Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scallops

Options
  • 03-07-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Had them for the first time in La Maison last night.

Three scallops for €13.. Madness! But they were damn tasty.

Where can I buy them in Dublin city centre and how much will I be paying for them?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not exactly they City Centre but Taste of the Sea in Glasnevin would have them, not sure how much they'd be though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Wrights of Marino ?

Beshoffs are worth a trip to out in Howth, some lovely King Scallops this time of year. You get quite a lot for 13 euro too. Nickys place the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

ror_74 wrote: »
    Wrights of Marino ?

Beshoffs are worth a trip to out in Howth, some lovely King Scallops this time of year. You get quite a lot for 13 euro too. Nickys place the same.

Ah you ruined it, it's Nicky's Plaice, "Plaice......."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Frozen scallops are an option too, although obviously not quite as nice as the fresh options. I picked up a large frozen bag in the Asian superstore on Abbey Street for €23, but it's lasted a long time. I just defrost them as I need them.

M&S is also an option for fresh scallops; they are often on sale in their seafood section.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭gavsmith

Meant to put this post in Food Forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Kish Fish in Smithfield. Not sure of the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

dudara wrote: »
    Frozen scallops are an option too, although obviously not quite as nice as the fresh options. I picked up a large frozen bag in the Asian superstore on Abbey Street for €23, but it's lasted a long time. I just defrost them as I need them.

M&S is also an option for fresh scallops; they are often on sale in their seafood section.

How do you defrost and cook frozen scallops?

I bought some frozen ones from the place in Glasnevin but they didn't turn out too nice. I defrosted them in the fridge overnight and fried them in butter on a hot pan. The texture was very chewy. My gut instinct is I didn't cook them enough as I was worried about overcooking them but I thought it might also have been because they were frozen as opposed to fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Ah you ruined it, it's Nicky's Plaice, "Plaice......."

Eh..Its owned by Nicky and its his place so..eh..not entirely ruined :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

gavsmith wrote: »
    Meant to put this post in Food Forum!

It is better suited to this forum as you a seeking information on sources/prices specifically in Dublin City.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If they were chewy they were overcooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I bought some frozen ones from the place in Glasnevin but they didn't turn out too nice. I defrosted them in the fridge overnight and fried them in butter on a hot pan. The texture was very chewy. My gut instinct is I didn't cook them enough as I was worried about overcooking them but I thought it might also have been because they were frozen as opposed to fresh.

Defrost in fridge is correct.

You overcooked them to hell if they were chewy. Scallops can be eaten raw, you want to put just enough colour on each side them in a hot pan to caramelise for flavour, don't touch them once they are in, except to turn them. Peek after 2 minutes, if they are a golden colour - flip them. Cook for one more minute.

Take them off whilst the sides are kinda transclucent, they will continue to cook as they rest. Rest them for a minute or so.

Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I lay them out on a plate, usually on the counter as they defrost reasonably quickly. They are usually frozen in an ice coat, so after they have softened slightly I place them under a running tap to defrost the ice coat. I sometimes slice them in half to help speed up the defrosting (depending on how I want to serve them).

Once you're happy that they're defrosted enough, dry them off well with some kitchen paper before cooking.

If you found the scallops were chewy after cooking, then you probably overcooked them. It really won't have anything to do with the fact that they were frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

There's a fishmonger outside the St. Andrew’s Resource Centre, which also houses an organic food market, on Pearse Street every Saturday.

I haven't been in a while so I'm not sure if the price has changed. The last time I got fresh scallops, they were €30 per kg.

Located here http://www.supernatural.ie/?page_id=55

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭gavsmith

AsianDub wrote: »
    There's a fishmonger outside the St. Andrew’s Resource Centre, which also houses an organic food market, on Pearse Street every Saturday.

I haven't been in a while so I'm not sure if the price has changed. The last time I got fresh scallops, they were €30 per kg.

Located here http://www.supernatural.ie/?page_id=55

Brilliant, will try there.
    I've heard great things about that organic market.
    Will 100% give them a go on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Marks and Spencer usually have scallops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

best value in taste of dublin was the seared kilmore scallops from brasserie le pont. 2 for 5 florins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

avoid frozen scallops imho. after defrosting they are just crap to cook. they tend to release water in the pan and as a result reduce the cooking temperature and hence dont brown nicely in the correct cooking time.

get fresh scallops from a fish monger. fry in oil and butter for no more than 2 minutes on a high heat each side and they are done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What should I be expecting to pay per kg for decent king scallops in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

36-44 euro unless they are on offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Always, and I mean always, dry your scallops before cooking, use a small amount of oil and a knob of butter in half way through cooking, cook about 1-2 mins a side on a hot pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hasn't the Dublin Food Co-Op (the organic food people who used be in St Andrews Resource Ctr) moved to Newmarket Square near St Patrick's Cathedral? I think they're there on Saturdays, but don't know if they do fresh seafood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

36-44 euro unless they are on offer...

Many thanks - special offer for €16.50 per kg in the new McLoughlin Seafood in Windy Arbour, just for today and tomorrow.

They look nice, though I haven't tasted them yet. That's tomorrow's dinner sorted.

https://twitter.com/McLoughlinSeafd

http://mcloughlinseafood.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Any recommendations on a good place to get some scallops dining out in Dublin? Not necessarily a sea food restaurant as there'll be various diet requirements at the table so anywhere with some decent veg selection too would be nice..

Advertisement