Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for front barbell squats

• 03-07-2013 9:28am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I posted this in the Health & Fitness forum but figured it's more suited here...
    I posted recently about my workout/diet and someone suggested compound weight exercises instead of isolation exercise - which I've been doing now for about the past month.

My question is - One of my exercises is a front barbell squat and I'm starting to lift more. The thing is, I workout at home. I have a gym membership but don't use it all the time as the free weight section is always stupidly busy with Maltese meat heads. It's not easy (actually, it's impossible) to get the weights into position without the help of one of my housemates. Does anyone have any alternatives to this exercise? On that particular day I work my quads and hamstrings with:

Barbell Squats - 15, 8, 8, 6
    Front barbell squats - 15, 8, 8, 6
    Sumo deadlift - 15, 8, 8, 6
    Stiff-legged deadlift - 15, 8, 8, 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I posted this in the Health & Fitness forum but figured it's more suited here...

split squats or hack squats maybe? How much weight do you own? Can you power clean?

although you could just go to the gym at a less busy time and work in with the meat heads!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Edwardius wrote: »
    split squats or hack squats maybe? How much weight do you own? Can you power clean?

although you could just go to the gym at a less busy time and work in with the meat heads!

Someone else mentioned split squats to me. Thinking this will be the replacement for home workouts. Own about 80kg. I can clean to my chest but not much. Anything over 40kg and I'd be looking to my housemate.

I kind of knew the answer would be to go to the gym at an off-peak time. Been trying to get up before work but am only managing cardio. Guess I'll switch out cardio for weights in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

That soumds like the beat solution, do your weights early and cardio at home/outside... I hate liftin early mornings tho when i havent had much food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Guess I'll switch out cardio

Good man :P

You could look into getting a pair of squat stands either, should be able to pick them up cheap secondhand. If you can get someone to weld you a set then it'd be better still.

You'll outgrow 80kg fairly quickly with squats, so you'll need to buy more weights if you're training at home.

Gym sounds like a better option long term I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Edwardius wrote: »
    Good man :P

You could look into getting a pair of squat stands either, should be able to pick them up cheap secondhand. If you can get someone to weld you a set then it'd be better still.

You'll outgrow 80kg fairly quickly with squats, so you'll need to buy more weights if you're training at home.

Gym sounds like a better option long term I think.

Thing is, I live in Malta and the supplies of things like a squat rack are very hard to come by. Have mentioned asking an ironmonger to make one up.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement