Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Temple Closed/Bought?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey all, was wondering if any one has heard anything about The Temple being closed and apparently bought?the

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Honestly cant say i ever hear too much about it. I assume it is still struggling to keep up with Foundry?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jolou86

well, i heard the guy with it now is selling/has sold it....Rumours of another over 25s bar...so that makes 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

That place has been for sale since 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i had heard rumours that the owners couldnt make the payments and the tenant took over the bank payments. that may have changed in the meantime, i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Whats needed at that premises to make it compete? It seems the dance music scene just isnt strong enough, or appealing enough to keep the venue alive.

• Advertisement

people need to realise that upper tullow street isnt actually that far away. then again, carlow isnt renowned for bothering to support entertainment that isnt a cattlemark type disco.

a good live music venue is needed...A spot that doesn't limit itself to the usual cover bands too... wouldn't it be great to have a spot in town where there could be some well known bands, comedy and things like that. I know the GB Shaw has comedy etc but I think it'd be great if Carlow had a 'venue', not another night club or something but a proper venue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

jolou86 wrote: »
    a good live music venue is needed...A spot that doesn't limit itself to the usual cover bands too... wouldn't it be great to have a spot in town where there could be some well known bands, comedy and things like that. I know the GB Shaw has comedy etc but I think it'd be great if Carlow had a 'venue', not another night club or something but a proper venue...

There was, and it wasn't supported well enough and that was that. It was the music factory, where the temple is now.
    The had the doves, the frames, embrace, babyshambles, the walls and shítloads more that i can't think of at the moment. Out of them i think the frames sold out, and doves got a good crowd, but the rest was 40% full at best, so the doors for the nightclub (after the gig) were opened early and people were let in to fill the crowd out.
    In the cellar bar of the MF there were gig nights for local artists, and up and coming acts from around (fight like apes played there).
    Carlow has never been a town for live music unless you want someone to cover killers and kings of leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Have to agree with Thundercats.

I went to Doves which sold out but Badly Drawn Boy turned into a farce. They were letting anyone in to make up a crowd and one drunken woman started to abuse him which he didn't react well to, in the end he has to be restrained as he wanted to deck her.

Similar situation when Ian Browne played Foundry as part of the Heineken sessions; another drunken woman abused him and he decided to thrown a full water bottle at her which landed right on her forehead.

Lessons:
    1. Don't mess with Manchester acts even if you are a woman;
    2. Acts won't play Carlow if they are going to be abused;
    3. People need to be educated regarding drinking.

The music factory was doing that - in fact fight like apes, delorentos, ham sandwich, windings, giveamanakick etc all played in there but attendance was always brutal. People in carlow have to accept that in order to have a good live venue, people need to get up off their arses and support such venues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Temple closed last night for good.

Don't think we'll be seeing it open again for a long time.

i heard it'll open in September but I could be wrong. And re the comments about when it was a live venue... I'm not originally from Carlow so clearly I missed out on there being a decent venue. Just an awful shame to hear it wasn't supported or people got too pissed and ruined it....typical...

another one bits the dust. theres a great collection of places in that complex - someones bound to work out how to make it work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that location will never be anything other than a club for people who are barred from the foundry

*never*

best of luck to anyone who tries to do anything with it

but... *never*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

That's exactly it. The place has a bad name for being rough going back to when it was Saints and Sinners (the first time!) I know the Foundry can be rough but some of the people that stood outside smoking didnt exactly make it "inviting". I love live music but im not going to spend a lot of money to go to a rough bar.

that area in general though could do with someone smart getting in and taking over. That walkway to the back of the Superquinn car park has so many unused retail units it'd be a great little spot if some good stuff went in. What Carlow needs is no more 'novelty' shops, no more high end clothes shops and niche shops just some generic good stuff. I mean today, myself and my fella went into town-he wanted a regular pair of lads 3/4 length shorts and I wanted a dress to wear to a christening. Nothing fancy just a summer dress that didn't cost a bomb and fit well. We literally went to every shop and he found one pair of half decent shorts upstairs at heatons and I managed to find something ok in New Look. New look doesn't even have a lads section as it does in most areas and I will say selection for men's clothing is not so great. If there could be one shop in Carlow that had clothes that did not just consist of skinny jeans and Rihanna/USA t-shirts that would be deadly. sorry, rant over, it's just today was so frustrating we were considering heading to Kilkenny or Newbridge just to try find 2 half decent items of clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

that area in general though could do with someone smart getting in and taking over. That walkway to the back of the Superquinn car park has so many unused retail units it'd be a great little spot if some good stuff went in. What Carlow needs is no more 'novelty' shops, no more high end clothes shops and niche shops just some generic good stuff. I mean today, myself and my fella went into town-he wanted a regular pair of lads 3/4 length shorts and I wanted a dress to wear to a christening. Nothing fancy just a summer dress that didn't cost a bomb and fit well. We literally went to every shop and he found one pair of half decent shorts upstairs at heatons and I managed to find something ok in New Look. New look doesn't even have a lads section as it does in most areas and I will say selection for men's clothing is not so great. If there could be one shop in Carlow that had clothes that did not just consist of skinny jeans and Rihanna/USA t-shirts that would be deadly. sorry, rant over, it's just today was so frustrating we were considering heading to Kilkenny or Newbridge just to try find 2 half decent items of clothing.

+1000

I mean I like Penneys and all....but I wouldn't say no to some variety

Nead21 wrote: »
    That's exactly it. The place has a bad name for being rough going back to when it was Saints and Sinners (the first time!) I know the Foundry can be rough but some of the people that stood outside smoking didnt exactly make it "inviting". I love live music but im not going to spend a lot of money to go to a rough bar.

Jaysus, you could say it had a bad name when it was Archies, but bad name or not, it's as rough as anywhere else in the town. I actually found it to be a pretty decent place tbh. We ran many gigs in there for 2 or 3 years without ever a bit of bother.

Advertisement