Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a scam or oversight by Daft

Options
  • 03-07-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Firstly I know that Boards.ie are part of Daft media so I was hoping to get an answer here as I haven't got an answer from the support desk at daft and I refuse to pay €2.40 per minute to discuss the matter after already paying then hundreds of euro for a service already.

On the daft website to upgrade to a premium advert it costs €150 as in the picture below.

260985.jpg

Here is the cost on their website not upgrade but premium

260986.jpg

Where it says clearly 12 months for premium placement

Then 30 days later I get this email

Hi Dymo,

Your premium ad has expired after your allotted 30 days of priority
    placement. It has now been downgraded to a standard ad.

If you would like to pay for another 30 days of priority listing, click on
    the Upgrade to Premium Ad link in mydaft.

Regards,

The Daft Team

Possibly I'm reading this wrongly but I paid €150 and now they have they sent the ad back pages on the listings, My grip is, nowhere does it say the duration of the premium ad.

And are now looking for another €150 for another 30 days as their instructions in the email above "Upgrade to Premium Ad link in mydaft"

Yes I have emailed daft about this but unless your willing to pay €2.40 per minute, it could be a long process.And during which I will be loosing bookings.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

have you tried contacting daft and raising it as a bug to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

have you tried contacting daft and raising it as a bug to them?

Read the last (and the first) line again...
    Yes I have emailed daft about this
    Firstly I know that Boards.ie are part of Daft media so I was hoping to get an answer here as I haven't got an answer from the support desk at daft

Anyway.. OP for what it's worth I'd read that as you have in that it suggests a 12 month listing for €50/€150/€250 - not 30 days as per their email.

It does seem to be running on the same system as Adverts.ie though, so maybe worth trying their support section here

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'll flag this with the Daft team now - there is no point in contacting Adverts.ie about it, they have no insider Daft knowledge, any more than I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

I just had a try myself and if you scroll down to the bottom of the list of what's included in the ad (which isn't in your screencap) you'll see it says at the bottom of the Premium column:
    A Premium Ad has premium status for 30 days, then it becomes a Standard Ad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

LittleBook wrote: »
    I can't link the image right now but I just had a try myself and if you scroll down to the bottom of the list of what's included in the ad (which isn't in your screencap) you'll see it says at the bottom of the Premium column:

This. Its actually pretty clear on the page that this is the case; same for Premium ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

LittleBook wrote: »
    I can't link the image right now but I just had a try myself and if you scroll down to the bottom of the list of what's included in the ad (which isn't in your screencap) you'll see it says at the bottom of the Premium column:

That area is not available when you are upgrading the advert only when creating a new add you have a choice for €75 for 30 months priority

Click the drop down menu for 12 months and 1 year premium

EDIT: They have changed that since this post, I made sure of that, before I posted this thread, that was the main difference between the €75 ad and the €150 possibly from getting the information from my emails.
    This. Its actually pretty clear on the page that this is the case; same for Premium ads.

They won't be able to change the first screen shot where it doesn't say anything about time.

PROOF THEY CHANGED IT

Via Google Cache

NOTE: This is for the €90 day premium ad which clearly says you will have premium status for 90 days, for the €150 ad it clearly stated you have premium for 12 months

260998.jpg

So are they going to tell me I bought and paid for the 30 premium , 90 day premium or the €150 for 12 months premium, they accepted my money under those terms and I believe a contract was made under those terms.

How they quickly changed the notice now has me bordering on scam, and how many hundreds others will have been effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Email them over the screenshot and see what they say.

Did you get any kind of confirmation email that has any of this in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Dymo wrote: »
    PROOF THEY CHANGED IT

Yup!!! Google search for:

"A Premium Ad has premium status for 90 days, then it becomes a Standard Ad"

returns cached pages from Daft.ie @ 25/06/2013 with that exact phrase.

Hopefully Niamh can help you.

They have also changed the wording for the Featured ads too for the 90 day selection, waybackmachine has the page as well.

From
    A Featured Ad has featured status for 30 days, then it becomes a Premium Ad. After a further 60 days it becomes a Standard Ad.

To:
    A Featured Ad has featured status for 30 days, then it becomes a Standard Ad.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Why don't you actually contact them and get an definitive answer rather than trying to slag them on boards.

As I have already posted, I have emailed them numerous times but they won't reply, their phone line is €2.40 per minute, how long do you think it would take to explain this, 10 minutes, 20 minutes. I'm not slagging them off merely stating the facts and they seem to be changing things. I know what I signed up originally it was for €150 for a 12 month premium ad, now the same equivalent will cost €1,800.:mad:

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I've spoken to the Daft team and someone will be along shortly to post about it. Thanks guys :)

Just had another look at it, the terms at the bottom change depending on what ad type you choose, eg letting/sale/holiday etc. The greyed out text you have above is shown when you have no ad selected.
    Scam? No. Lack of clarity? Possibly. Oversight of OP? Definitely.

What your missing in those screen shots is the drop down menu for 12 months,(Its on there site now, go check it out before posting, its generally excepted you get increased benefit and incentive for a larger sale) when you chose 12 months, the terms changed also to 12 months premium.

I didn't expect for this transaction, to have to screen grab every part of it at the time, obviously I should of.

Anyway what my complaint is they never gave any indication of length of time in the "mydaft" section of DAFT.ie but when I checked it said 12 months premium so naturally that's what I thought.

And you took that screen grab when? After 12:35 today?

Will I go on?

Please do

The only sure-fire way to detect page changes is to download and checksum it. If the checksum changes, the page has been edited (with extremely high certainty).

Here's an example that works on the command line:
    curl -s boards.ie | md5 #=> You'll get a result Now run it again you'll get a different answer!

Now can you please stop trying to discredit every thing I say

• Company Representative Posts: 3 Verified rep Daft.ie Support

Hi Dymo,

Our current options for our short term adverts are outlined on our site here - http://www.daft.ie/ad-entry/shortterm . As you pointed out, the page before an advert type is selected - http://www.daft.ie/ad-entry/ - did show some greyed out text in the footer, which by default was showing information for Sale adverts. Once an advert type was selected, this information would update in a bolder colour (as highlighted by OSI in some of the screenshots). We can see how the default text could potentially cause confusion, so today our technical team have updated that. The informational text in the footer will now only show once the advert type is selected.

The Short Term advert has two options, 90 day advert, or 12 month advert and each has a choice of standard, premium or featured. The link I provided above (when you have selected the advert type) will outline the benefits and duration of each. When upgrading an existing advert, the site outlines the benefits of a premium or featured advert.

Finally, you mentioned that you had emailed us but not received a reply. I have gone through our support inbox and do not have any unresponded to emails around this issue. I hope my reply here has helped to clarify this for you, but if not, please feel free to email supportdesk@daft.ie directly and we can walk through any specifics on your account.

Regards,

Judy

Hi Dymo,

Our current options for our short term adverts are outlined on our site here - http://www.daft.ie/ad-entry/shortterm . As you pointed out, the page before an advert type is selected - http://www.daft.ie/ad-entry/ - did show some greyed out text in the footer, which by default was showing information for Sale adverts. Once an advert type was selected, this information would update in a bolder colour (as highlighted by OSI in some of the screenshots). We can see how the default text could potentially cause confusion, so today our technical team have updated that. The informational text in the footer will now only show once the advert type is selected.

The Short Term advert has two options, 90 day advert, or 12 month advert and each has a choice of standard, premium or featured. The link I provided above (when you have selected the advert type) will outline the benefits and duration of each. When upgrading an existing advert, the site outlines the benefits of a premium or featured advert.

Finally, you mentioned that you had emailed us but not received a reply. I have gone through our support inbox and do not have any unresponded to emails around this issue. I hope my reply here has helped to clarify this for you, but if not, please feel free to email supportdesk@daft.ie directly and we can walk through any specifics on your account.

Regards,

Judy

Thanks for the reply Judy, but I didn't require instructions to use the site,

The issue I have is I renewed my subscription for the year at €150 a month ago, at no stage was I informed that the premium ad was only for 30 days. And upon checking your website it clearly stated that if the 12 month option was selected the ad was premium for 12 months.

And after receiving then email from Daft I again checked your website and the same conditions applied. After I started this thread, it was then your website up dated with the newer options.

Do you realise that the cost of a premium advert on daft for a short term letting went from €150 per year to €1,800 per year today.

Regarding the emails, I sent one as a reply email to support supportdesk@daft.ie and the other was sent to directly to supportdesk@daft.ie from my email address.

I'm unsure how many other people this is going to effect but I'm sure plenty of people have signed up for featured and premium ads in the last month.

Can you pm me an email address that I know will get to a person who will address this.

Thanks again Judy

Mods can you please move this to consumer issues please I don't think it belongs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fig_roll

Jaypers, the last time I saw a hole this big, I was taking Mary Harney from behind. Keep digging OP, this is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dymo wrote: »
    Please do

The only sure-fire way to detect page changes is to download and checksum it. If the checksum changes, the page has been edited (with extremely high certainty).

Here's an example that works on the command line:
    curl -s boards.ie | md5 #=> You'll get a result Now run it again you'll get a different answer!

Now can you please stop trying to discredit every thing I say

Your belief that you understand what you're saying here horrifies me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fig_roll wrote: »
    Jaypers, the last time I saw a hole this big, I was taking Mary Harney from behind. Keep digging OP, this is hilarious.
    Keep it constructive, please.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 3 Verified rep Daft.ie Support

We responded to Dymo's issues yesterday via the emails sent to our support desk, before we had joined in this thread.
    If anyone has queries about their Daft account, please email us directly - supportdesk@daft.ie and we'll be happy to help.

regards,

Judy

Advertisement