Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for nice egg noodles

Options
  • 03-07-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I always buy Sharwood's Medium Egg Noodles..you know the dried ones that you boil for 4 minutes, and they've always served me well, but I'm tiring of the texture now.

I really want egg noodles that look like this when cooked:

http://www.sweetfineday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/eggnoodles1.jpg

Sharwood's Noodles look like this when they're cooked:

http://chillies.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/noodle.jpg

Some might say they look the same, but they're not.
    Sharwood's are a bit claggy, grey looking and the ones I'm looking for are more yellow and soft, not chewy.

Sorry if I'm not making any sense but to summarise: I'm looking for soft noodles, not chewy grey rubbery ones.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I might be wrong, but the ones in the first picture look like they're fresh noodles designed to be stir fried, rather than dried ones designed to be boiled. You can usually get fresh noodles in Tesco & M&S, at least, in the fridge section near the stir fry stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Faith wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but the ones in the first picture look like they're fresh noodles designed to be stir fried, rather than dried ones designed to be boiled. You can usually get fresh noodles in Tesco & M&S, at least, in the fridge section near the stir fry stuff.

Ah I think you might be right.
    I wondered if it was because Sharwood's were dried that they took on that chewy rubbery texture.
    I'll definitely check out the fresh ones, thanks Faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I used to buy dried noodles in the Asian Market in Drury St which were easily the best noodles I have every tasted and had a great texture, no matter what you did with them. There was not brand,m they just came in a plastic bag, You should try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

huskerdu wrote: »
    I used to buy dried noodles in the Asian Market in Drury St which were easily the best noodles I have every tasted and had a great texture, no matter what you did with them. There was not brand,m they just came in a plastic bag, You should try them.
    ditto to this, although I get mine in the Asian supermarket behind the Jervis centre.

they are literally just in a clear unbranded plastic bag, usually with varying thicknesses available, but hands down the best noodles you'll find outside of Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agree with both the posters above. I buy mine in an Asian store here in Bray, completely unbranded in plastic bags in a big anonymous cardboard box :) Best noodles I've ever had.

By the way, if you're putting them into a dish with any amount of sauce in them, I find it best to try not to cook them too much before hand, as they'll continue to cook and absorb some liquid from the sauce while you're stirring them into the dish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement