Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog friendly places in city and surrounding areas?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, I am visiting for a week in July, and was wondering if there are any parks etc that where its acceptable to walk dogs, or anywhere I need to avoid with them? We are staying in the St Marys road area.

Am I right in thinking the city beaches are off limits? Where is the nearest beach (also nice/safe for kids) that I could take the dogs to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Dogs are not allowed on the beaches while lifeguard is on duty which is normally 8am-8pm. You can walk your dog on the prom in Salthill or basically anywhere around the city once they are on a lead

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shell820810

fifib wrote: »
    Dogs are not allowed on the beaches while lifeguard is on duty which is normally 8am-8pm. You can walk your dog on the prom in Salthill or basically anywhere around the city once they are on a lead

Does this apply to beaches outside the city too? Basically we intend to take the kids to the beach, and want to be able to take the dogs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Environment/AnimalWelfareandControl/Dogs/
    Dogs on beaches: From August 1st 2008, dogs will not be permitted on Galway City beaches or their waters between the hours of 9 am and 8 pm during the months of May, June, July, August and September. Before 9 am and after 8 pm during May to September, dogs are permitted on the beach provided they are on a leash and are not causing danger or nuisance. This bye-law relates solely to the Galway City beaches of Salthill, Grattan, Ballyloughane and Silverstrand and to their waters; the Promenade is not affected by its introduction.

If you go outside the city to an "uncontrolled" beach you can bring the dog during the day, all locals do. Connemara has tons of beaches. Couple here:
    http://ohmydog.ie/daysout-galway1.html

From Galway City Council:
    Dogs on beaches: From August 1st 2008, dogs will not be permitted on Galway City beaches or their waters between the hours of 9 am and 8 pm during the months of May, June, July, August and September. Before 9 am and after 8 pm during May to September, dogs are permitted on the beach provided they are on a leash and are not causing danger or nuisance. This bye-law relates solely to the Galway City beaches of Salthill, Grattan, Ballyloughane and Silverstrand and to their waters; the Promenade is not affected by its introduction. A copy of the dogs bye-laws can be downloaded

Not too sure about beaches further out like Spiddal, Roundstone or Kinvarra direction

Thanks folks, its just knowing where to go....how far is Roundstone?

Yikes looks like its 1.5hrs away??

Anywhere 20-30 min drive?

• Advertisement

theres Tracht beach in Kinvarra which would be about 40mins drive

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.google.ie/search?q=connemara+beaches

Also go to Renville Park, there's a beach there too but you can just hang out on the grass.
    http://ohmydog.ie/daysout-galway7.html

biko wrote: »
    Also go to Renville Park, there's a beach there too but you can just hang out on the grass.
    http://ohmydog.ie/daysout-galway7.html

Oh yes! always forget about the beach there as our two dogs make a bee line for the big mucky pond far side of the woods there!
    this is a rocky/pebbly beach - dont think you'd get to make sandcastles! but you can go swimming there. there's a BBQ area in the park aswell and a really good playground for the kids but no dogs allowed in the playground

Some of the Connemara beaches look lovely, might be worth the drive one day. Would much prefer a sandy beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I believe the dog walkers in Renville park are in the habit of letting their dogs off the lead in the mornings so they can have a good run. I'm not saying it's legal but it seems to not be frowned upon. Merlin woods get very few walkers so if you let the dog off for a run it might be okay.

• Advertisement

Some of the Connemara beaches look lovely, might be worth the drive one day. Would much prefer a sandy beach.

Definately head for roundstone then. beautiful sandy beaches

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

If you drive out to spiddal, most of the little side roads after the village lead to beachs. They're usually quiet so you can enjoy with dogs and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

There's a nice little beach near Barna too, not a huge stretch of sand but plenty of space for the kids to play and the dog to have a run around and swim. It doesn't come under the galway city bylaws either and is only a 10-15 minute drive from where you're staying. PM for directions if you're interested. It's a lovely spot, even nicer when there's nobody else there!:D

magentas wrote: »
    There's a nice little beach near Barna too, not a huge stretch of sand but plenty of space for the kids to play and the dog to have a run around and swim. It doesn't come under the galway city bylaws either and is only a 10-15 minute drive from where you're staying. PM for directions if you're interested. It's a lovely spot, even nicer when there's nobody else there!:D
    sent u a pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

magentas wrote: »

I know the spot, lovely little place but it won't be empty if the suns out, Just be careful if letting dog free, most people won't mind, but you'll always get somebody complaining about not controlling your dog.
    Oh and judging by another thread - be sure not to forget some bags to cleanup after them. :p

I know the spot, lovely little place but it won't be empty if the suns out, Just be careful if letting dog free, most people won't mind, but you'll always get somebody complaining about not controlling your dog.
    Oh and judging by another thread - be sure not to forget some bags to cleanup after them. :p

Would you mind giving me directions? Just the day for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Could I have the directions too please!?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

The Galway Advertiser
    Despite dogs being banned from Galway's beaches, a ten-year-old girl is in hospital in the city at the moment after being bitten by a Doberman at Ballyloughane beach. Who brings a Doberman to a crowded beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

If you go to any city beach you will see plenty of dogs running around.
    Not a single person has been fined under the by-laws since they were introduced, they are completely ignored and unenforced.
    Perhaps it will change now that a girl has been hospitalised, I doubt it though.

was down in Ballyloughane at 9pm last night with my 2 dogs. Hubbie was in water with one (she is absolutely dying this week so a swim helps to cool her down each evening)and I was walking other along footpath (she was neutered on monday so cannot go in water with stitches). She was on a lead but whinging at her "sister" in the water cos she wanted to get down to her for a swim too but I had full control of her. Anyways this woman thought she was vicious and started giving me grief that I should have a muzzle on her and no dogs should be on beach with children around. I pointed out the sign thats says no dogs allowed between 8am and 8pm and told her I had dog on a lead so was doing nothing wrong and wasnt even on the beach. she started going on about the doberman who mauled the young girl day before and I said Id heard about it yes and that dobermans are restricted breeds so that dog should have had a muzzle on and been on a lead in a public area but I read in advertiser that the dog was in its car so probably didnt have muzzle on and my dog is not a restricted breed so I was not required to put a muzzle on her. My dog was no where near her, we were following the rules and still get grief! She threatened to call the gards on me and I said she could, I wish she had cos there was alot of drunk people down there at that time and the beach was full of beer cans, bottles, nappies, used disposable BBQ's etc.. it was distguisting. Ive been down there every night this week and the state the beach is left in is just horrible...rant over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

dloob wrote: »
    If you go to any city beach you will see plenty of dogs running around.
    Not a single person has been fined under the by-laws since they were introduced, they are completely ignored and unenforced.
    Perhaps it will change now that a girl has been hospitalised, I doubt it though.
    Unenforced I'll grant you but not completely ignored, I for one have always respected the rules with our dogs, they have never been on the beach in the restricted periods and we checked and double checked what was allowed where and stuck to it. I'll even grant widely ignored just not completely. Please don't completely discount the law abiding dog owners

Managed to find the wee beach and there were plenty of dogs on it. Had a lovely break, weather was wonderful.

would someone mind pm'ing directions to this beach...would love to go tomorrow if weather stays

Advertisement