Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SteamGifts Boards.ie private group (Discussion Only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If you meet the qualifications and are allowed to be added to the group, then that should be the end of it as far as restrictions go.

It's your stuff to give away so you should be allowed set whatever timeframe or contribution requirement you want, if you want. You're meeting SteamGifts requirements as it is.

The only restrictions the thread should have are the restrictions on joining.

A certain amount of posts to show you are actually a member of the community etc.

In my opinion the only thing that should be up for discussion here is agreeing on entry requirements for the thread/group.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This study seems odd well timed and appropriate:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/07/why-good-deeds-dont-go-unpunished/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

While the discussion about bundles is relevant and important. I do think it must be pointed out that Valve bundles tend to be the exception to the rule. If you already own Half-Life 2 and get Half Life Complete Pack then you'll also be given an extra copy of HL2 to gift to a friend. Valve are nice like that.

This is the case for purchases anyway, so I assume it applies to SGs giveaways too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Oh i guess thats why steamgifts warn people about entering gifts for bundles that they already have a few of the games in. As if you win, you essentially get the games you dont have, and then extra copies to gift trade for whatever also. So its a double win! :P

Oh i guess thats why steamgifts warn people about entering gifts for bundles that they already have a few of the games in. As if you win, you essentially get the games you dont have, and then extra copies to gift trade for whatever also. So its a double win! :P

Only applies to Valve published stuff afaik. Other Publishers e.g EA, Activision don't agree on giving the extra copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They're not nice enough!
    It only applies to certain games in the Valve bundles.
    How do I receive extra copies to share with friends?
    Extra copies will only be issued as a special promotion in the following specific cases:
    • Users who own "Left 4 Dead" and then go on to purchase "Left 4 Dead + Left 4 Dead 2 Bundle" will receive an extra copy of "Left 4 Dead"
    • Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack" will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.
    • Users who own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”, “Valve Complete Pack” or “The Orange Box” will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2: Episode One”.
    • Users who own "Dawn of War II"and then go on to purchase "Dawn of War II Gold Edition" will receive an extra copy of "Dawn of War II"
    • Users who purchase the available four packs for specific Steam titles will receive three extra copies of that title to gift to friends.
    • Extra copies may apply as a part of some limited time promotions. In that case, information on what will be included with your purchase will be listed on the storefront's transaction page.

These special promotions will allow you to send a gift pass for your extra copy to a friend who does not already own the game.

These promotion do not apply to any games other than those specifically listed.

Limitations

“Half-Life 2” and “Half-Life 2: Episode One” are only eligible to receive extra copies once.

For example, if you own “Half-Life 2” and/or ”Half-Life 2: Episode One” and receive extra copies for your purchase of “The Orange Box”, you will not receive additional extra copies if you then go on to purchase the “Valve Complete Pack”.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

If you own most of the games in the Valve complete pack, you won't get additional copies for the bulk of games!

Monotype wrote: »
    They're not nice enough!
    It only applies to certain games in the Valve bundles.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

If you own most of the games in the Valve complete pack, you won't get additional copies for the bulk of games!

Curses you! I was just about to post that and correct myself. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I do think that it's a little unfair for some of them such as buying a L4D pack will get you a spare L4D1 if you already have L4D1.
    But buying the pack when you already have L4D2, will not give you an extra copy of L4D2.

I quite like the way gog.com do it. If there's a bundle on, say the standard discount might be 50% off on all the games individually, but there might be an 80% discount for the bundle. However, if you own any of the games in there already, you'll still get 80% off all the games you don't have if you buy them together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Anyone know if there is something up with the group? It keeps telling me I'm not a member and I can't enter anything but I have been for ages.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

GarIT wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is something up with the group? It keeps telling me I'm not a member and I can't enter anything but I have been for ages.

You still show as a member to me. Unless you mean on the SG site, if so you'll need to resync the account on there manually.

Spear wrote: »
    You still show as a member to me. Unless you mean on the SG site, if so you'll need to resync the account on there manually.

I'm sure you've heard of that thing where the computer problem always fixes itself as soon as you want to show someone. Well since Friday it's been telling me I'm not a member while Steam says I am a member and just now I refreshed the page to see about synching again (I did it yesterday and the day before) and it works as normal. I didn't even need to synch it. The site didn't load a few times on Friday so I assumed it was the same problem until now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

A give-away especially for the people who want to discuss the give-away thread?
    You sir are pure class :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

:o oh! didn't know this thread existed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

Suspended for next two weeks from steamgifts - laptop motherboard burned out before I got around to adding a couple of games to my library. Looks like I won't get to play them for a bit either way now until I get it fixed or buy a pc :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hold on what?
    I have a bunch of keys but haven't had a chance to activate them 'cause I'm busy with my new baby. They suspend you for not activating prizes?

(although in fairness, I shouldn't be entering the giveaways if I can't play them. Damn these greedy genes!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

It's a way of ensuring you're not just taking the codes you won and either re-gifting them or selling them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

pawrick wrote: »
    Suspended for next two weeks from steamgifts - laptop motherboard burned out before I got around to adding a couple of games to my library. Looks like I won't get to play them for a bit either way now until I get it fixed or buy a pc :(

Did you win a public giveaway? Just wanted to ask, as you can only be done for not activating a game if you are explicitly reported for it (or at least that should be the only way you can get done for it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

one on boards and one public, both won the same day I think, laptop is out of action about two weeks and ban happened yesterday after i logged in on my phone so that may have triggered it or maybe what ever deadline the have kicked in. Anyhow will sort it self out in 10 days (ban is 5 days per game). Borrowed a laptop to add them to my library now so no biggie, just thought I'd point it out to people here.

I got a 5 day ban yesterday for not activating a game I received as a gift but emailed them after I activated it and it got sorted pretty quickly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Can someone add me to the BoardsSG group in steam please, my steam ID is jonny24ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Can you someone add me please. Steam id is calhob_uk.

Thanks

Use this thread to get invites:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950905

this one is discussion only, and if we start entertaining the requests in here, they'll never end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Arghhhhh this new SteamGifts Steam Activation thingy is so stupid.
    I want to get the Mortal Kombat arcade collection, but have all the other games, and I think it is a waste to buy the bundle, to get one game, to have to discard the rest of them. Why did they do this? Was it the publishers? Or some other motivation? I am less likely to buy any bundles now, seeing as I wont be able to give away the games I don't want/already have

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Arghhhhh this new SteamGifts Steam Activation thingy is so stupid.
    I want to get the Mortal Kombat arcade collection, but have all the other games, and I think it is a waste to buy the bundle, to get one game, to have to discard the rest of them. Why did they do this? Was it the publishers? Or some other motivation? I am less likely to buy any bundles now, seeing as I wont be able to give away the games I don't want/already have

You can choose not to redeem and gift the rest of them , I got them as separate Steam Keys in the WB Games Bundle.

How you receive the keys differs for every bundle.

You can choose not to redeem and gift the rest of them , I got them as separate Steam Keys in the WB Games Bundle.

How you receive the keys differs for every bundle.

Explain that one to me again!!!

How do I gift the unused Steam Keys. I don't see any option for that anywhere, obviously I missed it

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Explain that one to me again!!!

How do I gift the unused Steam Keys. I don't see any option for that anywhere, obviously I missed it

Once you have your Steam account linked, and before you click the Steam button to redeem the item, you can gift it if you already have it.

See the present/gift looking icon next to the Arkham Origins DLC? Click that to gift the item to someone.

4PwHUY.jpg

Once you have your Steam account linked, and before you click the Steam button to redeem the item, you can gift it if you already have it.

See the present/gift looking icon next to the Arkham Origins DLC? Click that to gift the item to someone.

4PwHUY.jpg

Sweeeeet
    Thanks Mitch, never noticed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Is it just me.. or is SteamGifts slow as hell these days ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Korvanica wrote: »
    Is it just me.. or is SteamGifts slow as hell these days ?

Awful slow at times yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I have Batman Origins DLC I got from a Huimble bundle that I will never use. I was thinking of posting it up as a steam gift, but there doesn't seems to be a 'DLC' option. The closest I can find is for the 'season pass'. Is this the same thing? I am pretty sure I need to make sure the item discription matches the item available.

if its for the group im sure you can choose the closest thing and tell everyone in your post ..

Steamgifts hands out bans if you say you received a key but didn't activate it, so be careful.

Views on botting? (Autojoin)

I do it, but only for games on my wishlist, and also have it set to "Ignore Group Giveaways for Autojoin". I thinks its unfair to have it on for group stuff.

And its blindingly obvious who has it on for the group giveaways.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Korvanica wrote: »
    Views on botting? (Autojoin)

I do it, but only for games on my wishlist, and also have it set to "Ignore Group Giveaways for Autojoin". I thinks its unfair to have it on for group stuff.

And its blindingly obvious who has it on for the group giveaways.

I'd be very careful using that. The autojoin scripts really aren't liked over there. If you're caught using it you will get banned. Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle of getting banned. The Enhanced SteamGifts script is essential though. The phone app is very useful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Howdy guys and gals.

I won't be able to join the group for another few weeks yet, but I wanted to ask if any of ye use the SteamGifts Tools site when creating your giveaways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've used it a few times for games I've bought specifically to give away, as opposed to bundle leftovers. That's for general giveaways, though, the only restriction I've used in the Boardsie group so far is by level.

So you'd just use a level to make sure everyone who has entered has given away at least something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Yep, I never give anything away to less than Level 1 (because I honestly believe anyone can give away at least one bundle game) and if it cost me more money I'll usually put it to Level 2.

Of course, people are free to set whatever level they want (or not). There's no obligation in the group to go with any level in particular.

The SGTools is a bit more nuanced: you can set won:sent ratios if you want (for example, if you only want people who have given away more than they've won to be eligible), or exclude people who've ever broken the rules by not redeeming games they've won, or winning the same game twice. Again, all optional.

• Advertisement

Thanks Vojera. Yeah, I've used SGTools myself over on SteamGifts alright; the winners of my first few giveaways had won games multiple times (only discovered in hindsight). I'm sure the chances of that are pretty small with small group giveaways though. And I don't want to limit the giveaways too much as you don't get the CV for a giveaway if you've less than 5 entrants. :pac:

Anyway, thanks again. I've about ten Humble games to give away, so I'll hang onto them until I can join the group in a few weeks.

Anyway, thanks again. I've about ten Humble games to give away, so I'll hang onto them until I can join the group in a few weeks.

You closed your old account?

Darch is an old user on a new account, and in good standing, so he's been added to the Steam Group, since there's nothing to be gained by enforcing the account age limit in such a scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Skerries wrote: »
    ok as usual because my accounts were compromised I will be sending the winners of these games 4 other keys to other games so you get at least a few working

good luck!

signature.png

signature.png
    tonkpills wrote: »
    Over 2 months unclaimed gift from last giveaway is back up.

signature.png
    Caught rapid :(

l9IOiAR.png

the amount you can give away goes up as your level goes up

Kiith wrote: »
    Apparently you can only have 5 giveaways up at a time, so this might take a while. First batch of games here. Been meaning to put them up for a while.

Strictly speaking, this thread is meant for discussions of the group, and the giveaways should go in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950905&page=272

you may want to also post them on there to ensure they're seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Oops, didn't realise i'd posted it here. Moved across there now. Cheers.

I've bought way too much stuff this month, so I'm giving away some more Humble Monthly goodies.

Be warned; I'll be throwing the name of each winner through SteamGifts Tools, so if you win, please have your Steam profile set to public. All giveaways are for HB links, level 2, and will be opened until this day week (14th). Cheers!

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of throwing each name through SteamGifts Tools???

It just checks that the winner has activated any previously won games, and that they haven't won the game before.

It just checks that the winner has activated any previously won games, and that they haven't won the game before.

Cool, thanks for that info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jesus my wife must never see this :D

http://www.sgtools.info/sent/kdjac

Why do you care? :confused: Maybe they want it for a mate ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement