Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passage East Car Ferry

Options
  • 03-07-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Heading to Duncannon from Kilkenny this weekend and need to stop off in Waterford on the way. Anybody know how often the passage east car ferry operates? All it says on the website is: "You won't be waiting long" which is a uniquely Irish approach to scheduling!!!

Thanks for the help,

Benny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

The ferry goes across approx every 15 mins during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

biddy21 wrote: »
    The ferry goes across approx every 15 mins during the day

Thanks Biddy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Their description is accurate - there is no specific schedule but it does not tend to hang about, takes on whatever cars are waiting, goes across, same the other side. Its very efficient, I much prefer to use it than drive the N25, which is a good road but a bit boring to drive. Time-wise, on average, there is almost no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

looksee wrote: »
    Their description is accurate - there is no specific schedule but it does not tend to hang about, takes on whatever cars are waiting, goes across, same the other side. Its very efficient, I much prefer to use it than drive the N25, which is a good road but a bit boring to drive. Time-wise, on average, there is almost no difference.

Depends where you are going to or coming from. generally save 20-40 minutes going to wexford town.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Depends where you are going to or coming from. generally save 20-40 minutes going to wexford town.

Yes I agree, I vaguely thought that when I wrote it. We do Tramore to Taghmon on a frequent basis and its generally 65-70 minutes by the ferry and about 75 by the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I would travel from Tramore to Ramsgrange/ Campile a few times a year, and tend to travel by road. The odd time, I'd come home on the ferry. It's no length back to Tramore from Passage East. The ferry does avoid the hassle of getting through Waterford, and that Quay in New Ross! I bloody hate it, keep forgetting those silly little roundabouts:(. I wonder cost wise, is the ferry better vs travelling by road? From what I can remember the ferry is 8euro one way, not sure do they do a return ticket, though seem to remember they did years ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

73Cat wrote: »
    I would travel from Tramore to Ramsgrange/ Campile a few times a year, and tend to travel by road. The odd time, I'd come home on the ferry. It's no length back to Tramore from Passage East. The ferry does avoid the hassle of getting through Waterford, and that Quay in New Ross! I bloody hate it, keep forgetting those silly little roundabouts:(. I wonder cost wise, is the ferry better vs travelling by road? From what I can remember the ferry is 8euro one way, not sure do they do a return ticket, though seem to remember they did years ago....

Ferry is €12 return

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

according to AA route planner its €8.42 return from tramore to campile on fuel via the ferry and by new ross its €15.04. difference of €6.62 towards cost of ferry.

it also estimates round trip via road is 2hrs 12mins while the ferry route is 1hr 32mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

If you do it regularly you can get a multi trip ticket. 3.50 euro each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Don't forget to get Duty Free :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

daaave wrote: »
    according to AA route planner its €8.42 return from tramore to campile on fuel via the ferry and by new ross its €15.04. difference of €6.62 towards cost of ferry.

it also estimates round trip via road is 2hrs 12mins while the ferry route is 1hr 32mins

Hmmm, on a good day, you'd do Tramore to Campile in just under an hour. Perhaps they are allowing for getting stuck behind a tractor in the the Wexford countryside:D

We did Tramore/Taghmon yesterday 55 minutes going and 50 coming back. There was a short wait for the ferry going and no delay coming back. Driving more or less :-) within the speed limit - that was the best time we have done.

Advertisement