Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrots ! From seed

• 03-07-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I grew these from seeds and have them in a green house (aldi special ! ) I wonder how should I proceed now they appear I think ready to move I probably prefer to plant them in another large flower box than my garden ... Are they ready to move !? Any advice appreciated

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well in fact you can't grow carrots any way other than from seed, because they really don't take kindly to being transplanted. If you do transplant them you need a good depth of soil -minimum 30cm - make very deep holes with a stick and carefully 'hang' a carrot into each. Keep the shoulders of the carrot at soil level and gently nudge the soil back into the hole, water into place.

The main problems will be that the roots may have already started twisting, so you are going to get wonky carrots, and disturbing them will attract every carrot fly in the surrounding counties.

If you grow them again, sow them in rows into the soil of the veg garden, they do not need any special attention in greenhouses etc., all you have to do is thin them so they have room to grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

looksee wrote: »
    Well in fact you can't grow carrots any way other than from seed, because they really don't take kindly to being transplanted. If you do transplant them you need a good depth of soil -minimum 30cm - make very deep holes with a stick and carefully 'hang' a carrot into each. Keep the shoulders of the carrot at soil level and gently nudge the soil back into the hole, water into place.

The main problems will be that the roots may have already started twisting, so you are going to get wonky carrots, and disturbing them will attract every carrot fly in the surrounding counties.

If you grow them again, sow them in rows into the soil of the veg garden, they do not need any special attention in greenhouses etc., all you have to do is thin them so they have room to grow.

Thanks a mill it was the young lad they wanted to grow them I had no knowledge ! I suppose I will leave them for another while and maybe I will have a few baby carrots ! Would you have any idea by looking at the photos are there likely to be anything there yet ? If I picked them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Would be very very small if there is anything there , i wouldn't look to go picking them for at least another month or until they are about twice that size. You can scratch around the soil where the stalk meets the ground to get an idea of the carrot head size, easiest way to guesstimate what's going on under the soil - then cover over the head you unearthed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

I would take out some of the baby carrots were there are large clumps, that should bring on the others beside it then.

Advertisement