Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about access

Options
  • 03-07-2013 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Have a bit of an issue with a new housemate, our landlords sister. She's moved in two weeks ago and is currently in a fit of renovating the house and moving everything about (which, while being annoying, isn't the real issue). The landlords parents have always had keys to the house - they've been in charge of repairs, etc, and have always been courteous and asked if they could come over.

We're now facing an issue of not knowing when they will be dropping in. They're coming in, unannounced, saying that they had let her know, but we hadn't been told, and its after happening twice in the one week. I understand that the lines get blurry when its family but we're just looking for information about where we stand.

Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The fact that you are now living with an immediate family member of the landlord changes things quite dramatically for you; it is my understanding that this now makes you a licensee and as such you have very little rights in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's not on for non residents to just show up like that with no notice. You agreed to live with X people, not X+2.

The landlord is responsible to you for their behaviour.
    djimi wrote: »
    The fact that you are now living with an immediate family member of the landlord changes things quite dramatically for you; it is my understanding that this now makes you a licensee and as such you have very little rights in the property.
    The landlord can't unilaterally change the arrangements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Victor wrote: »
    It's not on for non residents to just show up like that with no notice. You agreed to live with X people, not X+2.

True but if they are there with the permission of another resident then the issue is with the other resident rather than the landlord. They should not have their own keys though and should not be there unaccompanied by another resident. If they are there at the landlords bidding then he is in breach of his obligations.

You are right though OP, it is a mess when families are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

We're now facing an issue of not knowing when they will be dropping in. They're coming in, unannounced, saying that they had let her know, but we hadn't been told, and its after happening twice in the one week. I understand that the lines get blurry when its family but we're just looking for information about where we stand.

Well, if your housemate (the landlord's sister) IS getting notice and agreeing to their visits, I'm not sure what you can do about it as, technically, it's announced and with the permission of a tenant.

If it's only because there is some work going on, it'll probably be short-lived. But really this is more of an issue between you and your housemate than you and your landlord.

Tell her you want to know when she's told them it's OK for them to come over or to check with you before agreeing to it ... this is just common house-mate courtesy.

They themselves don't appear to be doing anything differently than before but I think djimi is right, your landlord's sister being your housemate changes the dynamics and there's nothing to stop them dropping in at her invitation as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Have a bit of an issue with a new housemate, our landlords sister. She's moved in two weeks ago ...

You probably need to explain this bit first before the rights and wrongs of the situation can be clarified. Under what circumstances and by whose leave did she move in? Before she did, what is the nature of your agrreement with the property owner - did you and the other tenants have a fixed term lease, a part 4 tenancy, a licencee arrangement, individually or co-signed, for the property as a whole or for individual bedrooms?

• Advertisement
Advertisement