Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction for being uncivil.

Options
  • 03-07-2013 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I was infracted in this thread after a long series of baiting posts by another poster.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056983074

I feel an infraction is too harsh for my actions:

1. I repeatedly tried to keep the discussion on track and ignore the baiting.
    2. The post red carded warranted a warning not a red card.
    3. The baiter was acting as a wind-up merchant throughout every post on the thread.
    4. Finally, Banning me from posting on my own thread is unnecessarily harsh give the level of provocation.

I'd like to appeal the infraction. I have PM'd the mod and been directed here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi MadsL,

One of the Rec CMods will look into this and get back to you.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Penn wrote: »
    Hi MadsL,

One of the Rec CMods will look into this and get back to you.

Thanks.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

MadsL wrote: »
    I feel an infraction is too harsh for my actions:

1. I repeatedly tried to keep the discussion on track and ignore the baiting.
    2. The post red carded warranted a warning not a red card.
    3. The baiter was acting as a wind-up merchant throughout every post on the thread.
    4. Finally, Banning me from posting on my own thread is unnecessarily harsh give the level of provocation.

1. You responded to most of the baiting by being equally antagonistic and aggressive.
    2. The infraction was for more than that post. The Mod Note on the infraction states "Note: For overall behaviour on the thread."
    3. You didn't report any of those posts. If you felt someone was trolling or trying to bait you into an argument, you shouldn't have responded to it. Instead, you gave as good as you got and ended up with the same punishment as him.
    4. Even before the circular argument in question, you were very aggressive, condescending and antagonistic towards most people who disagreed with you. Being the starter of a thread doesn't give you any privileges. You were providing as much provocation to others than was being directed at you.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85337942&postcount=117
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85338591&postcount=123
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85343534&postcount=176

I see no reason to overturn the moderators decision. You may ask for an admin to review this decision if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So vigorously defending a point is against the charter? I don't really see that some robust phrases are really against the charter - especially when responding to absolute nonsense. Which of those posts are infractable? Do we really have to debate topics with white gloves on?

The first post you highlighted I responded by calling irrelevant guff out, and giving a further example of why the point was irrelevant. No insults there.

The second post I asked for explanations of the posters assertion and reflected that the misinformed were calling the other side misinformed. Again no insults.

The third post I am responding to being told I am posting "bulls**t and hot air." note the poster is not infracted with a response resorting to insults. My response is just that the poster is ignorant on the matter as I have already posted links to support my argument. No insults.

The other poster who posts "Get a life buddy.....or maybe a job" is responded to with "Protip: When you are finishing your argument by telling other internet posters that they need to get a life and a job you pretty much have admitted you have run out of argument. Game over really." Again no insults from me. Nor any infraction for this poster.

So there are two posts in that thread that are infractable. And I did not respond by insulting or posting infractable posts. Yet the mod singles out myself and the other posted infracted.

As for reporting posts, the last post I reported was this
    "hey muppets gotta muppet right? Edit: yes i am resorting to insults for fun because debating issues with you and your ilk is just pointless."

Now I remember when calling someone a muppet was a instant ban.

The mod response:
    humanji wrote: »
    Folks, give the bickering a rest.

So, not even a yellow card. Even when the offender admits to insulting another poster.

I also reported a post "Typical yanks, bunch of ****ing weirdos!" where it was deemed that this was acceptable and within the charter.

Frankly I think infracting both parties in this particular case is unfair, given the level of trolling and baiting by the other party and by two other posters, but I'll accept the ban and put the troll on ignore. I see he has been infracted again recently.

However the prevailing zeitgeist regarding modding is that insulting posters seems to be ok and you can get away with some nasty personal barbs, but the moment anyone responds to trolling or personal insults get absolutely slammed with an infraction simply for eventually responding to nastiness.

Thanks for taking a look. EDIT: And thanks for modding, I reread this and it seems like I am attacking the mods, I'm not. It just seems that get into a ding-dong is now one of the biggest 'crimes' on boards above hit and run insulting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement