Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletting in Dublin 2

Options
  • 03-07-2013 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here we go sure.

I'm currently looking to sublet my apartment, located on Tara Street across from the Irish Times building in Dublin 2, until July 26th. Reasons for subletting it are totally legitimate - I've already taken on a new lease and moved and I'm just looking to make some of my money back from the last months rent (which I've already paid)

Apartment is a one bed, with a nice big double bed, sitting room with couch, two tables and a chair, kitchen with oven, microwave, washer/dryer. There isn't any crockery/cutlery in the apartment unfortunately. Immersion shower and toilet.

Location is excellent for city centre access, literally a minute walk from Trinity College, Tara Street DART station or a myriad of bus routes.

There's a link to the apartment on DAFT if anyone wants me to share it with them

If anyone is interested or knows someone who might be, please PM. Apartment is available immediately.

Cost: months rent was 850. I'd be looking for around 600 for the three and half weeks or so that's left.

And if this isn't the right place for this, kindly point me in the right direction for where I should post it!

Thanks and regards!
    Lorcan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

1) you need permission to sublet

2) who the hell would be interested in moving in somewhere for 3 1/2 weeks (as I assume you gave notice to vacate this rental)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

OP. You need to think this through. Are you subletting or assigning the remainder of your lease?
    There is a huge difference. Will the person be entering into a 3 week contract with you?
    Or will the landlord be offering the person a standard lease.
    If the former then you have opened a can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

I am subletting, I have permission to. I've checked my own lease and confirmed it with my landlord. And you'd be surprised in terms of who'd be interested, I already had two sets of tenants interested but it didn't suit either in terms of location or cost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ok but you are aware of your obligation to register the tenancy with the PRTB and file tax returns based on your income?

Yes, I'm aware that there are legal responsibilities I need to fulfil should anyone take this. I also consider these to be preferable to leaving a property sit vacant when it cost me money in the first place. Even if I don't find anyone this suits, at least I'm attempting to gain some recompense - whatever the inconvenience may be. Renting two properties at once is very expensive and any way I can attempt to remedy this scenario, I shall endeavor to do so.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm aware that there are legal responsibilities

Fair enough. You seem to be going in with your eyes open. There have been threads on here of people who ended up as landlords even though they never realised it and then shocked at the expenses that had to incur and the legal responsibilities they had undertaken so best to warn people in advance. Best of luck with your rental.

I think the charter says it is ok to post a link

Cheers, as unlikely as it seems that it might work out, I'm just loath to let something sit uselessly without trying something. Good to see people looking out for each other :)

And I'm only wary of putting up a link because I already got flagged by a moderator for spamming since advertising something isn't allowed under Boards.ie guidelines (a part of the minutiae of the T&C which I'd never seen tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We are happy with people advertising their own (single, not multiple) properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I also consider these to be preferable to leaving a property sit vacant when it cost me money in the first place.
    Although I see your POV, leaving it empty will mean a hassle free changeover when the lease ends. If someone was there, and broke something, you may lose out more.

On a side note, have your landlord have a look at it, in case they want something cleaned, etc, to ensure you get your full deposit back.

Yeah I really am banking on getting that deposit back - no small amount of money to sniff at!

• Advertisement
Advertisement