Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving an apartment before the lease ends

Options
  • 03-07-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I have a contract with one of the apartments in cork street for one year,,
    I have only lived there for almost 3 months,,I don't really like the area.. It is a bit rough :( and i get scared quickly ..If i gave the letting agency one month notice..will they give me my deposit back..
    And could you please suggest some good areas in Dublin2 to live.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hi
    I have a contract with one of the apartments in cork street for one year,,
    I have only lived there for almost 3 months,,I don't really like the area.. It is a bit rough :( and i get scared quickly ..If i gave the letting agency one month notice..will they give me my deposit back..
    And could you please suggest some good areas in Dublin2 to live.

Thanks

Unlikely to get deposit back to be honest. Realistically they could pursue you for the remaining rent due in the lease if you moved out early. I would sugest talking to the letting agency and advise them of your concerns and see if they would make an exception for you in this case.

This should stress to people the importance of researching an area where they intend to move into and not just the apartment itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

From the Dublin City forum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Nope. I very much doubt it. And you'll be responsible for finding someone to replace you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You may, you may not. Depends on whether they find another tenant and how your lease is written. Read your lease, call your agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Look to reassign the remainder of the lease (you do the legwork in finding the tenant, you bear all the cost, you are responsible for any shortfall in rent for the remainder of the lease; have a search of this forum as the process has been outlined in detail many times). A landlord/agency must accept your request to reassign; if they refuse then you can terminate the lease and get your deposit back. Make sure you keep all correspondence in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

djimi wrote: »
    Look to reassign the remainder of the lease (you do the legwork in finding the tenant, you bear all the cost, you are responsible for any shortfall in rent for the remainder of the lease; have a search of this forum as the process has been outlined in detail many times). A landlord/agency must accept your request to reassign; if they refuse then you can terminate the lease and get your deposit back. Make sure you keep all correspondence in writing.

Just to explain this a little more;

They can't refuse your request to re-assign BUT they can refuse to accept the person you want to take over from you. If they had a set of criteria in the original ad the new tenant must meet the same criteria again.

After that I'm not sure who they can or can't refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Advertisement