Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cymru Lions v Wallabies, 3rd Test Match Thread, Sat July 6, 1100am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

awec wrote: »
    The lions winning this series should never have been in question. If Gatland had got the best out of his squad then it would have been a whitewash.

Getting a win is great, and Gatland deserves credit for that, but it doesn't mean he is beyond criticism for the manner of victory in a tour that promised much more than it delivered.

If you refuse to see the point people are making then that's up to you. No point making little digs at people.

Look everyone is failing to touch on the truth, and the truth is he wanted to get his long sought after revenge on the IRFU for being sacked, and he got it today.

In his eyes he probaly seen it as a victory for Wales too. As if to say 'Wales are better than everyone else'.

But Gatland is an excellent coach, he's without doubt the best in world after today,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Conas wrote: »
    Look everyone is failing to touch on the truth, and the truth is he wanted to get his long sought after revenge on the IRFU for being sacked, and he got it today.

You can't honestly believe that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

In his eyes he probaly seen it as a victory for Wales too. As if to say 'Wales are better than everyone else'.

But Gatland is an excellent coach, he's without doubt the best in world after today,

To suggest the man would drop BOD for the deciding test in a Lions tour, to sully his name, all for the sake of a having a petty jab at the IRFU is just so wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJL1_I6uTqTjiiCY49gSEML4v-aZPomCXLAYWhByjA5dAoNb3_bA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

First part is correct, but he's not the best. He still made some howlers. Winning doesn't change that.

You can't honestly believe that?

Oh I can, and I do. It's very well known that Gatty was furious after being sacked. Read Eddie O Sullivan's: Never Die Wondering if you don't believe me.

Rumours are he even took to the drink pretty bad after it.

Look at what Roy Keane done to Haaland all those years later. Gatland's wound with the IRFU went very deep, and it was BOD who paid the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Stuart Lancaster can make a better claim as the best coach in world rugby than Gatland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oh I can, and I do. It's very well known that Gatty was furious after being sacked. Read Eddie O Sullivan's: Never Die Wondering if you don't believe me.

Rumours are he even took to the drink pretty bad after it.

Look at what Roy Keane done to Haaland all those years later. Gatland's wound with the IRFU went very deep, and it was BOD who paid the price.

You'd have to be seriously bitter to hold this kind of grudge for over ten years. Nobody died.

Stuart Lancaster can make a better claim as the best coach in world rugby than Gatland

That's a shocking statement. Lancaster is a newbie, who will probaly achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Gatland should never have been sacked by the IRFU in 2001. If only he had beaten Scotland things would have been so different. We let go one of the best coaches in our history, and then look at what he went on to achieve.

IRFU must be run by people who haven't a clue about rugby. Givenddie a contract extension in 2007 was another howler. Then Deccie was gone past his sell by date in 2012.

I hope Schmidt hires Eddie as his backs coach for Ireland though. We haven't had good back play since the 2007 Six Nations. They'll stick it to the Gatty haters out there. Eddie can take down Gatty he's done it before.

What would be the point when we have Schmidt whose backs coaching is just as good.

• Advertisement

You'd have to be seriously bitter to hold this kind of grudge for over ten years. Nobody died.

Roy Keane held a grudge for 4 years, and he ended Haalands career.

As I said, if a wound goes deep enough it may never heal.

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    What would be the point when we have Schmidt whose backs coaching is just as good.

There's a difference in International Rugby and club rugby. Eddie O Sullivan's formula is tried and tested on the International scene. As of yet Schmidt's is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm very happy for Bowe, O'Brien, Murray and Sexton. Not forgetting the others (Heaslip, O'Connell, O'Driscoll etc), but particularly those 4 guys. They still have long futures ahead of them, Bowe maybe less so, and to have won a Lions series but more importantly to have played a part in the deciding game, will have given them huge confidence.
    Some people will say that it's a pointless tradition, and that this tour was poor, and I've been guilty of that (I say guilty, I still think it was a poor tour), but there's no doubting how important it is to the players. They'll cite it as the greatest achievement in their careers and they'll be reminded about how they were part of one of the 5 winning Lions teams.

If I were to narrow it down even further, I would say that I'm most happy for Murray. He has had such a good tour and has played so positively, I'm genuinely exited to see him play under Schmidt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Roy Keane is Roy Keane though! :D

Roy Keane is Roy Keane though! :D

and Warren Gatland is Warren Gatland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Great performance. Everybody played a part. Gatland totally vindicated. Conor Murray upped the ante when he came on.

I reckon had Roberts been fit all along BOD wouldn't have seen any test action.

Great performance. Everybody played a part. Gatland totally vindicated. Conor Murray upped the ante when he came on.

I reckon had Roberts been fit all along BOD wouldn't have seen any test action.

This word vindicated is being used by everyone. It's been used on every forum, and it annoys me a lot. Gatland picked the right team, and the tactics were right. This vindicated word is like something you'd hear the priest saying at Sunday Mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No he didn't. One of the most incorrectly reported things in sport. His retirement was nothing to do with the tackle.

Buer wrote: »
    No he didn't. One of the most incorrectly reported things in sport. His retirement was nothing to do with the tackle.

From Wikipedia:

After the tackle, Håland finished the match and played the next game, coming off in the 68th minute. He also played in a friendly for Norway in between the two games, coming off at half-time. Haaland retired in July 2003 after failing to recover full fitness from a long-standing injury to his left knee, which he stated was aggravated by the foul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Err, Haaland doesn't agree.
    'The knee still hurts, that isn't going to go away. I have to accept that. Did that tackle end my career? Well, I never played a full game again, did I? It seems like a great coincidence, don't you think?'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1050727/That-Keane-tackle-haunts-Haaland-horror-injury-2001.html

No it didn't. His career was ended by a debilitating injury to his other knee. His comment above was completely dodging the fact.

No it didn't. His career was ended by a debilitating injury to his other knee. His comment above was completely dodging the fact.

Me and DantheFan are right. We have sources you have none. You lose just accept it. :pac:

Me and DantheFan are right. We have sources you have none. You lose just accept it. :pac:

Ignore simple facts. Well done, petal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

From your source.
    Haaland's retirement was confirmed in 2003 and even though it was his left knee that would not respond to surgery and treatment he has always believed Keane's tackle on his right was the root cause

He could think it was Aliens that did for all it mattered.

• Advertisement

Off topic, but incorrect as usual.
    Haaland's other knee ended his career, nothing to do with his Keane related injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Oops, sorry. didn't even know I had access to the soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

you are having a laugh right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

noffles banned

wtf is this soccer talk here for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Fair play to both of them, tough week for them both.

gat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Didn't get to see the game but I'll be ready to watch it later tonight.

The missus gave me a wink earlier and said she fancies an early night. She's lucky....I'll probably not get to bed for ages on account of the game...

twinytwo wrote: »
    you are having a laugh right....

Why can't you accept that Gatland has had an excellent record since being sacked from Ireland? His record with Wales has been excellent. He could and probaly should have taken them to a World Cup Final, had Warburton not got send off, and Stephen Jones not wet his knickers.

So yes he's up there with the best at the moment.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Didn't get to see the game but I'll be ready to watch it later tonight.

The missus gave me a wink earlier and said she fancies an early night. She's lucky....I'll probably not get to bed for ages on account of the game...

It's that kinda talk that got me into trouble on a few rugby forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Saying Gatland is the best coach out there sounds absurd, but among international head coaches no one is more accomplished, in fact there are an awful lot of woeful ones. In terms of active coaches, I think Jake White is the most accomplished one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

Leaving BOD out of the team would have been one thing but leaving him completely out of the squad makes Gatland look like a very petty, bitter little man still throwing his rattle out of the pram a decade later. I actually feel sorry for him that he's been carrying this blackness around inside him for this long. Get over it.

Rezident wrote: »
    Leaving BOD out of the team would have been one thing but leaving him completely out of the squad makes Gatland look like a very petty, bitter little man still throwing his rattle out of the pram a decade later. I actually feel sorry for him that he's been carrying this blackness around inside him for this long. Get over it.

Thank you.

Everyone thought I was crazy for suggesting it. But the truth will always come to surface sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Rezident wrote: »

looks that way only to some, a case could equally be made that it was only sentiment that had him selecting BOD in the first place.

Any animus WG has/had against Ireland has long been worked out of his system by restricting our golden generation to one grand slam and cleaning up himself with Wales.

We won , no one else cares at this stage

marienbad wrote: »
    looks that way only to some, a case could equally be made that it was only sentiment that had him selecting BOD in the first place.

Any animus WG has/had against Ireland has long been worked out of his system by restricting our golden generation to one grand slam and cleaning up himself with Wales.

We won , no one else cares at this stage

This kinda of talk is very stupid. The fact of the matter is Gatty was gone in 2001.

The only restricting was done by the players themselves. They were too hot and cold, up and down, and couldn't close out games. They should have knocked strips out of the English in the 2003 grand slam decider, but showed them too much respect, and were focused too much on where they were standing on the fecking carpet. I knew the game was over after that, and we were thrashed, and what did Eddie say in the dinner to Clive afterwards "I'm glad that it was you we lost to". I hope you choked on his roast spuds.

Then in 2004, we threw it away against France in the first match.

2006 an horrendous first half against France cost us.

2007 we couldn't claim the ball from a French restart in the dying minutes. Clerc cut inside Neil Best and John Hayes, and scored a try he should never have scored. When Best got done for drink driving in 2009 I said to myself "Karma is a bitch"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Great pic ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

any comment from George Hook yet?

• Advertisement

welkin wrote: »

Check his twitter he's getting some abuse.

Check his twitter he's getting some abuse.

In fairness to the guy, he's retweeting loads of the abuse. Doesn't take himself too seriously, a lot of the newsprint journos could do the same

Lelantos wrote: »
    In fairness to the guy, he's retweeting loads of the abuse. Doesn't take himself too seriously, a lot of the newsprint journos could do the same

I find it strange he's retweeting the abuse alright. He's after taking some swipes at Gatland too I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

What and absolute cracker. At 50 minutes (or whenever Aus got within 3) it got pretty quiet in the local, despite the total dominance in the scrum (Corbisero, manic), despite the lineout working, despite the lions playing this game called rugby, Australia were rocking back up.

Then all hell broke loose, like a bleeding dam under bouncing bombs.

Absolutely deserved by the players and staff, heroic effort on and off the pitch the past week despite the maelstrom.

Not picking BOD for today was, is and will be forever a a ludicrous descision. Gatland, having selected under par, over-drilled squads and benches for two tense, attritional, just-don't-fing-lose rugby matches completely changed the team dynamic. they onlt asked him to blow the bloody doors off!

In self inflicted adversity they becames a team, THE team, LEGION. LEGENDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

welkin wrote: »
    He tweeted the headlines for Thornley and Williams articles where they both suggested that Australia had the momentum and we're the favourites.... Almost as if to say "look at these guys getting it totally wrong"

Very bad form in my book

niallon wrote: »
    He tweeted the headlines for Thornley and Williams articles where they both suggested that Australia had the momentum and we're the favourites.... Almost as if to say "look at these guys getting it totally wrong"

Very bad form in my book

In fairness to Hook, who I do really love to hate, he was making a valid point (for once!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

niallon wrote: »

Very bad form in my book

Wasn't he just saying he wasn't the only one who got it wrong ? He generally talks shíte but he wasnt alone in his opinion of Gatland, the tour or the likely outcome of the game today. So I dont know why he's getting so much abuse.

Wasn't he just saying he wasn't the only one who got it wrong ? He generally talks shíte but he wasnt alone in his opinion of Gatland, the tour or the likely outcome of the game today. So I dont know why he's getting so much abuse.

It's all / mainly , from Welsh fans, as he went a little viral as an Irish pundit saying the Welsh cant beat Australia.

<and shag shep, but he was misquoted on that>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Not entirely sure because he just tweeted the headlines and didn't comment himself. Came across bad either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

great win

Advertisement