Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inconsistent/one sided modding in the politics forums.

Options
  • 03-07-2013 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

After receiving several 'warnings' on the property tax thread, I thought I'd highlight the inconsistent modding that goes on on this forum in particular.

A few yellow cards I received for posts such as telling a poster they were naive (justified if a bit harsh)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84452276&postcount=101

Then I receive a yellow card for telling a poster they were on the verge of trolling

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84664317&postcount=655

Reason given was 'no trolling accusations in thread' yet here we have a post from a category mod
    This is a single warning for cageyeuclid - your current behaviour is very little short of trolling. Either up your game or leave it.

moderately,
    Scofflaw
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84717040&postcount=865

Could someone make it clear to me, do charters only apply to 'normal' posters? Are mods exempt from the charters?

Then I received a further yellow card, and the post deleted for this post .
    Originally Posted by SamHall viewpost.gif

Whoa.....

What?

Nobody that votes FG is on the dole, or works in PS?

Have you been drinking this morning or what?
    The drinking question was obviously a joke. Yet it got yellow carded.

This suicide 'joke' however did not:confused:
    Someone tell Attack the Tax!

To avoid paying penalties, all you have to do is kill yourself!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84768930&postcount=982

Seems if your're a govt supporter on the threads you can post more or less with impunity.

Its got to the point now that I'm unsure whats sanctionable and whats not. I wish the mods would sort it out tbh.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

SamHall wrote: »
    Then I receive a yellow card for telling a poster they were on the verge of trolling

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84664317&postcount=655

Reason given was 'no trolling accusations in thread' yet here we have a post from a category mod

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84717040&postcount=865

Could someone make it clear to me, do charters only apply to 'normal' posters? Are mods exempt from the charters?

He was quite obviously posting in his capacity of Moderator. Of course he's allowed to post like that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Calling someone out as a troll can be seen as a form of back seat modding. Obviously this isn't an offence for a mod as its their job to make these calls and warn such users on thread.
    The drinking question was obviously a joke. Yet it got yellow carded.

This suicide 'joke' however did not:confused:
    Your 'joke' was personal in that it was directed at another poster. The suicide remark was a general one and not one personal to a particular poster. Personal remarks such as yours always run the risk of cards.

Hope this clears it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Politics is modded waayyyy better than it used to be, in the bad old days when, as one example, even proposing the possibility that De Bert wasn't being entirely frank in his dealings was enough to get you booted from the forum, in which said unhappy circumstance tended to be accompanied by an acerbic comment and an excessively overbearing nature.

In this case, the mod is quite entitled to make these calls, in fact they'd have a pretty hard job if they couldn't do so. I think the current team is running the category better than it has ever been managed to date, and I'd say that as a user who would not agree with many of Cordially Scofflaw's beliefs (just picking him as the most prominent example-it's a great sign of a mod when they have different beliefs to you, and still appear to you to up to the mark in terms of impartiality).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We've an open all year round feedback thread in politics, tumbleweed running through it, nobody seems to bother with stickies and charters.

A mod is allowed to call out a user trolling or suspected to be trolling. A user isn't. One person is a mod and is part of their job.

These property tax threads seem far more bother than they are worth, some posters take things far too personally, and also think they should be the personal arbitrator of how mods mod.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

K-9 wrote: »
    We've an open all year round feedback thread in politics, tumbleweed running through it, nobody seems to bother with stickies and charters.

A mod is allowed to call out a user trolling or suspected to be trolling. A user isn't. One person is a mod and is part of their job.

These property tax threads seem far more bother than they are worth, some posters take things far too personally, and also think they should be the personal arbitrator of how mods mod.

Indeed.

With yellow cards dished out so willy nilly, (90% of the time to govt critics) it seems to be one side taking things personally and reporting posts.

On a side note, I can't get my head around how some posts (a few of my own for example) get deleted (and carded for being off topic) yet I see references to N.K and the vietnam war (as a very slight example) going un-edited.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My 2 cents
    you're truly a naive one M.A.
    That kind of comment is very condescending and dismissive of the previous poster regardless of what her opinion was.
    You're on the verge of trolling s*****. Being argumentive for the sake of it at the very least.
    Clear backseat modding which is against every charter on boards. Also see first point above.

Have you been drinking this morning or what?
    Again see point 1. On it's own this may be taken as a light hearted comment but coupled with your other personal comments I would see this as undermining the previous poster and derision of their point.

Generally politics is not after hours. It is serious discussion and that should be reflected in your posts. There is always room for appropriate humour but I don't see why any of these comments would qualify. Politics as a forum has the potential to be an absolute disaster and I think the mods do a pretty decent job in general of keeping the trolls and disruptive posters at bay.
    I have never seen a reasoned point with no abuse being infracted by a mod because of political leaning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Closing this as it really belongs in either the Helpdesk (as a complaint about moderation in a particular forum), or in the Feedback thread in Politics itself.

The OP has got answers regarding the points of moderation he brought up, and the thread now runs the risk of turning into whataboutery and discussing multiple instances of moderation in the hope of finding the winning one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement