Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrier Billing comes to PSN [SEN] in UK

Options
  • 03-07-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I like where this is headed.
    Sony has just announced that they’ve released a new feature on the PSN Store that allows users to top up their PSN wallet using their mobile phone. The deal, in collaboration with Boku, will apparently work with all major UK mobile network operators, and means you won’t need to feed your credit card details into the PlayStation Store.

You can top up your account this way through the SEN website and the PSN Store on the PS3. Just choose “mobile” as the payment option, enter your mobile phone number and then respond to the text message you get. The charge will appear on your next mobile phone bill.

Gordon Thornton, Vice President, Sony Network Entertainment Europe, said: “We are always looking at new ways to give our customers more choice in terms of content, accessibility and payment methods, and are pleased to be able to offer the option of mobile operator billing, which are becoming more and more popular.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Can you post up (some of) the article for those of us at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Sorry, there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can see this causing "My son spent €9,000 on the The Simpsons Tapped Out app and I want my money back!"-type problems if teenagers will suddenly be able to top up their PSN from their phone without the requirements to set up credit cards and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

3 have this on the Google Play store and it's pretty handy to use up credit from the €20 a month deal. I can see it causing problems for people with bill phones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

EGriff wrote: »
    3 have this on the Google Play store and it's pretty handy to use up credit from the €20 a month deal. I can see it causing problems for people with bill phones though.

Would you be able to tell me what the app is called, please? Looking for it now but can't find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Would you be able to tell me what the app is called, please? Looking for it now but can't find it

Its not an app, when you go to buy something on the Google play store you can click the little arrow beside the price and it gives you the option to bill your 3 account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

While it's nice to have more options in how to pay, I doubt I'd ever use this. Others might though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Kid: Mom/dad can I have 20 euro for a game please?
    Parents:No
    *pauses*
    kid: Can I have 20 euro phone credit please?
    parents: Of course darling!
    Kid 1
    Parents 0

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Don't know. Ain't that already popular with some games? World of tanks, lol, runescape?
    Its good idea, but like any good ideas, there will be idiots who will **** it up.

I am not sure if this is worth doing for UK. It's a western country where you can get bank account and visa easily. This payment method would be a lot more handier in eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If I have spare cash then I'll buy something there and then as I know I can afford it. But I dunno what unexpected bills are gonna pop up in a couple of weeks and seeing my phone bill come in the door with PS+ purchases added well then that wont be fun, especially if for example my motor needed fixing or whateveer.

On a personal note all my bills are due within 8 days of each other so I've things nicely planed out.

PS already have my card details so I wont be using this new system at all.

No doubt this type of payment could become very popular if large online retailers started using this system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

It would come in really handy if you see a skin or something less than a fiver or like if your a few cents short.

Advertisement