Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing ruined by washing machine

Options
  • 03-07-2013 7:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Myself and a number of other people living in a premises we are renting have had a number of pieces of clothing absolutely destroyed by a faulty washing machine , I've had a good shirt which cost me 60 euro get absolutely reefed and a number of t-shirts also , it's seems like there are sharp edges inside the machine which have caused the issue , the machine will have to be either replaced or repaired but am I entitled to the cost of the clothing also ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I'd say you will have a hard time proving that the landlord is in any way responsible for the damage to your clothes. Have you got contents insurance? You might be able to claim for the shirt on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did you report it to the landlord before it done the damage?

If the answer is yes, we'll its your responsibility to mitigate againest losses so you should have stopped using it.

If the answer is no, then its unreasonable for you to expect the landlord to foresee an issue and rectify it.

So basically your on your own, you could also be responsible for replacing the washing machine if the damage was done by you loading it wrong, placingetal object in it which caused the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Myself and a number of other people living in a premises we are renting have had a number of pieces of clothing absolutely destroyed by a faulty washing machine , I've had a good shirt which cost me 60 euro get absolutely reefed and a number of t-shirts also , it's seems like there are sharp edges inside the machine which have caused the issue , the machine will have to be either replaced or repaired but am I entitled to the cost of the clothing also ?

The first piece of clothing/first wash would be the landlords responsibility to replace as the machine damaged them, that's assuming that you haven't damaged the machine yourselves. If something you put in there damaged the machine then not only are you responsible to replace/repair your own clothes your also responsible for the repair/replacement of the washing machine.

After the first damaged load/piece of clothing you could not claim for any others as there was a problem with the machine yet ye continued to use it.

Did you report the issue to the landlord - in writing so it can be proved - after the first lot of damaged clothes? I not there is nothing you can do/claim for, the landlord has to know about a broken machine in order to fix it/replace it

The first piece of clothing/first wash would be the landlords responsibility to replace as the machine damaged them, that's assuming that you haven't damaged the machine yourselves. If something you put in there damaged the machine then not only are you responsible to replace/repair your own clothes your also responsible for the repair/replacement of the washing machine.

Even if the tenant didnt damage the machine, why would it be the landlords responsibility to replace any item of clothing damaged by it? Unless the tenant can prove that the landlord knew of the defect I really dont see how the OP can have any case against the landlord other than to have the machine repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

djimi wrote: »
    Even if the tenant didnt damage the machine, why would it be the landlords responsibility to replace any item of clothing damaged by it? Unless the tenant can prove that the landlord knew of the defect I really dont see how the OP can have any case against the landlord other than to have the machine repaired.

Exactly. Its a nonsense to say the first set of clothes damaged are the landlords responsibility.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, that's strange, I would have accepted responsibility if the tenants had shown me the damaged clothes - but only for the first load, after that it is their own fault.

I must be too easy on them :P

Hmmm, that's strange, I would have accepted responsibility if the tenants had shown me the damaged clothes - but only for the first load, after that it is their own fault.

I must be too easy on them :P

I dont see why you would accept responsibility; unless you knew the machine was faulty then I dont see why you would be to blame? These things happen; its usually nobodys fault. Thats what insurance is for if the clothes are worth enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

This would be covered under the tenants own insurance (not the landlords). It is the duty of the landlord to repair/replace the machine- but they wouldn't have any liability for the clothing that got damaged (why do you imagine they do?)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Why on earth did you guys keep using the machine after it apparently damaged clothes?

This would be covered under the tenants own insurance (not the landlords). It is the duty of the landlord to repair/replace the machine- but they wouldn't have any liability for the clothing that got damaged (why do you imagine they do?)

I have yet to meet a tenant that has taken out insurance - even when I point out to them my insurance can't cover their belongings they don't seem to bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have yet to meet a tenant that has taken out insurance .

I always did, when I rented.

We had a washing machine issue once. Turned out to be a wire from an underwire bra that tore through clothing. Needless to say, no fault on the landlord.

I have yet to meet a tenant that has taken out insurance - even when I point out to them my insurance can't cover their belongings they don't seem to bother.

Most renters I know have contents insurance; youd want to be out of your mind not to have it for the sake of €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Paulw wrote: »
    I always did, when I rented.

We had a washing machine issue once. Turned out to be a wire from an underwire bra that tore through clothing. Needless to say, no fault on the landlord.

this is a very common problem with washing machines - the wire goes through the holes in the drum and lodges between the drum and the outer section. it then sticks back through the holes as the drum rotates. You may be able to remove it with a tweezers.

Most renters I know have contents insurance; youd want to be out of your mind not to have it for the sake of €150.

In a fully furnished apartment what benefit does it offer the tenant ? Why would they be mad not to have it ?

ted1 wrote: »
    In a fully furnished apartment what benefit does it offer the tenant ? Why would they be mad not to have it ?

Because it covers everything from TVs, laptops, phones, games consoles etc (inside and outside the home with the right policy) to clothes and other personal belongings. For such a small amount of money its an absolute no brainer.

Because it covers everything from TVs, laptops, phones, games consoles etc (inside and outside the home with the right policy) to clothes and other personal belongings. For such a small amount of money its an absolute no brainer.
    TBH I think your wrong. It might cover all them but what is the likelihood of all them
    Being stolen or damaged? A lot of people have work phones and laptops so there out if the equation. So your left with TV and games console which if bought on some credit card have some protection. When I was renting I had about 1000 worth of belongings in the house .

Insurance is often a tax on the niave.

As I said to the person selling phone watch , how much is the protection, she replied about 300 a year I asked whats the average take, she replied about 2500, me personally I'll take the risk of being robbed every 8 off years and still be up money.

Ill put it this way, in my house I have probably 10-15 items, any one of which if it were broken/stolen would cost several times what I pay for the policy to replace. My phone alone would cost about €500 to replace and it is covered on the policy. My laptop €700, bike €350, girlfriends camera is probably the guts of €1000. All of them are covered for damage/loss outside the home as well as in it. I might never need to claim for any of those, but I cant really afford to replace any of them if I had to (nor can I afford to be without most of them), but I can certainly afford the €150 a year to insure them.

If you go through your belongings youll find your stuff is worth considerably more than you think. The clothes alone in most peoples homes would be worth well over €1000.

And contrary to what you may think, most people do not have work phones/laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's not just about theft either. A fire in a rented home does no less damage than in an owner occupied one. Of course most people "lose" on insurance policies otherwise insurance companies would all go bust. I have term life assurance that I hope I "lose" on but I have peace of mind because of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

murphaph wrote: »
    It's not just about theft either. A fire in a rented home does no less damage than in an owner occupied one. Of course most people "lose" on insurance policies otherwise insurance companies would all go bust. I have term life assurance that I hope I "lose" on but I have peace of mind because of it.

This last year or two- most insurance companies have actually lost on their underwriting business (including the health insurers) the only thing keeping their heads above water has been investment income. Some of the annual reports make pretty scary reading (when you see the executive summaries, with the percentage increases necessary on policies in order for the underwriting side of the businesses to break even).

In an Irish context- our premia are quite competitive- and any tenant will almost certainly be sorely disappointed if they imagine their landlord's policy covers any of their personal belongings.

Advertisement