Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the motor tax office issue tax discs then and there?

• 03-07-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,

Does the motor tax office issue tax discs then and there?

Also another quick question might be stupid, I just bought a used car privately, and I was able to retrieve the pin online to pay for the tax online but then I thought I won't get the disc for a while. I still haven't received the logbook back from Clare but the car has changed according to the "VEHICLE STATUS ENQUIRY SEARCH" but I can pay online without the logbook.

If I became the owner on the 02/07/2013, and I tax the car tomorrow would the tax not last till July 2014? It says online when I was about to pay for it that it would last till June 2014? Feel stupid asking but I thought the tax is from when I got the car, the tax did expire at the end of June this year i.e. a few days ago but that was for the previous owner.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

you can get the disc there and then, could involve some waiting around though.

As far as Im aware you pay the tax from the month you got it, so you would be paying from July 13 onwards once the change in ownership has been processed

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

The car has switched I checked using this that's how I knew I could retrieve the pin using my own details. But it says "12 Months to 30/06/2014" when I go to pay for the tax online. Which I thought it should be the end of July because I only became the owner at the start of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

if everything is in order you get d disc there and then,if u tax it this month you will get 12 months tax,july 2013 - june 2014 is 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I still can't understand why they don't simply add this to the list of things you can do at a post office as in the UK. Ireland is much more sparsely populated and it would give more support to the post office network. Over time it will migrate to the web almost entirely but the removal of drivers licence issuing from motor tax offices surely means most o f them will need to be closed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Motor tax only works in periods of months, so they don't care if you buy a car on July 1 or July 31 - if you own a car for a microsecond during a month, you have to pay the car tax for the whole month. Unfair, but that's the way it is :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Yakuza wrote: »
    Motor tax only works in periods of months, so they don't care if you buy a car on July 1 or July 31 - if you own a car for a microsecond during a month, you have to pay the car tax for the whole month. Unfair, but that's the way it is :(

If you buy the car on the last day of the month you are not liable for that month. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yes, and your better to do it now or as you'll be paying for this month too......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Marcusm wrote: »
    I still can't understand why they don't simply add this to the list of things you can do at a post office as in the UK.

That would mean having to fire most of the staff who work at the council offices front desk. They are civil servants. This is Ireland, they can't be fired!

Advertisement