Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slurry @ Ballycummin side of Dooradoyle

• 03-07-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I wish farmers would realise we are city folk living at the county border, heads up before you spray sh1t all over the place would be appreciated.

no point closing windows now :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I wish city folk would realise there are farmers living at the county border! Appreciation that farms and animals need treating every so often would be appreciated! etc, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

I wish city folk would realise there are farmers living at the county border! Appreciation that farms and animals need treating every so often would be appreciated! etc, etc...

I do appreciate my rural neighbour and I would never knowingly impede on his evening however important I thought it was, without at least the courtesy of informing him.

I know he was here first etc etc... just a heads up to close our windows would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

xii wrote: »
    I do appreciate my rural neighbour and I would never knowingly impede on his evening however important I thought it was, without at least the courtesy of informing him.

I know he was here first etc etc... just a heads up to close our windows would be appreciated.

And how would you suggest a farmer would communicate this message to the "locals"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

phog wrote: »
    And how would you suggest a farmer would communicate this message to the "locals"

I think they're doing the best they can already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

phog wrote: »

Let's not pretend the agricultural community are living in a internet vacuum, especially those living on the cusp of Dooradoyle.

so even a quick message here would suffice

Failing that..

An old school entry our parish newsletter, a call to 95fm , heads up to the residents committee, just to name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I wish farmers would realise we are city folk living at the county border, heads up before you spray sh1t all over the place would be appreciated.

no point closing windows now :mad:

Ever wonder where your litre of milk comes from?
    Or the fillet steak you get from the butcher?
    Farmers gotta do what farmers gotta do.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Slurry spreading activity is very weather dependent. If rain is imminent slurry cannot be spread. If it is currently raining, or just after raining, slurry cannot be spread. Usually it is just a case of taking the chance to get it out when a window of good weather allows. Newsletters etc. are, at best, weekly, and totally impractical for this purpose. In general if you see fields with the silage cut off them, slurry will be spread at the first opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Let's not pretend the agricultural community are living in a internet vacuum, especially those living on the cusp of Dooradoyle.

Failing that..

An old school entry our parish newsletter, a call to 95fm , heads up to the residents committee, just to name a few.

A bit of slurry never hurt anyone! A first world problem me thinks.

Without fertiliser the grass won't show enough growth. Think about that next time you're eating your steak and drinking your milk ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Failing that..

You're being silly now if you think the general population visit this forum.

Newsletters at best are once a week, so the farmer would need to know the weather would be suitable for spreading the manure to give this notice, then if the weather goes against him, he'd have to wait to give notice in next week's newsletter. He'd never get the slurry spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

The only notification of a slurry spread that would work to the general community is the smell from a slurry spread. Its a time limited thing so just get used to it and if it is really such an issue close your windows and burn a few incense sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I live surrounded by farms just outside the city, the smell of slurry is almost a constant, you get used to it. however when they agitate, thats a whole different story.

The farmers by me are kind enough not to do it at the weekends but other than that its a job they have to do and you just have to put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Why are the farmers obliged to let you know when they are spreading sh*te, herding cattle, or driving tractor on the road or obliged to let the neighbours know anything?

The worst thing that can happen in these scenarios are townies coming out telling country folk how they should do things.

You could move back into town, or move to London or Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I appreciate all sides of this argument but I am after losing three loads of fresh washing I had out on the clothes line that now smellof slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

this thread is gas (literally)

just be glad it sounds like cow slurry they are spreading, theres actually something nice i think about the smell of cow slurry on a fine evening

the smell off pig slurry is a whole different ball game though - gets stuck in the back of the nostrils for days ... uggghh

and dont get me started on chicken slurry, sweet jesus, that **** should be illegal

juneg wrote: »
    I appreciate all sides of this argument but I am after losing three loads of fresh washing I had out on the clothes line that now smellof slurry.

A grand healthy smell! Them's the breaks of living where one does...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

seachto7 wrote: »
    A grand healthy smell! Them's the breaks of living where one does...

Actually, I am glad its not pig slurry!! I know when I am well off! lol!

Yeah, Pig sh*t is pretty bad, but I'd rather the smell of healthy animal poop than car fumes anyday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Not to mention that all farmers in the surrounding area may not be spreading at the same time depending on contractor availability, weather, condition of their individual land parcels, what land is being grazed, silage etc. So do you want a warning every week.....

I cant believe the OP said the could go on live95fm and put out a warning. Thick as shiite or I mean slurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

This thread is a wind up, right? I mean I read the first post and thought OP, you have to be joking?!

Plus, you don't have to bring in your washing if slurry is being spread. It's only if the slurry gets on the clothes you have to worry.
    Don't ye townies know anything!? ;)

No sign of the original poster either. Maybe they realised how silly this thread is....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Always a good sign when slurry is being spread!! Sunshine follows :D

Advertisement