Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is UCD like?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I'm going into sixth year this year so I'm trying to decide where to go to college. I would like to study zoology and I'm thinking of going to UCD to study it. I've never been to UCD so I'm just wondering what it is like. I went to the open day and summer experience at NUI Maynooth and I really liked that college but unfortunately there is no zoology course there. I loved NUIM and I really liked how friendly it was. Just wondering if UCD is like this and if it is very big, if the lecturers are good and just anything about the college.
    Thank you!
    Amy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

For me, pick the college and the course in tandem. Don't pick a course based on the aesthetics, friends going etc of a college. In this day and age, your probably going to go on to further study anyway so you want a good course in a nice place to start with. I know plenty of people in UCD and Trinity Engineering. Some love Trinity, other wish they were in UCD. And vice-versa.

I've never had a problem with UCD. Its big but chances are you'll be in a small enough course with a core group of people. And those people are what make or break your college experience in my opinion. UCD isn't too big in my opinion as 90% of your time will be spent with the same core group just in different buildings. So its not a problem as some people make out. The 'size' of UCD because a problem when you have 2000 people in an Art's class. You'll find it harder to make friends or at least that's the feedback I received.

In conclusion, of all the people I know, I'd say less than 5% would regret their decision to go to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ladypage

ironclaw wrote: »
    For me, pick the college and the course in tandem. Don't pick a course based on the aesthetics, friends going etc of a college. In this day and age, your probably going to go on to further study anyway so you want a good course in a nice place to start with. I know plenty of people in UCD and Trinity Engineering. Some love Trinity, other wish they were in UCD. And vice-versa.

I've never had a problem with UCD. Its big but chances are you'll be in a small enough course with a core group of people. And those people are what make or break your college experience in my opinion. UCD isn't too big in my opinion as 90% of your time will be spent with the same core group just in different buildings. So its not a problem as some people make out. The 'size' of UCD because a problem when you have 2000 people in an Art's class. You'll find it harder to make friends or at least that's the feedback I received.

In conclusion, of all the people I know, I'd say less than 5% would regret their decision to go to UCD.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a great college. I doubt there would be many people in my course because I'm hoping to study zoology there and I don't know anyone else who even wants to do this course. I'm probably going to join lots of the clubs and societies as well so even if there are a lot of people in my course I will hopefully still make a few friends in them. Are there a lot of clubs and societies? It sounds like a great college anyway so I think that's where I'll go. Thank you for your help. :)

Advertisement