Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking the i5 3570K and Sapphire HD 7870 XT Boost

Options
  • 03-07-2013 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Okay so I have the i5 3570K at stock clocks and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as its fan and the Cooltek Antiphon (with its 3 stock fans) as its case
    I also have the Sapphire HD 7870 XT Boost at stock clocks.

I was wondering if it'd be safe for me to overclock these (both the CPU and GPU are supposed to be very good for overclocking) but I don't know if the case and CPU fan would be good for overclocking? I wish to get the CPU to 4.5GHZ and the GPU from 975MHz to around 1100MHz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You will be fine and should be able to achieve those clocks or close to them. You could boost the case airflow by adding 2 more fans. How many fan connections are left on your mainboard?

Here's a guide for overclocking sandy/ivy processors on asrock boards. I wouldn't go over 1.35v though.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4/?cat=Download&os=Win764

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MyNameIsBoxxy

Sorry for the late reply damn eircom were supposed to come in and fix/free upgrade my broadband to eFibre a week ago and haven't came in yet..talking from a temporary O2 thingy.

Anyway I have no fan slots used on my motherboard because the three fans are powered by the case and controlled by a slider manually on the case. I have the CPU fan slot used up I guess, but that's it. How much would two more case fans cost? Also I have the Z77 Pro3 not the Z77 pro4 so it'd be a great help if you'd link me to the pro3's guide and tell me which file it is? thanks a lot

If I'm only getting 2 of them I can pay a lot more than £7.60 for them :P I could do around €15-20 (£12-17) so I can get free shipping too..

Thanks for the forum, I should be able to get 4.5GHZ and the GPU to these specs without reaching over ? degrees for the CPU?
    5158_01_sapphire_radeon_hd_7870_xt_tahiti_le_2gb_with_boost_overclocked_video_card_review_full.png

The CPU won't reach over 70* right ?

For normal use no. You might be around 75c. It depends on your voltages.

An extreme test like intelburntest would push it higher but games or programs wouldn't stress it to those levels.

Those fans are also good I forgot to mention. Not just cheap :)

• Advertisement

Alright cool, thanks.
    I'll wait for the fans to arrive to do the overclocking and then I'll spend around 10 hours making sure it's ok (not 10 straight hours)
    I'll buy one fan(The Antiphon only comes with 2 front fans and a rear fan. But it has an empty bottom fan slot.)
    Also what I mean by 10 hours is I should take around 2 hours to find a very stable combination right? And then I'll have to wait around 8 hours of Prime 95 to verify it's stability?

I'd prefer to get 1 good case fan for the rear and a really good 2nd Heatsink fan for the CPU. Would that be ok? Are the case fans good or should I replace them as well?

Which Antiphon is it? You should add 2 fans unless it's the white one. One bottom intake and 1 top-rear exhaust.

I usually only run it for about an hour and then just test it under normal conditions.

Cooltec Antiphon Black. Came with two front fans and one top rear fan. Also has an empty bottom fan slot. And ok thanks.

So which second CPU fan should I buy? I'm eager to order soon so I can OC soon.

I wouldn't bother with a second fan for the 212 evo. It has little to no effect on temps and can actually result in worse temps since it's so close to the rear exhaust. 2 case fans should be all you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

BloodBath wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with a second fan for the 212 evo. It has little to no effect on temps and can actually result in worse temps since it's so close to the rear exhaust. 2 case fans should be all you need.

This. Just make sure you have reasonable airflow in case. A side case fan helps a nice bit with graphics card. The Sapphire XT will easily get 1100mhz OC. Aim to keep it 75 degrees maximally (the Dualx cooler should be able to keep it a lot cooler than that, though).

For your 3570k, your Hyper 212 won't be able to cool 1.35v worth of temps under synthetic load (some stress test). It's
    No big deal, it's not dangerous, you'll see the temps go over 90 in Intel Burn Test or something your CPU will automatically slow itself down to mitigate the heat.

Hyper 212 is capable of cooling about 1.3v maximally. Set it to that, and hopefully you're stable at 4.5/4.6ghz at that voltage (it will be hot under a stress test though - up to 90 possibly in IBT). Then get lowest voltage possible at that speed and stick with that.

Games won't come close to the temps reached in stress test so don't worry about that.

Ok cool, I'll get the case fan so I have 4/4 fan slots being used and then I'll just overclock it to 4.5GHZ and I asked a youtuber who has the same GPU as me what he OCed it at and he said he got 1256 with a hyper 212 evo and a 80 euro case+5 case fans. Thanks! Now I know what to aim for! (4.5ghz and 1150-1200 for the GPU)

Okay last question before I buy, should I get 4 of these?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermalright-X-Silent-120-50000-hours/dp/B002U50YAY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1373164159&sr=8-6&keywords=120mm+fan
    or these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-AFACO-120P0-GBA01-F12-PWM-120mm/dp/B002QVLBM2/ref=pd_sim_computers_5 ?

I think the 3 fans on my Cooltek antiphon must be low quality because they're fairly louder than they should be and they are default fans.
    I want to replace the 3 and get a 4th to fill up the bottom slot. :)

(i want as much airflow as possible so I can get better temps with the 4.5GHZ and to have less noise and stress to the inside GPU and CPU fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Okay last question before I buy, should I get 4 of these?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermalright-X-Silent-120-50000-hours/dp/B002U50YAY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1373164159&sr=8-6&keywords=120mm+fan
    or these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-AFACO-120P0-GBA01-F12-PWM-120mm/dp/B002QVLBM2/ref=pd_sim_computers_5 ?

I think the 3 fans on my Cooltek antiphon must be low quality because they're fairly louder than they should be and they are default fans.
    I want to replace the 3 and get a 4th to fill up the bottom slot. :)

(i want as much airflow as possible so I can get better temps with the 4.5GHZ and to have less noise and stress to the inside GPU and CPU fan)
    I wouldn't worry about better temps with the CPU. As long as they are 85 or below in a stress test, you're golden. A game won't push them beyond 70 in that case. Which is grand.

But like which one of those 2 fan options would be quieter and better?
    didn't mean for this thread to be longer than it should be :p

Advertisement