Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking Tenant for Rent

Options
  • 03-07-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Hi,

I am the owner occupier of a house and have one tenant. She's been living there since 28 February and doesn't want to set up direct payment from bank for her rent so is to pay at the start of every month. On the 1st of April there was no rent from her so on the 3rd I had to ask her for it and got it on the 4th. Then it was fine at the start of May she paid and again she paid on the 31st of May for June as she was going to be off for the first week of June.

Now its the 3rd of July and I hate to ask for her it again. We all have bills to pay and I wouldn't be renting out the room if I didn't need the money. How can I polite ask her again for the money. Was just going to say oh by the way would you happen to have your rent? I am hoping she doesn't think that just because she was off on hols for a week that it means she doesn't pay for that week !

Maybe she has just forgotten but when you live in someone else home you should at least remember to pay your rent on time.

Thanks for listening, just a ranting now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Send her a text - "hi xxx, can you please drop over/transfer the rent asap, thanks."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Shes your tenant not your BFF, ask her for the money directly this time for the last time and request that a direct debit is set up from there on, to save you both a lot of pain and hassle. If she says no and you can survive without then get rid...if not tell her it is on that date no matter what and no excuses whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Give her a definite date on which you expect the money/cheque to be in your hand. If its not then get on her case about it. Youre her landlord; not her parent. She is taking the piss because she knows you are taking the soft approach with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

djimi wrote: »
    Give her a definite date on which you expect the money/cheque to be in your hand. If its not then get on her case about it. Youre her landlord; not her parent. She is taking the piss because she knows you are taking the soft approach with her.

she knows its to be the 1st of the month - I guess its the problem that she is older than me that I hate asking but am going to say it to her when she gets in this evening.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Sounds like you need to have a stern chat with her and remind her when rent is due, and that seeing as how you are both adults you dont appreciate having to chase every month for the money.

If the problem persists insist on her paying by standing order. If she doesnt like that then remind her that she is a lodger and that she can and will be replaced by someone who can pay their rent on time.

• Advertisement

Just leave a note on the fridge saying "Waiting on the rent money". Also leave one on her pillow and the TV screen. Finally, leave one on the toilet seat saying "Don't take the piss, I want my money".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ruthiepie

I'm living with an owner occupier and also another flat mate at the moment. Owner was constantly having problems every month getting the rent off the other guy. The owner would be a bit like you and hates having to bring stuff like this into conversation.

It got to a point though where he was nearly 2 weeks over the agreed payment date!!! :eek: He sent him a text (cos he also doesn't like doing it) and told him that it really wasn't on and that he'd have to set up a Direct Debit cos it couldn't keep going on like this. Seems to have solved the problem and rent has been on time ever since.

I would def recommend you asking to set up a Direct Debit/Standing Order, at least you know then it'll go out every month automatically and you won't have to seem like the bad guy chasing up the money. As I said to my landlord, it's not as if he's renting out of the goodness of his heart. He's doing this cos he needs the rent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

shoes34 wrote: »
    she knows its to be the 1st of the month - I guess its the problem that she is older than me that I hate asking but am going to say it to her when she gets in this evening.

Thanks.
    The trouble is if you hate asking her and feel uncomfortable, she is going to know that. Doesn't matter that she is older than you, it's your place and she owes you rent. You need to be in charge of this situation and be assertive, if not it could lead to other problems later on where she doesn't respect you or your property.

Tell her it is not up to you to chase her for the rent and you shouldn't have to ask her for it days after she should have paid it.
    It is due on the 1st of every month and if she doesn't want to pay on time then she needs to live elsewhere.

Don't feel nervous saying it to her, just take charge and you'll feel better. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

She's been there for four months if I read the OP correctly. Two 'oopsies' in that time period is something I'd come down hard on or you'll find yourself in difficulties down the line. Insist on a Direct Debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

She's been there 4 months and has "forgotten" to pay her rent twice? She is taking the piss OP. If you don't start standing up to her and putting your foot down, she'll keep on doing so. Tell her that if she is late with the rent one more time, you will start eviction proceedings against her. That'll soften her cough in a hurry.

I am not saying that you should always turf someone out on the street if they are having financial difficulties, but (a) you are not a charity and (b) she should have paid you the courtesy of coming to you to talk to you about it, to see if she can work something out. Not paying the rent at all, and making you hound her for it is just not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She's your tenant, not your friend, but she's treating you like a soft touch. Get this months rent off her, and then give her 30 days notice to piss off.

FYI, as a owner occupier you can give her 24 hours notice if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

She may or may not be aware that this is an issue.

Do you have a deposit from her?
    Just leave a note on the fridge saying "Waiting on the rent money". Also leave one on her pillow and the TV screen. Finally, leave one on the toilet seat saying "Don't take the piss, I want my money".

Whatever about the humour of this post, the underlined comment is inappropriate.

Advertisement