Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ICT Skill Course To Choose?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Im trying to decide on what ICT Skill course to choose, I have a level 8 degree in a science subject but there wasn't much maths involved in that course and maths is my weakest subject anyway. I have an interest in building websites and have a wordpress website at the minute but I know to really do anything special and to be employable you need to know how to write code. So my question is really, do I just bite the bullet and go for a course that is heavily involved in programming and maths like computer science in DIT or do I go for something a bit easier like creative multimedia in Limerick IT? Are you only employable with a computer science degree? Please help, deadlines are looming!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

So my question is really, do I just bite the bullet and go for a course that is heavily involved in programming and maths like computer science in DIT or do I go for something a bit easier like creative multimedia in Limerick IT?
    That really depends on what it is you want to do? IT is a very broad area and the course you choose should reflect where you see yourself working in the industry.

But if you're apprehensive about your ability to learn coding, why not just give it a go? There's a wealth of educational resources available online these days - dive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

I am interested in building websites but I know you are limited in what you can do if you can't write code. I am not interested in building game engines or anything like that. I have some basic HTML knowledge but thats about it, but your right I wont know until I give it a try, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

I can definitely answer this question because my honours degree was in Multimedia (B.Sc. DCU) and I am now completing a masters in computer science (conversion course, UCD).

You do need the Computer Science. Not many people who did my honours degree got jobs. But basically everyone who did my Computer Science course last year is now employed. Bite the bullet and go for it! I was like you before I started the Computer Science, I had made a few wordpress websites and knew i had an interest in Computer Science but was still wary. Now I'm so happy I made this choice, I love what I do, I also had an interview last week and the said that when I'm finished my course in six months I was to get back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

Cool thanks Ninjabox, yeah I think I am going to go for the computer science course, work hard and hopefully I will be able for it! Thanks for the advice. Congrats on the job interview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

Thanks best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement