Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing airsoft guns from U.S.A aloud?

• 03-07-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hello I just wanted to ask if the gun is 328 fps or under can I bring it with me from America to Ireland in a parcel if I buy it myself over there?

Best Regards Mantas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

mantas191 wrote: »
    Hello I just wanted to ask if the gun is 328 fps or under can I bring it with me from America to Ireland in a parcel if I buy it myself over there?

Best Regards Mantas.

Bring? As in onto a plane wrapped in a parcel? No.

It would need to be stowed securely (all airlines have criteria on what constitutes secure storage for firearms or thereabouts) in the hold, and you would incur additional charges to have it checked in. It may still get seized upon landing in Ireland and sent for testing anyway.

On top of that, be aware that all RIFs must have the top 1/8th of the barrel coloured red by federal law, and some gun brands will have had their trademarks defaced to stop them falling foul of US law.

Your other option is to have it posted back.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mantas191

Lemming wrote: »
    Bring? As in onto a plane wrapped in a parcel? No.

It would need to be stowed securely (all airlines have criteria on what constitutes secure storage for firearms or thereabouts) in the hold, and you would incur additional charges to have it checked in. It may still get seized upon landing in Ireland and sent for testing anyway.

On top of that, be aware that all RIFs must have the top 1/8th of the barrel coloured red by federal law, and some gun brands will have had their trademarks defaced to stop them falling foul of US law.

Your other option is to have it posted back.

So by plane is a no go ? What do you mean by posted back?

So by plane is a no go ? What do you mean by posted back?

By plane is possible, but you need to remember that you are checking in what looks like a firearm; some common sense needs applied. You can't just walk into the airport without squaring it all away in advance.

You need to check the airline's T&C for what sort of requirements they have around the transport of firearms/paintball markers/airsoft RIFs/etc to ensure you can meet them. Then you need to notify the airline & pay the additional baggage charge that will be incurred.

On top of that, having some sort of documented evidence as to why you have the gun in question help; e.g. IAA membership, site membership, etc. something that shows you are an airsofter.

And the big elephant in the room is how US borders & customs will act. I don't know.

In short; do your homework first. You really, really, really need to know what is what because chances are the airport staff wont and may default to "It's shaped like a gun, therefore bad so I say no" to cover their arses.

As for posted back, I'm sorry but I'm really not sure how much clearer I can make it. You buy airsoft gun. It gets posted back home for you. No airport stuff required.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mantas191

Well that is what I meant, I don't want to order myself because the shipping is crazy and also there is tax costs aswell . And all I wanted to know was it legal or not. Thanks by the way :)

Well that is what I meant, I don't want to order myself because the shipping is crazy and also there is tax costs aswell . And all I wanted to know was it legal or not. Thanks by the way :)

You won't save much, if any money. You'll probably end up further out of pocket between additional baggage charges, buying a secure container that meets airline requirements, and likely getting stopped by customs on the way back...

• Advertisement
Advertisement