Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering code needed to replace sensory batteries?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

An new to this forum and have some questions.

I had the house alarm upgraded yesterday. We previously had 5 PIRs and we've upgraded to a HKC hybrid alarm using existing PIRs and now inlcudes 2 wireless reed sensors and 18 wireless inertia sensors.

The guy installing it told me yesterday that I cant replace the sensor batteries myself as I will need the engineers code. I was shocked. He said the batteries will last approx 1 to 1.5 years and quoted me €200 :eek::eek:to replace all batteries once a year.

Is there any way I can replace them myself without the engineer code? Failing this if I find another company who will replace the batteries for a reasonable amount will they need the first companies engineer code?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Thats out of order. Pity you didn't pay him untill he gave you the engineer code. If you paid him by cheque you should cancel it until he gives you the code. Batteries should last about 2 years minimum and you ideally you should have access to log in order to see which battery is low as you have a lot of them. The batteries are about 3 euro each.
    It might be possible for someone to default the panel but you really shouldn't have to be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Busy2012

I was speaking to the company again today and they insisted the batteries were that expensive because they are lithium. At this rate it would be cheaper to rip out the alarm system and buy 4 rottweilers

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Deal extreme is your friend!

Example:
    http://dx.com/p/cr123a-lithium-battery-14

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

I have the HKC wireless system and the batteries have been fine for 2 and a half years . Could be 3 .
    They will last 3-4 years( possibly longer !) as the software has been upgraded recently on the sensors .
    The system will also tell you when a certain battery gets low .. To change it you will simply open the sensor ( no sirens will sound but the keypad will beep )and replace the battery.
    Telling you they need to be changed once a year is a lie . Even the old aritech sensors last 2-3 years

Thanks a million, you've put my mind at ease. Will try changing batteries myself when they go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Wireless battery's every year??:confused:
    Sounds like he's reselling them.
    Get someone else out to look after this for you, there is way too many lies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

I normally only work with the powermax systems, but you can change the battery's in the sensors without the installer code, it might dial out for a tamper, but surely the alarm won't go off?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Busy2012 wrote: »
    I was speaking to the company again today and they insisted the batteries were that expensive because they are lithium. At this rate it would be cheaper to rip out the alarm system and buy 4 rottweilers

If you don't have access to the engineer code, just remember the system will indicate the low battery once then go into the logs. The installer was totally out of order telling you this.

I have the engineer code! Rang the company and argued about it for a long time. He wouldnt budge until I threatened to cancel the cheque

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you can't trust your security company who can you trust?
    Time to change if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Busy2012 wrote: »
    I have the engineer code! Rang the company and argued about it for a long time. He wouldnt budge until I threatened to cancel the cheque

Shocking stuff but as most company's use the same code for all there systems It is understandable.. Best to have the company set up a code on the day that you can have access to the system for such purposes.

Advertisement