Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cooker hood for internal wall

• 03-07-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭

My cooker hood/extractor fan is buggered, the filter cover was bodged on by a previous owner and is now even more bodged on after changing it a while back. Its never going to be changed reliably again.

I am having incredible trouble finding a similar hood, or even anything vaguely suitable. I live in a terraced house so the cooker is on a party wall, and its currently vented by a rectangular cross-section flexible plastic pipe which goes to a vent on the wall. This runs along the top of the kitchen units and isn't visible due to a pelmet on them (1990s design can have some uses). Its hidden behind and activated by pulling out a fake cabinet front but I've no reason to require a new one to do that.

Basically every hood I've seen on the market has a massive "tower" or similar on top which is obviously designed to hide the vent going out. Old fashioned ones where you just put up with the pipe out the top looking ugly don't seem to exist anymore.

Are the "tower" style ones, which generally look much nicer at the business end than the old ones did to begin with, adaptable to work in this kind of situation? Or do I have to seek out something of an older design? If I can have the pipe run out the side, I really don't care if it looks a bit bad as I do intend to completely re-do the kitchen in a few years, I just want it to work till then.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What you currently have is an integrated hood, with a kitchen panel which matches the rest of the kitchen hiding it.
    Example: http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/products/-/products/F079810

There is the older style freestanding hood, aka Standard Hood. This screws to the back of the wall, though does kinda need something above it to hide the top. And yeah, they still exist, a few brands do them, they might not necessarily be on display in shops though, as they don't look as fancy as chimney hoods.
    Example: http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/products/-/products/F030121

The "tower" style ones are chimney hoods, grand if your ducting can go straight up or out.

The prices of both standard and integrated hoods are usually around the same sub-100 mark price wise, with the chimney ones maybe a bit dearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where actually has integrated or standard ones on sale anymore though? If I've a model number the local electrical shop can get Hotpoint stuff in but he'd be far from cheap.

byte

God, I'd have thought most electrical retailers would have them.

Not only Hotpoint btw, that was just an example. Candy, Zanussi, AirStream, Cata, etc.

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=45-43&cat=Integrated%20,%20Laundry,%20Cooking%20,%20Cooling,%20Extractors&action=brandstory is a list on PC's site for example. On that list, the Airstream Standard hood (aka Visor hood) has a twin fan (not motor as mentioned) and relatively good extraction rate compared to rivals, which would be handy if the steam has to be pushed through a long vent pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I know Faber do a selection of standard and integrated cooker hoods...you can get their range from a load of different places. A quick google should sort you out, depending on where you're based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

MYOB wrote: »
    Where actually has integrated or standard ones on sale anymore though? If I've a model number the local electrical shop can get Hotpoint stuff in but he'd be far from cheap.
    The paneling centre, santry, €49 for a 600mm integrated. Good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭JASOND29

check out the elica k3032gr twin motor canopy hood retails at 79 and very good quailty

byte

JASOND29 wrote: »
    check out the elica k3032gr twin motor canopy hood retails at 79 and very good quailty
    He doesn't have a canopy to put one of those up into, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭JASOND29

if its a visor hood electrolux do one in white black or stainless steel for 99 euros and any decent electrical shop will have a few visor hoods in stock powerpoint do them at 69

Advertisement