Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which gas/electricity company is the best?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have just moved into a house in Dublin. We are about to put the electricity and gas into our names, and I was wondering does anyone know who is the best company to go with? It sounds as if it is best that we put the two (gas and electricity) into one company but I am not sure? All the numbers etc is confusing me! Anyone got any experience as of late in regards to the best value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I would steer clear of Bord Gáis and Airtricity. I've had nothing but problems with them. Ever since I moved our gas and electricity to ESB, I've never had a bother and the bills have been reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Given that isn't a specific Consumer Issue, I am moving to Accomodation & Property.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JBratten

thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Not 100% sure who is best pricewise for you but I found Airtricity billing / customer service brutal, currently with electric ireland, at least they read the meters on a regular basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

These questions are like "how long is a piece of string?" questions. Everyone will have different experiences with different suppliers. FWIW I've been with Bord Gais for about 5 years and never had any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Airtricity are nothing but dreadful. My parents have several accounts with them and they estimated bills €300 one month and the next €1,700. They once estimated 5 days worth of electricity at €2,600. You can only pay bills on the phone during normal opening hours and the staff are horrible to deal with.

I would just go with electric Ireland. They are pleasant to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ESB are cheapest for electricity when paying through direct debit afaik and FloGas are cheap again when paying by direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jussayeh

try bonkers.ie - its an energy comparison site, excellent with up to date energy cost prices

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

jussayeh wrote: »
    try bonkers.ie - its an energy comparison site, excellent with up to date energy cost prices

http://www.bonkers.ie/ is great. I switched in may and at the time flogas was cheapest for gas and airtricity for electricty. I get ebilling from airtricity and they text me to submit metre reading. I have had no problems with them so far (touch wood). I have received 1 bill so far and submitted another metre reading last week. I was all set to move to bord gais as tesco give you club card points and vochurs but when comparing prices I found them more expensive at the time :)

Advertisement