Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hayfever

Options
  • 03-07-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

anyone find an unusually hard hitting dose of hayfever the last few days?

In the past ive gotten the injection, take antihistamines and tried local honey.. sometimes they work, other times not at all..
    The last few days have been pretty intense.. and its probably just a single type of pollen im allergic to.

Cant believe im allergic to trees having sex.

That is all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I feel your pain, have been particularly this last week. I find the Irish antihistamine, (Cetrine I think) made in Cork works pretty good. If I take it in the morning it will last til maybe 5 o'clock. I'll still feel weird and a little bunged up, but won't have unbelievably itchy eyes or too much of a runny nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

In the same boat. I've had the injection this year, bowls of Clarityn at this stage and a month's prescription of Telfast. Whereas I'm not as bad as I was it's still there and feckin' headwrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Its gotten to the point where I hope trees suffer when I have sex!
    yeah im taking cetrine, my nose is still bunged up and eyes puffy but not itchy which is at least something..
    I find that my energy levels are low as well when i have hayfever, i guess its because my body is fighting something that it feels is a threat day and night!

apart from any antihistimines does anyone know of anything else that might be worth a try?
    I was told by the doctor after 3 years of the injection that i cant have it again because it damages minerals in your bones?!!? If i had of know this to begin with i wouldnt have taken it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I'd suggest Telfast, it seems to be the most effective thing for me so far.

You should also try the Vicks nasal spray for Hayfever, I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be good.

EDIT: Telfast is prescription only by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I don't think its ever been as bad as it is this year, feel like I'm waking up with a hangover most mornings. Most years I've just had the runny nose, sneezing and itchy eyes but this year I'm getting pounding headaches, sore throat and that itchy sensation at the top of your mouth, just horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

0rt wrote: »
    anyone find an unusually hard hitting dose of hayfever the last few days?

In the past ive gotten the injection, take antihistamines and tried local honey.. sometimes they work, other times not at all..
    The last few days have been pretty intense.. and its probably just a single type of pollen im allergic to.

Cant believe im allergic to trees having sex.

That is all.

try mixing it up....i have been chopping and changing the last couple of years, one year a few years ago I could have been taking about 3 tabs a day on high pollen days, not great when they are €10 for 10. Last couple years i have been using the nasal sprays and in general they are working ok. No harm to have a tab or 2 on stand by to pop if you are cutting the grass or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Dr. Baltar wrote: »

You should also try the Vicks nasal spray for Hayfever, I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be good.

I use the Vicks nasal spray when the Cetrine tab wears off. It's great, but my father was told by his GP not to use it too much as they are not good for you on a regular basis long-term, so I only use it when I really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am being damned by it this year, but it seems to be something focused in the house as I am mostly affected at home. I was camping out in the middle of a woodland area over the weekend and was fine. I have been using the saline nasal spray as I can't take antihistamines because of other medication, it helps a bit but its very bad this year.

i was in camping in wicklow friday night.. i was perfect..
    Was camping beside a pitch and putt course on saturday and sunday in mayo and was in bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Just remember to dust and hoover your room regularly, and change your bed sheets regularly too.
    Also, dont open your windows in the morning or evening, and never leave your windows open when you sleep.
    Blow your nose regularly, its the pollen in your nose that affects your eyes believe it or not.
    Dont drive with the car windows down in grassy/countryside areas if possible.

Try to wear a facemask when cutting the grass. And if you spend the day in a grassy/pollen ridden place, wash or change your clothes when you come home and give you hands and face a good wash. The pollen will be all over you and your clothes so it will continue to irritate you.

Talking to your GP helps. A lot of the time the over the counter meds arent the best. Also, they usually dont give that injection more than a 3-4 times in your life. Its very bad for you, so save it for a year when you really need it.

But all this being said, it will still get to you no matter how much you try unfortunately, the above tips just help a lot. I also hear getting a humidifier for your room is a good thing to do too, but I've never tried it.
    0rt wrote: »
    i was in camping in wicklow friday night.. i was perfect..
    Was camping beside a pitch and putt course on saturday and sunday in mayo and was in bits.

There's different types of hayfever if I remember correctly. So, not all plants will set you off. For some its grass, other flowers, or tree's, or crops etc. So much so that some people can't even eat certain foods because it affects them. But I think grass is the most common one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Its strange how different things set off different people.

I'm originally from the east of England and I am terrible whenever I go back to visit, but rarely have a problem here (take a handful of antihistamines through t the year, would take everyday from Feb - oct/nov in England).

My husband on the other hand is in a terrible state at the moment - but rarely has problems in the UK. Thank god I stocked up on cheap generic supermarket antihistamines last time I was over in the UK - would be costing a small fortune here otherwise!

Hope those with bad symptoms find something to ease their suffering. (personally I cough and get sore throats when I'm bad - nothing worse than a pulled stomach muscle from repeated coughing bouts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Have it really bad this season, apparently it's one of the worst on record. Was waking up in the night with streaming eyes and nose until chemist told me to try a combination of citrine tablets, opticrom anti allergy eye drops and flixonase nasal spray. Have not suffered symptoms in over a week now. All available in chemist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I tried an acupressure band and that has helped considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Whiteflag12

Whats an acupressure band?

I am eating Clarityn like they're smarties and still no relief.... (slight exaggeration but you know what I mean!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 meganmaher21

I suffer very bad with it especially so this year however i find a combination of singulair, neoclariton, opticrom eyedrops and avamys nasal spray ease symptoms. For the last few years my doctor has given me steroids which work but I'm trying to avoid them this year for the obvious unwanted side effects! I find if you get a fit of sneezing drinking a glass of water helps, also vaseline on your nostrils and big sunglasses!! It really does take over your life when you suffer bad from hayfever! I am going to try a healer on Wednesday so I will let you know how i get on!

http://www.positivehealth.com/article/case-studies/case-study-reishi-mushroom-as-a-hayfever-remedy

this looks interesting.. expensive but im gunna give it a go.
    you can get plugs that are inoculated with the mycelium, drill holes in a log, put them in and after a year or so you will have your own mushrooms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eisjUKSsJUE

http://everythingmushrooms.com/grow-your-own-mushrooms/mushroom-spawn/mushroom-plug-spawn/reishi-ling-chi-mushroom-plug-spawn-ganoderma-lucidum-500-pack/

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Dr. Baltar wrote: »

Irish Telfast on prescription is 180mg, you can purchase 120mg boxes over the counter in Spain which are just as effective.
    You need to take the prescriptions one regularly to build it up in your system. One won't cure you.

Compare to normal Cetrine or Clarityn which are only 10mg tabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

I don't suffer from it but I was told by a friend when I lived in uk that contact 400 was the best for it,not sure if sold here

Advertisement