Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Leads

• 03-07-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everybody!

Does anyone know if its okay to leave my dogs unleaded in my estate? They are incredibly obedient and always respond when called. Citizens information just says that they should be kept under effective control; which they always are. Some people believe ( ie some auld biddies in the area!) that it is the law that they be on a lead at all times. Am I right in believing this is incorrect?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Do you mean when you are walking them through the estate? It's okay if you really and truly have them under control, that you can call them back instantly if another person or dog appears. If you can't, then no it's not okay. Just be wary of other walkers, people out and about. Nothing worse than an offlead dog running towards you and the owner can't call it back

Edited to add; If you mean off lead without you being there then no, that is definitely not ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I must be an oul biddy too because I hate loose dogs in my estate.

No matter how well trained they are, fouling everywhere, harassing other dog owners, being a nuisance to traffic.

So unless you plan on being out with your dog wandering around your estate, then be a responsible owner & keep him on a lead or else on your property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Hughsie88 wrote: »
    Hi everybody!

Does anyone know if its okay to leave my dogs unleaded in my estate? They are incredibly obedient and always respond when called. Citizens information just says that they should be kept under effective control; which they always are. Some people believe ( ie some auld biddies in the area!) that it is the law that they be on a lead at all times. Am I right in believing this is incorrect?

Its incorrect - they must be under control which does not mean they must be on a lead. You can't let them run about unsupervised though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I usually let my fella walk off lead coming into our estate from his walks. He's no trouble at all and will wait or come back instantly when I call him. So as far as I am concerned, the dog is under control, and there should be no issue from anyone.

Now - if only the neighbours would stop letting their bloody dogs out loose to chase cars, then I'd be laughing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have no intention of doing it, but how do you make you dog a street dog? Like I know if I left my fella out the front unsupervised for 1 minute he would probably be flattened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement