Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk in green house.

• 03-07-2013 8:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, bought one of these from lidl/aldi a few years ago and it's sat in the shed ever since. It's a metal frame with plastic netted sheeting over with a zip type door. Decided to put it together yesterday in a sheltered (from wind)sunny spot in the garden and start using it. Question is what to sow? Is this something that could be used all year round. Not a expert , but currently have peas, carrots, beet root and scallions sown outside.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well the first thing you need to do is anchor it down with heavy blocks or slabs. They are also known as blowaways :) I had one for about three years before the plastic cover degraded and fell apart. But it was great to get me going.
    What were you hoping to try? Sowings from now are limited, it's getting late, or past late for tender greenhouse stuff. Have a look here ...
    http://nickykylegardening.com/blog/204-what-to-sow-in-july-2013

Or you could go round some garden centres and hardware stores and see if you can pick up some well developed tomato and pepper plants.

They heat very very fast and your plants can literally cook in the heat. SO be vigilant and open those zips when needs be.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

Cheers Redser,

Its defo not the sturdiest of things but if I secure it well its a start.
    Sick of looking at it in the box in the shed and not that its put together its
    too big to leave in the shed. Is there any use for it over the winter months though???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Not really. I mean you could do some winter type salad leaves and lettuce. And some of things listed on that site. Would you be interested in that?
    In my opinion having had one, and knowing that the cover only lasts for a few years, their main value is in spring and summer for the tender stuff like tomatoes, and growing on other stuff in modules and pots for planting out later. So I would pack it away for the winter and save it from the harsh weather. Take it out next Spring and get the best use out of it then for a few months. Then pack it away again for the winter.
    If you catch the growing bug you might end up buying a more permenent structure/greenhouse down the road.

Cheers Redser,

Thats enough to get me started...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liamofT

I think i have the same one as you from Lidl

I would agree with previous posters about its kite-like tendencies!

What to grow? - might be a bit late in year to sow from seed at this stage. Aldi have cucumber and peppers in pots at mo along with grow bags to put them in. Thats what I done
    A usefull tool is a max and min thermometer for a greenhouse. Mine recorded 10C to 35C over last few days. keep it ventilated

• Advertisement

Ok folks, should I be getting strawberry or tomatto plants with fruit showing or does that matter.
    Want to try scouting garden centres tomorrow..

Advertisement