D

Maybe some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

See us Donegal people, we're mad us!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mike in CT

I have family from Teelin and Malinbeg and have been overwhelmed with the warmth of Donegal and the raw beauty of the shoreline and landscape. My wife and I participated in the Ardara walking festival for eight years, the good weather and bad weather. Great way to see SW Donegal get to know folks.

Often individuals ask me about planning trips to Ireland. I advise, take your first trip to the southwest, Killkenny, Dingle, Kerry, The Buren, etc. Take your second trip to Donegal.

Where else in Ireland can you be alone with this view.

Gleanlough_zpsf9384fba.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement