If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speakers systems for Onkyo TXNR515 Av Receiver

Options
  • 03-07-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I was recommended the Onkyo TXNR515 Av Receiver and I want to know what speakers would best suit this receiver. I was recommended the Jamo 6.1 Speaker pack - with Tower Speakers, but they are not available in richer sounds and are a little pricey in Ireland.

Can you recommend a full tower speaker pack with subwoofer and book shelf speakers to go with the Onkyo? Preferably on the cheaper side but not sacrificing quality too much.

Is there a better cobination you would recommend at below €1000?

Thanks,
    Tommy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tommyobrien19

By the way, the speakers are for a 14x20 ft room in a terraced house so maybe the system is overkill. What is you best recommendation for these dimensions if the Onkyo is too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Tommy.

Cheers for the post and there are lots of options you can go for.

Tall speakers are a nice way to go and in a room that size, you could quite easily cope with them although I would not recommend them for both front and surround speakers.

The system that I would recommend for you would be the Monitor Audio BX 5.1 system.

This consists of : 

Monitor Audio BX5 (front)
    Monitor Audio BXC (centre)
    Monitor Audio BXFX (rears) or BX1 if you didn't want to wall mount the rears.
    Monitor Audio BXW10 (sub)

This system comes in at £1240.

If you substituted the subwoofer with the MRW10 then we can do this system including delivery for 1159 Euro including delivery (normally £1149 !). This is a very well made and great sounding system and I would have to say that I believe it would well outperform the Jamo.

If this is over budget and you want to take a step down, then take a look at the Monitor Audio Mass package as more of a satellite package but one that produces a sound that has lots of impact without having the large boxes. This packs serious punch and all the reviews reckon it sounds a lot larger than it actually is...I would agree. Best 5.1 package under £1000 in What Hifi awards 2012.

This is sold as a 5.1 package but you can add to make it 7.1 to match the 515 if you wish.

It's priced at 979 Euro including delivery.

Let me know what you make of these two systems.

ATB

Dave

Hi Tommy.

Cheers for the post and there are lots of options you can go for.

Tall speakers are a nice way to go and in a room that size, you could quite easily cope with them although I would not recommend them for both front and surround speakers.

The system that I would recommend for you would be the Monitor Audio BX 5.1 system.

This consists of : 

Monitor Audio BX5 (front)
    Monitor Audio BXC (centre)
    Monitor Audio BXFX (rears) or BX1 if you didn't want to wall mount the rears.
    Monitor Audio BXW10 (sub)

This system comes in at £1240.

If you substituted the subwoofer with the MRW10 then we can do this system including delivery for 1159 Euro including delivery (normally £1149 !). This is a very well made and great sounding system and I would have to say that I believe it would well outperform the Jamo.

If this is over budget and you want to take a step down, then take a look at the Monitor Audio Mass package as more of a satellite package but one that produces a sound that has lots of impact without having the large boxes. This packs serious punch and all the reviews reckon it sounds a lot larger than it actually is...I would agree. Best 5.1 package under £1000 in What Hifi awards 2012.

This is sold as a 5.1 package but you can add to make it 7.1 to match the 515 if you wish.

It's priced at 979 Euro including delivery.

Let me know what you make of these two systems.

ATB

Dave
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information. It is most helpful as I do not have much experience with any of these. My total budget, including the amp is €1000.

With this in mind would I be better served to get the 414 amp (or similar alternative) and speakers to suit. I like the look of the floor standing but I am willing to sacrifice aesthetics for something like the Monitor Audio Mass package, which gets excellent reviews. Am I merely sacrificing the option to connect 7.1 by getting the Onkyo 414 or is there a major difference in quality also?

Thanks,
    Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Tommy, cheers for the reply.
    Apart from the extra connections etc, there is a performance difference with the 515 over the 414 and with this quality of speaker package, I would go for the better receiver.

The 414 would be capable enough of driving the Mass package, but what I would do would be : 

Mass 5.0 package 
    Monitor Audio MRW10 subwoofer
    Onkyo TXNR515 
    Delivery 

Total - 976 Euro.

This will affect the performance of the mass package as a whole as the subwoofer in the mass is a bit of a monster, but the 515 is worth the extra over the 414 and the MRW is a great subwoofer for the money.

Let me know what you make of this.

ATB

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for the advice. I have PM'd you for a follow up.

Regards,
    Tommy.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.