Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waltons music store Blanchardstown Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Great. Nothing else like it around. I hope it's very successful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

This pleases me, but may upset my bank manager!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i cant wait for it wonder what it would be like!!i think it would be good business,to have a proper go at it and make it a professional store rather than some random music shop in a industrial estate thats a pain in the arse to get to !! i know id want to be in it every day and also if the prices were right, id buy my music gear from there rather than thomann or x music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

There is a music store in Coolmine Industrial Estate connected to the Blanchardstown School of Music near Powercity. it is useful for consumables and saves me going to town or x-music. They have some instruments there - I have seen guitars, some drum stuff, percussion etc. Not sure what they would think of Waltons opening nearby. Personally, I welcome the prospect but I still find Waltons very expensive compared to Thomann.de and x-music. But it is going to be on my doorstep :)
    Thanks OP for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Only problem with Blanch is its always seems to be bad for traffic. That coolmine store just seems to feed the music school, they don't seem to carry much stock and its a bit pricey. But they seem friendly bunch, and I check it out if I'm in power city for any reason. P

Waltons over the years has always seemed expensive and the staff not that friendly. Prices seem to have come down in recent years. But they seem to make it work to last this long. So fair play to them for that. It would be great to have a music store to wander through when in Blanch though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Yeah I dropped 70 beans on a gig bag in Coolmine Music not too long ago. Just didn't want to go to town. I could've gotten a cheaper one, but they were just so flimsy.

Defintely welcome a Waltons. Just handy for picks and leads and bits and bobs. Even just a wander.

i dont mean to be rude but i dont know how waltons will make any real business with people thinking that waltons is a good idea opening just for the odd wander and just going in there to get plecks leads or strings etc!! i think it might be used by people in the wrong way,people might just go there to try out a guitars,pedals or any music gear and then go try and find that certain item cheaper somewhere else like thomann,musicstore or online!! i think waltons really need to lower their prices to get realistic business , i know if they did i would defo shop and get my stuff in there!! i wouldnt mind paying the extra 20 or 30 euro for an item that i could get online cheaper, if that means supporting local, thats what id do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

If they price match to Thomann's for gear like pedals, amps, and other accessories then I'll happily buy from them (some places will do that now).
    I wouldn't buy an instrument online (again) anyway, would rather try it first.
    I will however spend a lot of time just mooching in the shop, same as I would if I was in town! :)

A V A wrote: »
    i dont mean to be rude but i dont know how waltons will make any real business with people thinking that waltons is a good idea opening just for the odd wander and just going in there to get plecks leads or strings etc!! i think it might be used by people in the wrong way,people might just go there to try out a guitars,pedals or any music gear and then go try and find that certain item cheaper somewhere else like thomann,musicstore or online!! i think waltons really need to lower their prices to get realistic business , i know if they did i would defo shop and get my stuff in there!! i wouldnt mind paying the extra 20 or 30 euro for an item that i could get online cheaper, if that means supporting local, thats what id do

But you act like that doesn't happen already. And at the same time, Waltons in town, Instrumental, Music Maker, etc. are still around. You don't go into an instrument shop to buy a guitar, amp or piano every other day like. However I would buy picks or leads on a more regular basis. It's these types of consumables that keep these shops in cash flow.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

Good to see a bit of diversity in the centre but Waltons? Rip off merchants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

JoePie wrote: »
    But you act like that doesn't happen already. And at the same time, Waltons in town, Instrumental, Music Maker, etc. are still around. You don't go into an instrument shop to buy a guitar, amp or piano every other day like. However I would buy picks or leads on a more regular basis. It's these types of consumables that keep these shops in cash flow.

Instrumental is still open!?

Instrumental is still open!?

Oh woops. It isn't. Meant Perfect Pitch. Or whatever that shop a few doors down from Music Maker is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

I find the guys in Coolmine very helpful and very friendly. I am no expert when it comes to the instruments but I have bought bits and pieces and always found their Customer service top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I hope they don't loose their hole on this venture.
    Rent Vs sales

yeah sure look at xmusic , now its only the one unit , the unit where the guitar and amp shop was is now vacant

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Anyone have any idea if they are hiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

For some reason I thought it was opening in the empty unit in Currys/DFS retail park but saw a sign in the centre at the weekend saying it will open in the empty unit between TK Maxx and Lifestyle in the other retail park. I think that's the first time that unit has been occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

every time I spend money in that center I wonder how much is going to the mad rent the shops have to pay. It puts me off going there and no wonder shops don't do well there.
    Still I hope waltons makes a good go of it... nice to see one of them empty holes filled with something intresting..

it will be a success if it does good price and competes well with the likes of thomann and gak and especially X music. i can see people traveling to blanchardstown if they have better stock etc cause i know now that x music dont have as much stock and they went from a double unit to a single unit .i think the unit waltons went for is a perfect size for them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Jade182 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea if they are hiring?

They've already done it. I think they are closing one of the shops in town so probably some of the staff will move out and they were hiring some new ones but have it all done already.
    every time I spend money in that center I wonder how much is going to the mad rent the shops have to pay. It puts me off going there and no wonder shops don't do well there.

They're not going to do well if people avoid them to spite the centre. Most of the new shops have a percentage profit rent deal so they're not paying as much as the shops that have been there longer.

i wonder will there be any promotions on for the opening day

so has anybody been up to see it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I was up there yesterday. It's two floors, wide range of instruments.

Had draws yesterday and today for a keyboard and guitar.

Good turnout too, I didn't see any promotions for the opening weekend though. :pac:

popped in for a minute before they were closing, definitely going back up for a proper look tomorrow

I didn't spend long in there. It new and gleaming. Its a very narrow long store with the result the guitars are in 3 rows in height on the wall, and there isn't a lot of floor space the middle is full of drums and other displays. decent range of stock though, if you can see/reach it.

Very little had prices on it, so wasn't much point windows shopping. I was hoping there might have been some offers on, but other than the draw I didn't see any. So no temptation to impulse buy anything. Kinda missed a trick there I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Anyone notice how big their selection of sheet music is?

lots of music books in the middle of the floor.

I didn't see any promotions for the opening weekend though. :pac:

Nah, Waltons is the kind of place where you just have to be a bit cheeky up at the till and ask for a discount. More often than not you'll get it. Or something small thrown in.

The trial booths upstairs are handy. Tried out a sweet amp and then spent money I didn't have on it. Love having a Waltons now. TAKE ALL MY MONEY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I was on Frederick street earlier in the week and the Waltons there has closed. They've clearly decided they don't need two shops in town.

Advertisement