Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faulty Sim or am i being taken for a ride

• 03-07-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

hey guys. got an iphone 4s on sat...thrilled with it until I started using it and had the following issues with the fb app:
    -newsfeed will not update itself unless I go into the app, as in when I go in theres stuff on it that's about 5 hours old, while im waiting for an update my battery is running down.
    -when someone comments on my page etc, I don't get notified unless I go into the app, click for an update and wait an age for it (minor miracle on mon when I got a notification w/o having to go into the app)
    -same problems with the twitter app
    -safari working VERY VERY slowly.
    I live in a rural area so coverage is always edge...had a blackberry prior to this with edge coverage also and NEVER had problems with fb. Last night I got so angry I took the sim out of my iphone and put it into my bb (its a new sim that came with iphone) and even though my bb can make/get calls and txts and the fb app is on it, it says 'no newsfeeds available and also it wont let me surf the net anymore. called meteor (for the 7th time) and they tell me its a sim issue as fb wont work on either device.
    Other relevant infor-my partner has Samsung galaxy 3 and is meteor also and his phone is fine 95% of the time, he can check mail, go online etc.
    When I go to my local town, 3G comes on the phone and it works fine.
    I ve synched it with iTunes, deleated and downloaded app again and nothing seems to be working. its not that I am a fb addict, its the principal of firstly the cost of buying the phone and the bill that comes with it when the phone wont perform. Meteor say there are no coverage issues in my area and that coz the bb worked fine, the iphone should too.

Any feedback would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Have you tried doing a complete reset of the phone? You can do so by going to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings. NOTE: But make sure you backup your iPhone using iTunes on your PC first. When your phone is reset, try using Safari and installing the Facebook app again. Then restoring your backup from iTunes with your iPhone plugged into your computer.

Also, what iOS version are you using? You can check by going to Settings -> General -> About. You'll find the version number there. If it's not the latest iOS 6.1.3, I suggest updating it to the latest firmware (unless you want a version that can be used to jailbreak, only 6.1.2 or below can be jailbroken).

Does your sim card work for online browsing? Have you tried browsing using wi-fi only? If you can't get online, obviously apps that need to be online access won't work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Sim cards have little to nothing to do with the software on the phone.

If it was updated recently or the facebook/twitter app is slow try deleting them and re downloading so they are completely standardised.
    Make sure the iPhone is upgraded fully as well.

Try a full factory restore. Clean slate. Update the iPhone to the most modern firmware and redownload all the apps you want from the appstore.

Is it jailbroken? It can take up resources, making the phone slow and unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭wishinonastar

not sure what you mean by jailbroken?

Have already tried the whole deleate, download route twice guys and no joy im afraid. Plus I am very puzzled as to why the app wont work at all on my bb....

Is there an app called Cydia on the iPhone.

• Advertisement

not sure Corvo Attano....have the phone off since last night and the sim taken out of it too. Not at home at the moment to check.

Right. When you get home see if Cydia is on it.

Did you redownload the apps from iTunes or the appstore?

Downloaded them from the app store but when I did that I didn't have the phone synched with iTunes...deleated the app after that and downloaded it again...from the app store.

Hmmm curious. We'll just have to wait and see if its jailbroken. Which isnt a bad thing dont get worried if it is.

what does jailbroken mean? lol I am not too good with technology!

• Advertisement

Its a way of getting out of Apples technology restraints. It give more freedom of choice but takes already strained resources from the iPhone which makes it slow.

Read up on it if you have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Open up safari and type http://www.facebook.com/home.php this will bring you to the main site, see how it performs then

cheers for that! Like I said I don't want to pay a bill for something that wont work properly.

will this not run down the battery very quick? that's the irony of the iphone...you get warned to look after the battery when u buy it but for mine to do anything the battery gets worn down...

Is it new or second hand?

brand new. So frustrating because the only reason I got it was coz the camera on my bb is pretty rubbish, didn't forsee any problems with using fb on the iphone because I never had issues with the bb, even on the edge setting. Sim card is in my bb now and fb not working there either.

I assumed it was second hand with the OP.

This changes everything. Its definitely not jailbroken.

Is it possible you had too many apps running in the background. That causes unstableness and slowness.

thought of that too and my brother shut them down. all that was running though was twitter and gmail....do u have to shut them down every few hours? like I said on Monday evening I could have jumped for joy as I got a comment notification and everything worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Everything is working fine, its your coverage thats the problem.

It help to shut them down when you hve no need for them to basically be on rapid response. You'll still get notifications and all even if they arnt in the immediate background.

did you say you did or didnt test this on Wi-Fi?

• Advertisement

and to shut them down, I just hold them down is that right?

if you quickly double click the home button a bar should appear at the bottom with all currently running apps.

great will try that. thank you. The meteor team have advised me to take it back to shop and get new sim as they feel that coz the sim wont work fb on the bb either that that's the problem but would like to try a few things myself first.

A new sim cant hurt. They should provide it free and as long as your sim isnt dead they can transfer all your contacts.

Hopefully that's the problem. Half of me says to just get on with it, so what if its slow but the other half says that its not doing what its meant to do

A brand new one shouldnt be that slow. Try my suggestion of double clicking the home button. Its basically a taskmanager for iPhones. If that dosent work try the sim and if that dosent work a brand spanking new phone.

only thing is if I do need a new phone whats to say I wont have the same problem? even though meteor have assured me 3 times that coverage isn't an issue...

@ davo2001, I was worried about that too but coverage was never an issue with bb, its not an issue on my partners phone either (Samsung galaxy, same network) and meteor have run tests to see if there are issues in my area and theres not.

only thing is if I do need a new phone whats to say I wont have the same problem? even though meteor have assured me 3 times that coverage isn't an issue...

You say that the phone is running slower than it should and they'll either check it over or give you a new one.

Be specific about that problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

hey guys. got an iphone 4s on sat...thrilled with it until I started using it and had the following issues with the fb app:
    -newsfeed will not update itself unless I go into the app, as in when I go in theres stuff on it that's about 5 hours old, while im waiting for an update my battery is running down.
    -when someone comments on my page etc, I don't get notified unless I go into the app, click for an update and wait an age for it (minor miracle on mon when I got a notification w/o having to go into the app)
    -same problems with the twitter app
    -safari working VERY VERY slowly.
    I live in a rural area so coverage is always edge...had a blackberry prior to this with edge coverage also and NEVER had problems with fb. Last night I got so angry I took the sim out of my iphone and put it into my bb (its a new sim that came with iphone) and even though my bb can make/get calls and txts and the fb app is on it, it says 'no newsfeeds available and also it wont let me surf the net anymore. called meteor (for the 7th time) and they tell me its a sim issue as fb wont work on either device.
    Other relevant infor-my partner has Samsung galaxy 3 and is meteor also and his phone is fine 95% of the time, he can check mail, go online etc.
    When I go to my local town, 3G comes on the phone and it works fine.
    I ve synched it with iTunes, deleated and downloaded app again and nothing seems to be working. its not that I am a fb addict, its the principal of firstly the cost of buying the phone and the bill that comes with it when the phone wont perform. Meteor say there are no coverage issues in my area and that coz the bb worked fine, the iphone should too.

Any feedback would be great!

This is your problem. Should of went with a network that has full 3g coverage in your area.

Advertisement