Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking dog in a car

• 03-07-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, did a quick search but didn't find what I was looking for so hope some of you can help. I am just wondering about the logistics of taking a dog in the car and what you guys do with yours?
    I'm adopting a 12month old lab this weekend and just wondering how to take him home. I have a Golf hatchback. Is there a way I can belt him in or anything as he's going to be very excited about coming home with us no doubt and I don't want any accidents obviously. Not very experienced in this sort of thing so any info would be a great help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Cars can be very stressful for dog. As a lab and no longer a puppy he should be ok and not be car sick so I would suggest a stuffed frozen kong to keep him occupied while you are driving.

You can pick up a car harness in any pet store - just make sure it is the right size for the dog otherwise it will be very uncomfortable with him.

In case of 'accidents' I would put down some waterproof sheeting that either be easily wiped or thrown out.

As he is being 'taken away' by you be may be a bit nervous so if someone could sit in the back with him.

Depending on how long the journey is you want want to stop for a break and give him some water or let him go to the toilet.

A walk before the car journey will tire him out so I would suggest that. We walk our guy for about 45 minutes and he then sleeps in the car which is much less hassle!

Enjoy your new furry friend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Just be aware that if he hasn't much experience travelling in a car there is a chance he will be sick. If he does, make sure not to get too upset with him as the poor lad will be stressed and confused.

I would nearly expect there to be an accident with the stress of it all, you should kind of accept this and prepare your car for it. Stay calm if it does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

How are you planning to transport him in future?

You can either use a seat belt harness or else take your boot cover off and use a dog guard to block the space from the boot into the back seat.

Eitherway, I'd take him for a good walk before you set off so he's nice and tired and empty before you leave :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Oh the memories...

When we picked up Hugo, my OH sat in the back with him for the 2 hour trip. Alright, we hadn't a harness or anything at the time and it was a touch dangerous... So, a walk beforehand, a toilet stop if its a long trip and IF it were possible - have someone sit with him and keep him calm and petted in the back. Worked for us...

hugolap.jpg

2 years later, I've changed the car so that Hugo can pretty much go everywhere with us. An old BMW touring with a pop up divider in the boot. He never gets car sick, pure luck I'd say. But that aside, don't feed before a car trip and try and make sure both types of toilet breaks are taken before ye set off (now and in the future).

I'm not sure how a golf is laid out (I have an estate) but make sure there's plenty of air when driving (windows down a touch) or if alone in the car for short periods. We use a ventlock on the boot door to keep it open a few inches, yet securely locked.

As Hugo wears a harness being walked, etc..., we now clip this to one of the clips in the boot (think they're called luggage hooks) via a short bungee. As one poster pointed out, he may be secure in the boot BUT if it popped open during a crash, he'd be running into a road full of traffic.

So, that's all I can think of for now! Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Best of luck to you and your new dog. Post a picture soon!
    My dogs LOVE the car, the younger one less so but gets a bit travel sick only very rarely now. I would put an old sheet or towel on the back seat, and if possible, have someone sit for the journey with him.
    As the others have said, a walk before the journey and you should be fine.
    If there is an accident, hey, its only sick! Bring a bottle of water, and some paper towels, and a couple plastic bags just in case. How long is the journey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

New Pet! How superexciting and fabulous!!!

Car cleaning e60; & upwards. Po on seat/ in booth/ wee in carpet/chewed up bits.

I'd borrow a crate ( cage) for the trip.

Or buy one and train him/her to travel in it - I'm guessing this will be the first of many happy trips!

Or you could try someone on the back seat & a big lined box with blanket - you can get heavy duty booth protectors in BnQ for three or four euro.

Where are you going to/from?

If you're Dublin you could borrow mine for the occasion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Hooked, your boy is gorgeous!!!! Class photo.

Thanks very much for the info guys, much appreciated. I have a couple of old Penneys throws that I can use for him, so I'll lay down a bin bag or something and a throw over it and sit beside him for the trip.
    Luckily I'm only going from Tallaght to Maynooth so I'm safe enough for the first time, I would like to take him home to my family's farm in the future though.
    I'll have a look in Maxi Zoo for this seat belt harness thing, it sounds very handy. About bringing water - I don't know if you guys have seen them before but saw on the Maxi Zoo site, water bottles that have a drinking bowl type thing attached that you can lay out for doggie to drink from and then fold it back up into the bottle, will be getting one of those anyhow.
    Will post in the pet pics thread when I get him home tomorrow night :)

The Cool wrote: »
    Hooked, your boy is gorgeous!!!! Class photo.

Thanks very much for the info guys, much appreciated. I have a couple of old Penneys throws that I can use for him, so I'll lay down a bin bag or something and a throw over it and sit beside him for the trip.
    Luckily I'm only going from Tallaght to Maynooth so I'm safe enough for the first time, I would like to take him home to my family's farm in the future though.
    I'll have a look in Maxi Zoo for this seat belt harness thing, it sounds very handy. About bringing water - I don't know if you guys have seen them before but saw on the Maxi Zoo site, water bottles that have a drinking bowl type thing attached that you can lay out for doggie to drink from and then fold it back up into the bottle, will be getting one of those anyhow.
    Will post in the pet pics thread when I get him home tomorrow night :)

Thanks!

FYI - Water bottle with tray... 2 euro shop!!!

And Hugo is a little less gorgeous and a little more 'humongous' 2 years on.

LOWhugosept2012.jpg

Still fits in the boot of the car thankfully!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Hooked wrote: »
    And Hugo is a little less gorgeous and a little more 'humongous' 2 years on.

LOWhugosept2012.jpg
    I hope you have that pic framed somewher ein the house, brill shot! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hooked wrote: »

Still fits in the boot of the car thankfully!!!

*snort*
    I read the above as "She fits in the boot of the car thankfully", and I thought to myself... Does Hooked really make his OH (I assume that's her?!) travel in the boot so Hugo can have the whole car?
    Lol :-)

• Advertisement

KT10 wrote: »
    I hope you have that pic framed somewher ein the house, brill shot! :)

Thanks KT... Sure do! The non-pixelated, (internet shy) version. My OH is staring directly at the lens. It a lovely photo. I may have 'enhanced' it a tad in photoshop.

I'm a designer in a printing company. Needless to say, there's a LOT of large format stuff framed for 'ahem' free around the house.

DBB wrote: »
    *snort*
    I read the above as "She fits in the boot of the car thankfully", and I thought to myself... Does Hooked really make his OH (I assume that's her?!) travel in the boot so Hugo can have the whole car?
    Lol :-)

Ha ha DBB!!! She (my OH) is usually allowed in the passenger seat. If she's good. Though there are days when I let Hugo sit behind me (not in the boot) and stick his head out the window.

Problem is, as soon as herself sees the hair in the backseat... I usually get a grilling. I often wonder if I'd be as well off to admit to having an affair with a granny (with all the white hair) than admit to letting Hugo have his fun.

Advertisement