Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CUMH antenatal classes full until December - Other options

Options
  • 03-07-2013 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Just rang to try to get into the antenatal classes and they are full until December!

That means that no one due between now and January can book a place is that right?

We will have to go elsewhere now (and pay for it privately no doubt :mad:), but we really wanted to get a feel for how cumh allows you to labour and how receptive to (practical) birth plans they are.

Our last baby was stillborn so we have lots of questions about how things will be different, and we also want to see the dvd tour of the ward. I can't believe these courses are so oversubscribed - surely it is in the hospital's best interest to have mothers as prepared for birth as possible?

Anyone got any advice for where else we should go....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Just rang to try to get into the antenatal classes and they are full until December!

That means that no one due between now and January can book a place is that right?

We will have to go elsewhere now (and pay for it privately no doubt :mad:), but we really wanted to get a feel for how cumh allows you to labour and how receptive to (practical) birth plans they are.

Our last baby was stillborn so we have lots of questions about how things will be different, and we also want to see the dvd tour of the ward. I can't believe these courses are so oversubscribed - surely it is in the hospital's best interest to have mothers as prepared for birth as possible?

Anyone got any advice for where else we should go....?

Hi sorry what hospital is this with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hi sorry what hospital is this with?

Guessing Cork Maternity hospital judging from the title. That's CUMH. Crazy that its booked out already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Sorry I thought you were talking about the Coombe. I think I would go back to them and beg them for a place. There are always cancellations too. When I went to the Coombe antenatal classes, there were always people who were there one night and then missed another so they always had space. I'd explain your situation, tell them you're very anxious and you just can't afford the private classes route. They have to come up with some kind of solution for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Roesy wrote: »
    Guessing Cork Maternity hospital judging from the title. That's CUMH. Crazy that its booked out already.

Hi, yes that's right.

I knew they got booked up fairly quickly but that seems insane... I wonder how many they can cater for... I heard somewhere that the hospital itself was built to cater for 7,000 births per year but now it's up around 9,000...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hi, yes that's right.

I knew they got booked up fairly quickly but that seems insane... I wonder how many they can cater for... I heard somewhere that the hospital itself was built to cater for 7,000 births per year but now it's up around 9,000...

I'm in Cork too. We have a private one day antenatal class booked for the end of August. It just suited our schedule better though part of me wanted to do the one in CUMH. If you google labour of love antenatal class Cork you should find it. Not sure if it'll be any use to you. Friend of mine did it a couple of years ago and said it was good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

*dumb question* is cumh the only maternity in cork?
    If yes... I'd guess most of the private antenatal course givers might be able to answer questions about the policies.
    You can also ask at your antenatal appointments... A list of questions is handy.
    As far as I know, Cuidiu do antenatal classes and they're meant to be excellent.
    If you received a pack from cumh there might be a list of course providers in there too.
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

TBH, I think if you're a reasonably well informed person and have read and understood something like Peter Boylan's pregnancy book, you won't be missing much if you can't get a place. The two sessions in CUMH were really quite basic when I did them. I actually told hubby not to bother going to the second one. It was also very experiential - breaking up into small groups to talk about how we feel about something; I'd have preferred the facts in a short presentation and leave an hour earlier, but that's just me! They also have a breastfeeding class and I found that much better, so maybe the nurse giving the class is also a factor.

Given your history, you might actually find a private class more helpful. I found the group was so large that only a small number of individual questions were possible. This was fine for me, but perhaps not for those looking to have a lot of issues clarified.

All that said, I was very happy with my care for both babies when it came to labour and delivery. While the classes may not be great IMO, they do take very good care of you when it comes to the big day.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Just thought I'd update with the good news that we are booked on a one day course with Life Pregnancy Services in Cork on the 10th. They are running a few one days ones from here on in I think because there is such demand for them.

The great news is the course is only €40 for the 2 of us and they were fantastic about fitting us in when my husband was home from work in the uk.

I went to them a couple of times when I was a single parent having my daughter 15 years ago and I remember them as being very helpful and supportive so I'm delighted they are still on the go.

Advertisement