Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a license on my fathers shotgun

Options
  • 03-07-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Do I need to do a training coarse for a first time license if its my fathers shotgun I want to get licensed on?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you cannot show adequate, previous experience with firearm handling/safety then yes it's usually required.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Barrett12 wrote: »
    Do I need to do a training coarse for a first time license if its my fathers shotgun I want to get licensed on?

If its Your first time application Yes you do, its a requurement on the application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yeah, have to do it for your first licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Barrett12

Blay wrote: »
    Yeah, have to do it for your first licence.

Do you know anywhere in mayo you can do it?

Nothing specifically.

Most gun clubs, ranges, even shops run some sort of course. The NARGC also run courses around the country at specific times. You can check their website for the details of when and where they take place.

Make sure you use a reputable place. Some lad that thinks he is good with guns is not my idea of a course, but as they are basically unregulated it's hard to say what is good and bad.

My two options would be the NARGC and/or a registered range. As they recognition, licenses, etc they would be better suited than a lad doing it as a side gig. There are a few ranges around Mayo/Galway area that could be contacted. No matter where it will involve some degree of travel to get to.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 woodcock89

There is a place in bonniconlon and outdoor ranger in tuam does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

What age are you? If you are under 17 you can apply for a training licence. AFAIK you dont need to do a compentancy course when applying for one.

Under 16. Not 17.

At 16 or above you can legally apply for a full license. Between 14-16 (not actually being 16) a training license. The training license applies to everyone of every age, but is more closely associated to under 16s.

I'm 17 so the guards can't tell me come back when I'm older

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I'm 17 so the guards can't tell me come back when I'm older

They might but legally No they can't . You can apply for a full license at your age as the other poster stated provided you can show good cause to have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Whether or not you need to do a training course to get the licence, it's a very good idea to do a training/safety course either ways.

I'm thinking of doing it anyway but don't know any place near me

• Registered Users Posts: 49 woodcock89

What part of Mayo are you in. In my last post I named to places where they are run. If you give me a rough idea where you are I'll find out for you pm me or just say north south east or west.

The north of mayo

Advertisement